Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User Limits

• 16-04-2002 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I am running a win 98SE machine with a 10Gb hard drive split
    C: 2Gb
    D: 2GB
    E: 2GB
    F: 4GB

First is for Operating system and various applications. The two 2GB are for my brothers and the 4GB is mine. Not being home all week my brothers dump stuff into my drive.

What can I do to limit them?

I need something that when they log in it only shows their drive and not mine. I belive this feature is on windows 2000 pro but what about win 98?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Depending on how dumb your brothers are, you might be able to fool them with tweakui - a free registry tweaking app you can get from download.com. You can set up the registry to hide certain drives from windows explorer, but all you need to do to get access to the drive is to type its letter into the explorer address bar. If your brothers don't have a clue about how windows explorer works, it might keep them out of your drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Like Sico suggests, anything you do on Windows 98 is going to be security through obscurity, and depends on your knowing more than your brothers. The only real solution is to switch to Win2K.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

As has been mentioned, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro are the only real solution. Windows 98SE is not a network orientated OS so it doesn't have any real security features. I mean, even the login box on a 98SE machine can be circumvented a number of ways. The best solution in my opinion would be to talk to your brothers, why not ask them why it is that they feel the need to dump things on your partition? Or you could resize the C: drive to 1GB as a full Windows 98SE install only takes about 300MB and then resize each of the other drives to 3GB as that way your brothers won't need to dump stuff on your partition. Alternatively you could be ruthless and wipe their partitions and let them refill their 2GB stock of junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Another solution would be to find a stout bit of wood, then connect said bit of wood with your brothers' heads with much velocity and tell them not to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

My brothers are dumb enough(possibly as a result of my actions, similir to what Sico suggested) and that is the problem. When installing programs my drive is the only one left with enough space.

As for Sico's first suggestion, it could work but then what will happen is they will start loading onto each others drive and world war 3 breaks out. The computer will get caught in the cross fire and then I'll be very unhappy.

No, the only solution (keeping cost in mind) is a new drive. A nice big 40Gig Drive. By the time their finished filling it I'll be long gone.

Thanks anyway fellas

Timeout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

a 40GB drive can be filled in 24 hours at a decent LAN.

Well They won't be going to any LANs, so that does not bother me. But I don't want to splash out big money on anything too expensive.
    This thing is only going to be a 5400RPM cheap as I can get it sort of thing.
    Might see what's on offer in the FOr Sale boards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Really might be worth investing in win2k or XP (are there quotas available in XP Home, anyone?) rather than just automatically going for a bigger HD

Ryan's first law of downloading: no matter how big your HD is, the crap you've downloaded will fill it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Timeout, you can pick up a win2000 upgrade a lot cheaper than you would a new hdd.

PM me if youre interested.

Besides, if tyou get the new drive, 2000 will protect your shre from their crap!

X

Thanks for the offer Xterminator but I got me the drive. I have windows just the way I like it. If I were to get windows 2000, I'd have to get new drivers and I'd have to learn all them extra new features it comes with.

Na, all the brothers want is to install some games. It'll take them along time to fill this new 40G. They can't save money for **** so no new games, no worrys about filling the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

there are 3rd party apps out there that will hide a drive or folder in win98.. you can try one of them

Well I've already got the drive but I'd be interested in looking at those 3rd party apps you mentioned Saruman.

Got any in mind?

Links Also please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Timeout, email me if you want Windows XP Pro for hardly nothing ;) email is : donaloconnor@xp-users.com

Advertisement