Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-ROM Problems

• 11-05-2001 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, ive had a long hard stroy with my computer and this is another problem.
    A couple of weeks ago my sister whacked my cd tray out of alignment and it wouldnt go back in.
    Being impatent with gateway i decided to sort it out myself a couple of weeks ago.
    I took out my CD-ROM and opened it up (luckily there was no warrenty sticker so im safe) and i realigned it.
    When I put my CD-ROM back in and set up the jumpers and **** i went into windows and my CD ROM would not read any info.
    Does anybody have any ideas on what caused this and how it could be fixed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Well... if you're not used to working on CD-ROM Drives etc. you can damage them by opening 'em up.

It's quite possible the knock it received may have damaged some componants internally also.

Is it being detected by Windows? I'm assuming it is since you say it wont read any info.

One thing you should do is make a Windows 98 boot disk, and boot into MS-DOS with CD-ROM support and try and read discs from there.

If you still get nothing, chances are the CD-ROM has been damaged somehow. They're pretty precise pieces of kit.

Depending on the type of CD-ROM, it may be easily repaired... however, you can pick up CD-ROM drives dirt cheap these days; so I wouldn't say it'd be worth getting it repaired.

I would say good chance your drive is b0rked thanks to being smacked about... best to get it replaced.

[This message has been edited by Kegser (edited 11-05-2001).]

Advertisement