Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE Controllers in Windows 98 SE

• 12-05-2001 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Okay I got this problem.

I installed windows, then after a few months of arsing about, and doing whatever online etc, I installed the VIA 4in1 Drivers, and they worked grand....

One day down the road, the PC Locked, while i was moving a big file or something.... and It became unstable so i rebooted it...

It then started locking during Bootup... , So I went into safe mode, and everything Seemed okay, no yellow question marks or anything...

So I got a bootlog.txt and had a look. AHA . the last thing it was running before it locked was this "ESDI_506.PDR". So Then I went into dos and moved that file out of the c:\windows\system\iosubsys folder, Windows now boots. and everything works except....

I have no IDE Cdrom, only my scsi Works, And im not really sure what to do from here... I have a few ideas, but at this stage, my ideas cud really b0rk my computer up, so what do u guys think I should do at this stage..

thanks

RentZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Perhaps a reinstall of the via 4-in-1's ( I recommend version 4.29, available from www.viahardware.com ) will install a working version of the esdi driver. You say it locked when copying a big file. This is a symptom of the via 686b chipset bug, if you have one of the boards with this southbridge on it, get the patch from www.viahardware.com also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Thanks Gerry smile.gif

I'll give it a shot,

By the way, How do I know If I have a southbridge Chipset ?

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

well the question is whether you have the via 686b southbridge. Pretty much all consumer motherboards have a separate northbridge and southbridge. If you have a 686b, it will be written on it smile.gif It might show on the bottom of the screen at startup either. Also most kt133a motherboards have it. ( like the abit kt7a, asus a7v133 etc).

Advertisement