Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death of two gardia

Options
  • 16-04-2002 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I was watching the news last night and heard about the two guardia who where killed by joyriders, a 15 (!) and 16(!) years old. What they did , stealing a car and driving it to it maximum and in the process killing two human beings does not actually surprise me. Especially where I live, the north western part of Dublin it is the second populair past time after (under aged)drinking. If I see the amount of cars that have been stolen and burned after the weekends it is just rediculious!!! It is not the Gardia who don't want to take action against these offences and it offenders it is the law preventing them from doing it. I just hope there will be a law here which will treat underaged offenders as adult because in my opinion if you are old enough to make the decision to steal a car ( and don't even have a license) you are making the decision to take somebody else its property and making it your own without consulting or rewarding the other parties involved. So this justifies the Justice Department and it governing bodies to treat these offenders as criminals and in the case of the two killed Gardia as murders actually premeditated murders because the minute the two stole the car they new something like this could happen to any person that happened to be on the same road as them !

My respect goes out to the family of the two killed Gardia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I dont know if you saw the RTE news last night, but they revealed the driver of the car had been up in court on 30 charges! just weeks before such as drivng a stolen vehicle, theft of vehicle, etc, and had been given just 12 mths probation!!!!!!

I mean ffs, he should have been locked up. 30 charges against him!!!

Well my sympathy to the Guard's familys, and I hope this leads to the end of the revolvng door system, espically for youths, where there are not enough secure places for the scumbags.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

It is totally rediculus that they got off, just watching sky news this morning and i see that the british are clamping down on under age offenders. Bluddy right too, little scumbags, they deserve to be locked up.

/me can't stand teenagers!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Flemmish Flame
    So this justifies the Justice Department and it governing bodies to treat these offenders as criminals and in the case of the two killed Gardia as murders actually premeditated murders because the minute the two stole the car they new something like this could happen to any person that happened to be on the same road as them

Its not premeditated unless they set out with the intent to kill. Depending on what happened, it may not actually classify as murder - not that I necessarily agree with that.

What I do strenuously pbject to is the fixed concept that underage offenders must be always treated as such. I'm sorry, but 30 prior offenses puts anyone well beyond any possible claim to "juvenile" leniency.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Californias "3 strikes" system would put an end to such repeat offenders - either by discouraging or simply taking them out of the system altogether. Youd still have the bleeding hearts crying for every "Little General" however, think a a person in California got 25 years for stealing golf clubs - it was his third (and most likely last) offence - that he was convicted of mind, unknown how many others he wasnt convicted of. Its being appealed in the court system over there. Over here, in a system where rapists get suspended sentences because they dont beat or kill their victims....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Totally agree with you there Sands...I wouldn't mind but even the "Juvenile detention centres" that the goodos keep harping on about are nothing more than Holiday camps. Time to implement a proper Orwellian style penal system which would indoctrinate "young offenders" to respect society and the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well my opinion on this is simple. They killed people by stealing and driving a car over the speed limit recklessly, they should be and I think they will be done for manslaughter. They should be tried as adults.

It is also my opinion that their parents should be punished. It is a parents responsibility to bring their children up respecting others and the laws of society, if they fail at this then they should be punished. I am sick and tired of hearing the excuse "but they come from a deprived area..." etc etc, so do a hell of alot of people but they get on with life.

Gandalf.

(btw I am normally quite liberally minded !! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

they actually ramed the gardi can, so i feel they should get life, but were do we put them.

I was watching a report on one of those young offender's prisons, it cost into the millions and get this, would house 18 young offenders, this is ****e, build cement boxs and lock them up 20 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    they actually ramed the gardi can, so i feel they should get life, but were do we put them.

If there is evidence to suggest that they targetted the police (as opposed to lost control / couldnt brake and ran into a roadblock type of scenarios), then Gandalf's manslaughter gets upped to murder (but not premeditated).

If, as Gandalf suggested, they get tried as adults (which I would agree to), then they get sentenced as adults. So - where do we put them? Same place we put adults - and not in a revolving door.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Originally posted by azezil
    It is totally rediculus that they got off, just watching sky news this morning and i see that the british are clamping down on under age offenders. Bluddy right too, little scumbags, they deserve to be locked up.

/me can't stand teenagers!! ;)

Do you really think these UK laws will make a difference?Like ****e they will.Labour have been promising since they came to power to clamp down on crime.Whats different?Maybe the fact that the government has to let out prisoners early as they arent building enough new prisons,some prisons are privatised,and parts of London are like South Central LA gun crime wise.Blair is too politically correct to make any laws of substance.
    I think the 3 strikes law is too harsh though.Think about it like this.Suppose 20 years ago you burgled a house and stole a car and got a short sentence.Nowadays you are clean living.But you live in a bad hood and must carry an illegal gun to protect yourself as you cant legally have 1 cos of record.Your caught with the gun and get 25 years.Is that fair?Thery tried to send some man to 25 for stealing a pizza slice!!!!In the end he got 5 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Military style penal camps work best. Cheap to set up and very good on re-educating " young offenders" on self discipline and respect for society. 5 am roll calls followed by camp drill, indoctrination classes followed by more camp drill, (Shotgun chain gang work would be great but our European friends wouldn't like that ) strict disciplinary procedures for inmates who don't follow camp rules etc etc. Juvenile detention centres are very expensive holiday camps were offenders can play snooker watch TV and have a good time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement