Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Point and Click

Options
  • 16-04-2002 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking over the point and click adventure games I've played over the years and there are some classic games. My favours being Monkey Island series and Sam and Max.

Best Point and Click game 73 votes

The Secret of Monkey Island
    0% 0 votes
    Le Chucks Revenge (MI 2)
    21% 16 votes
    The Curse of Monkey Island
    17% 13 votes
    Sam n Max: Hit the Road
    9% 7 votes
    Indiana Jones and the fate of Altantis
    16% 12 votes
    Day of the Tenticale
    9% 7 votes
    Flight of the Amazon Queen
    21% 16 votes
    Broken Sword 1 & 2
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

"Monkey Island" and "Sam and Max"
    two of the best point and click games ever made.
    you forgot "Grimfando" or what ever way you spell it.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

SMI...the first one i played and still the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pone

George Stobbart be da man :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Not wanting to be a pedant, but you forgot Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You appear to have forgotten that Blade Runner, apart from the impressive visuals (for its time) was quite the bag of pants.

MI2 was the daddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pone

I thought Blade Runner was fun. Best part in the game was shooting that ****ing comedian as he ran off. He wasnt so smart with a bullet in his throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Broken Sword 1 AND 2 by far, sniff I loved them games, so many memories :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Blade Runner was fantastic! Obvioulsy not as good as Monkey Island but as a serious point & click, its hard to find a better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Grim Fandango, nope not forgotten, its not a point and click given that none use of a mouse in the game, still a classic though. Never played the Blade Runner games so I didn't add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

monkey island 2 and the broken sword series no contest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Broken Sword one was very good, never got around to playing the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Though Grim fandango isn't technically point and click, its basically the game genre in a more mature guise. I'd add Longest Journey to that (some people swear by it).

One thing I've found with point n clicks is modern gaming has robbed me of my patience - I used to swap 22 disks in my amiga, never use walk-throughs and love these games to death. Now I have to use a walkthrough to even be bothered - its a pity because I know if people had the patience they'd find something like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis would come top of their list of favourite games ever (just pips the granddaddy Monkey Island 1). I played The Dig, Sam and Max and Day of the tentacle when I moved over to pc (pc owners I was so bloody jealous) - they're good, but not indy jones beaters.

/me stops slobbering like a teenager.

/me starts slobbering again...

Broken Sword was a welcome revival of the genre on the pc - first game I'd ever had the whole family play and my cousins loan it. Something about it was able to drag people in - nice and happy and cinematic.

I just played Blade Runner 5 months ago, the whole way through - its actually very good, at the start - it helps if you are a Blade Runner fan - all that vangelis music, the interplay with the movie story line - letting you examine photos in that funky find-hidden-things-from-a-different-angle sorta way with great (albeit low'ish res) graphics. The atmosphere is just spot on in places. It sorta falls apart about just after half-way.. its like they were mimicing the film too much and sorta freaked when they were supposed to be inovative themselves and didn't really know how to keep things going.

Grim Fandango is "casablanca" in a game.

Always with the comments gb :p

Broken Sword is good because its so linear, there is no real adventure more putting together the easily available facts. Its the engaging story that makes the game a classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're all bloody linear. Nothing beats monkey island 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They were all linear. Nothing beats monkey island 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Defiantly Broken Sword 1 & 2 :)
    Broken Sword 3 is coming out soon anyone hear anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

You Forgot Disc World 1, 2 and Noir...and Operation Stealth...and Cruise for a Corpse...and Lure of the Temptress...and Beneath a Steel Sky!! and...I'll stop now :)

Stuck with those choices, Sam & Max for defo..those 2 crack me up. :D

Oh yeah, where's Kings Quest? and Indiana Jones? and Goblins? GOBLINS FFS!!....

P.S. No posting 'Pedantic Man' pics please.

Broken Sword 3: The sleeping Dragon is coming out sometime this year on pc, gba, ps2, x-box and game cube. Sometime this year, supposed to be first quarter....

I based the pole on games I played so sorry if you favour isn't there. Played the discworld games, although funny I found them annoying to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Ah Sam 'n Max... :D

Just to whet your appetite, a Sam 'n Max image which was used in the imfamous "Jonsey lives here" thread:

http://www.boards.ie/members/kix/samnmax.gif

K

• Advertisement

cat.gif

that would one of my favourite moments in the game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I see no mention of LOOM the origanal, lucas arts point and click!

Yes and the dig. I won't place them in it because, honesty do you think it compares to the list there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Oh there was a great P&C game set amongst the Nazis in WW2 and there was all this occult stuff in it aswell. It had "ice" in the title I think, but that was a great game! Anyone remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Full Throttle was my favourite point and click game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i think the dig qualifies to be in the list it was a good game, sam and max has to be the best tho for sheer weirdness factor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Oh the joys of playing Monkey Island 2 on the amiga, with its whole 11 disks and changing them everytime you went to a new area :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Altough Grim Fandango is the best adventure, the best point and clicks are LeChuck's Revenge and Sam & Max.
    Runner up is Full throttle.

Lure of the Temptress, happy memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You'd have to be a fan of the book series to get half of Discworld.
    If you are, it's one of the best puzzlers you'll play.

Advertisement