Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Government introduce:- A New Internet access "Public Utility" service, ?...

Options
  • 15-04-2002 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Should our Government.

Introduce legislation for a "NEW" Public Utility Service - offering an unmetered internet access to every home at a fair- Flat Rate - cost,??.. for the benefit of all and not forgetting the business sector.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I think that would be a good idea to do that, although where will the government get the phone lines from?

I'm guessing that Eircom own most of the phone lines in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

That won't happen if FF get back into gov but it is a good idea, primerily it should be a nion-profit organisation, alternatively the government should only have to wave the threat of legislation directly against eircom and they should crumble as govs in other countries have or Korea which actually did legislate them I believe and has some of the best net infrastructure in the world (€16 for a ADSL line I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kennett,

Governments receive a mandate from the electorate. Too act on behalf of the best interests of their people, both socially and commercially.

In fact they have a responsibility to do so.

As for your question "Where will the government get the phone lines from?".

All I can say to that is we have given them the POWER, They have a duty to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Kennett
    I think that would be a good idea to do that, although where will the government get the phone lines from?

If they were to bother going that far, they might as well go the whole way and task this new utility with laying fiber to the home. The stuff pays for itself in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by longword

If they were to bother going that far, they might as well go the whole way and task this new utility with laying fiber to the home. The stuff pays for itself in no time.

Hey they could kill two birds with one stone and lay the fibre while they're putting in the free beer pipes too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by pete
    Hey they could kill two birds with one stone and lay the fibre while they're putting in the free beer pipes too.
    It would have to be good beer too. Not that sugary American stuff like Miller. I think the danger with this idea, though, is that some beer company would get the contract through a backhander and we'd be forced to drink Dutch Gold or some other cheap lager.

Advertisement