Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Outlook - Question about old emails

• 15-04-2002 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! I'm having a problem with MsOutlook. The story goes as follows. I had the program installed but then I deceided to format my harddrive. So before I wiped everything I made a copy of all the folders in the progam that contained emails that I wanted to kepp eg "inbox.dbx", "pigmansmates.dbx" etc etc.

But then I found when I reinstalled Outlook it wouldn't recognise any of these old saved folders. So what I need to know is ... is there anyway of reading these old saved emails or should I be resigned to having lost them forever? Thanks for reading this!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Perhaps if you copied them to CD they are marked as read-only...
    If so I think you will need to copy them to a folder on your Hard drive, do an Attrib -R on them and then try an import...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont they come as pst files?
    i suspect youve saved the wrong files to be honest.

of course, could be completely wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

DBX files are use by Outlook Express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Make sure you have the same version of outlook express (installed with Internet Explorer in case you upgraded that too).
    Setup the accounts you plan to use first (eg. POP / Hotmail etc.). Then go to Account Maintenance and change the store location to the folder where you saved your old DBX files).w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Have you tried going to file >open >personal folder, and trying to open the file you stored?

If so what happened?
    Outlook folders are .pst files. Is your file a .pst file?

If your files are DBX, (out look express uses these) and you are trying to open them in MS Outlook, then you need to go to file>import>import internet mail and addresses, and point at at your file.

You have stated you are using ms outlook. Make sure your not confusing it with outlook express

PS, Grimes, user said it is MS Outlook, not outlook express.

X

• Advertisement

Yes, I know he said Outlook. But Outlook uses pst files, Outlook Express uses dbx files, there's a chance he saved the wrong files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Thanks to Licksy20. Your solution was the correct one! And apologies for saying just Outlook. It was in fact OutlookExpress. Honestly didn't realise there was a difference.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Pigman
    Thanks to Licksy20. Your solution was the correct one! And apologies for saying just Outlook. It was in fact OutlookExpress. Honestly didn't realise there was a difference.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

cool. i know nothing about express. always good to learn something new and completely useless :)
    glad you got it working

Here's a pretty good site for Outlook Express related stuff

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE/sitemap.htm

Advertisement