Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic - TURN - MELATON - PONY CLUB - COLM QUERNEY -

Options
  • 16-04-2002 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

This Wednesday 17th of April - Not To Be Missed

The ZODIAC LOUNGE
    Tomato Night Club, Harcourt St, Dublin 2

Proudly Presents
    An Evening of Acoustic Enchantment With

TURN
    MELATON
    Pony Club
    Colm Quearney

Doors Open @ 8:30pm (arrive early as capacity is limited)
    Admission €8
    For ticket reservation email: zodiaclounge@yahoo.co.uk
    The Zodiac Lounge
    Each Wednesday the back lounge of Tomato Night Club on Harcourt St is transformed into the Zodiac Lounge. Inspired by the vibes of the “DA Club” the Zodiac Lounge hopes to recreate a mid-week vibe in Dublin and help rejuvenate the live scene. Each week we promise to deliver the very best from the stable of Irelands bands and singer songwriters in an informal acoustic setting. To date we have had the pleasure of hosting the following acts; Mundy, Subrosa, Wilco, Sack, La Rocca, #Kingsativa, Nina Hynes & Ronan Byrne. May’s schedule is lining up to be of equal calibre, so come on down to the Zodiac Lounge each Wednesday and see it for yourself.

Band Bigraphy:

TURN
    The band was formed two years ago and used to play together even though they were all in different bands at the time. When there were enough songs written the band members decided to leave their respective bands and merge to create the driving force that sees Turn as Irish Music's saviours. The band have their own label "Nurture", it is from Nurture that Turn released their first single "Facedown". This Limited Edition Clear Vinyl was released to only a select number of record stores around Ireland and disappeared from the store shelves as quickly as they were put there.
    Turn are :- · Ollie Cole (Lead vocalist/Guitarist) · Ian (Drums/Backing Vocals)
    · Fiona (Keyboards/Backing Vocals) · Gavin (Bass)
    Ollie, Ian and Fiona are all from Kells whilst Gavin hails from Dublin. The band first played in the Da Club, Ollie claims that "there were only about two people there"!!. The next gig that they played though was supporting Teenage Fan Club in the Olympia. The band have packed both Whelan's and Vicar Street and have played in about every venue in Dublin.. Turn are sitting on a sweeping, strident gem of a debut album which mixes the cathartic bombast of Nirvana and Ollie's beloved Pixies with the classic song writing of the likes of Elliott Smith and Neil Young. They're writing more lucidly than ever and they're preparing for their biggest gigs to date, supporting Scottish noise-popsters Idlewild around the UK. Ollie is as excited as a cat that's just been given the freedom of the dairy. "The Idlewild tour should be really good. We're going to get new suits made and some new equipment. And right now we're playing so well," he enthuses. "I think we'll be around for a long time." And it's obvious from the look in his eyes, he means it.
    www.turn.ie

Melaton
    Drawing on a broad range of musical influences - many of which belie their youthful experience - their modern rock sound is both classic and youthful, full of style and possibilities that refuse to be tied down by any modern music formulae.
    Their first offering "Moonstorm" is a perfect introduction to the band. But remember, it is only an introduction; a tantalsing glimpse of the bona fide raw talent that brought Melaton to people's attention in the first place.
    "Moonstorm" will be available from July 25th as a free and exclusive 2 track CD sampler for a limited period directly (and only)from this website. Melaton are:
    Luke Slott
    Declan Garvey
    Andrew Brennan
    Jonathon Black
    Anthony Mooney

The band formed around the end of 1997. Jonathan, Andy, Declan and Anthony had been playing together a little while beforehand and Luke met them through school. Around 15 at the time and after a short bout of the usual covers, they decided that the band would be a full-time commitment and a life-long union for all. So they holed their selves up in rehearsal rooms for a few years to write and practice, taking any odd support slots which came their way.
    Eventually, they found management and things started moving. They signed a record deal a few days before starting their Leaving Certificate exams, recording a couple of demos in the months leading up to them. With their new EP “ Falling Star” out for release on April 19th & they are currently working on their first album.

