Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Rice

Options
  • 16-04-2002 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

right i was trying to cook Brown rice last nite, it wasnt boil in the bag, and i followed the instructions but what i got was porridge, anyone know the best way to cook rice?

Bomb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A friend of mine has the best way to cook rice.
    You put a cup of rice in a heated oiled pan. You put two cups of boiling water into the pan and let it boil away.
    Don't touch it for a while, test to see that it is done by putting a spoon into the rice and tilting the pan . If you see water then you still have simmering to go. The rice is finished when there is no water.

So... 2 water to 1 Rice
    ....(always clean your rice properly)
    .... let all the water soak up in the rice
    .. You will get rice stuck to the bottom of the pan but that's the price you pay for this way of doing it. (He says it's Delia Smith's way)

Hope it works for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

good man, ill have a crack at that

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

In my experience, brown rice seems to turn out a little better if you let it soak for about 30-45 mins in cold water before cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Gordon
    So... 2 water to 1 Rice
    ....(always clean your rice properly)
    .... let all the water soak up in the rice
    .. You will get rice stuck to the bottom of the pan but that's the price you pay for this way of doing it. (He says it's Delia Smith's way)

Thats how I do it too, but (to be honest) it depends on the rice you use.

Brown rice generally needs a longer cooking time, so I tend to use more water, and simply taste-test it periodically. As with Kolodny, I would soak it for 30 mins first.

As for cleaning the rice - remember that the more you wash rice, the less starchy it will be when cooked. If you want light, fluffy rice, then wash your grains thoroughly, until the run-off water isnt so white. Ideally, soak for 10 mins in cold water, and then rinse fully.

On the other hand, if you're looking for sticky rice (which I do with most of my eastern cooking) which is suitable for chop-stick use, then dont soak, and simply give a wuick wash to clean.

The idea of stirring in an oiled pan, by the way, is to coat the rice lightly in oil, which prevents it sticking into lumps before it cooks. This gives you evenly cooked rice, but it wont stop it being sticky when the water is all gone...

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

1 cup of rice, two cups of water, let the pot open so it steams out, finds it cooks faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Gordon kinda said it but to be clear; don't stir rice when it's cooking. Just let it boil away. Stiring it breaks the surface of the grains releasing the starch and you end up with porridge, as you described.

K

Advertisement