www.melaton.ie

Pony Club

“PONY CLUB” is Mark Cullen, a former get away driver from Dublin. Born and dragged up in Finglas, Dublin’s answer to South Central in LA. “HomeTruths” is his debut album which he describes as an album that will make first time buyers think twice before stepping onto the property ladder. “Home truths” owes a lot to Tiny computers, in fact Mark still owes them the money. “How ****ing easy is it to get a computer, **** abbey road, Tiny will deliver it to your door in a big brown box and you don’t have to pay for it for a year, even if you have a bad credit rating.
    “ I was always worried that I’d end up living in council flat in Leytonstone with Charlie Dimmock in a rainy edition of ground-force as my only release, but then I had a visit from the Virgin Mary who convinced me to listen to Mariah Carey and have a few vocal aerobic lessons, which I promptly did, and realised that if she could ship triple platinum with such honest, gut wrenching, heart-felt epiphanies that maybe I could as well, and this time next year Dre would be producing the sequel underwater in a swimming pool in LA, modelled in the shape of Heidi Klum’s buttocks.”
    “I’ve been involved with bands since I was 14, had two major record deals, 6 years of encouragement and sincere apologies from coked-up marketing departments and nervous radio pluggers.
    With this album, I recorded it in my childhood bedroom, it’s only 10ft by 8ft but I shared it with my two brothers. My Ma has kept it the same way as the day I left. I just took out the bunks and put the “free” computer in and stayed in the room for 5 months, no saunas, no swimming pool, and more importantly no bleedin’ A&R men coming down for a listen.” Mark reckons the album is best listened to in a 3 bedroom Barratt Home, preferably in Enfield with 3 kids and a packet of travel sickness tablets (preferably Boots own) so you can recreate the mood of the original recordings.
    Straight out of the stalls with “**** with my heart”, a glorious Brian Wilson in Ayia Napa soundtrack, as a husband tries to justify his faults to himself and his wife, to the Redbull soaked blues of “CCTV” with the unforgettable line “ I want to run until the houses get ugly where everybody calls their first born Britney”. The gentle soul pleading of “Stop” and the delicate intimacy of “Single” with its spectral rolling piano is perfectly interrupted by “The thing about men”, a song which Mark wrote for Snoop Dogg. Other stand out tracks on the album include “Home is so sad” a song about the disappearance of Marks younger brother when he was 7, to the awesome “What did you expect” probably the most honest lyric ever written. Its only a matter of time before Pony Club’s urban bedroom soul will have them sipping yak and having nightclub shootouts with the Wu tang clan over which Mark Almond track they want to cover.
    So then, Pony Club, showing the Americans where their white trash came from.

www.ponyclub.tv

Colm Quearney
    At 32 years of age he has been making a living as a professional musician since he graduated from Ballyfermot Music College in 1993. He's been writing songs for all the bands he's been involved with including Lir, Dragonfly & Mystery Train. Colm has also worked extensively as a guitarist with artist's such as Rory Gallagher, Jimmy Faulkner, Holly Johnson & Reba mc Entire. He has toured America & Europe many time's with his original band Lir and has also done many tours as a guest guitarist with different artists. Colm has been making studio recording's for ten year's now and is looking to promoting his debut solo album. This is his first time fronting a band as the lead vocalist and he feel's it's great to come out from the wings.
    www.colmquearney.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

is it still 6 euro with student ID and 4 euro with a copy of this thread/email??

Kurdt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

You must be rolling in the money to be able to put on a bill like that. How much are you guaranteeing each of the acts? I heard MCD have got their grubby little fingers into Melaton already and they're going out for 700 euro a go, or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Zodiac_Lounge

At €8 standard €6 student and €4 for members of this board for the first month - the venue capacity is 350, guest list is normally 50 - "rolling in it" would not be a term I would use. Bottom line is instead of questioning the financials of the Gig why don’t you appreciate it for what it is !! - An opportunity to see some quality acts stripped back and performing Acoustically for a very very reasonable price - Enjoy the moment, grab the opportunity – You will tell your grandchildren you were there. The Zodiac Crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

really appreciate the lineup this week...and all the lineups so far!!!

keep up the good work!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

must agree with kurdt on that one fair play!

if you would like polar (tee hee... i'm one for the self promo)

drop us an email at info@polarofficial.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

I'll be there. by the way, how old is that turn biog ??? fiona on keyboards ? Great line-up this week though.

Advertisement