Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Food Delivery' driver insurance

Options
  • 16-04-2002 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I was talking about this with a friend of mine earlier and neither of us could remember just how the law stands on people who deliver food from Takeaways in their own cars or bikes, while not declaring to their insurance company that the 'Social and Domestic use only' clause in their contract has been overstepped.

Several years ago I knew a guy who delivered for a Chinese Takeaway. He had some sort of accident and I recall him telling me that he dumped the food somewhere before the Guards arrived. At the time he said it was a very grey area as the Guards never stop delivery drivers to ask if they have insurance for delivering goods, but still he was afraid to be caught with the goods after his accident.

Does anyone know about this or indeed do any of you actually do this kind of driving?

- Spunj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm not sure, but I think its ok legally, but your insurance company may not pay out if you had an accident.

Afaik you'd probably pay a higher premium if you answered yes to that question. Again, I'm not sure about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Yeah he wasn't doing anything illegal, but the Gardai probably would've made a note of the fact that he was delivering food, and he would've got buggered by the insurance company.

All the cops need to know is whether or not he was insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

Its not a grey area at all really

if you check your policy for "use for hire or reward"

depends how technical the insurance company get, but if the cops made a note of it then they probably wouldnt pay out unless u had hire or reward insurance in your clause.

w a n k e r s

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BeatTun
    depends how technical the insurance company get, but if the cops made a note of it then they probably wouldnt pay out unless u had hire or reward insurance in your clause.

The law is technical, as are insurance contracts, the insurance company will have very little sympathy, e.g. they may (but I wonder) stand over the third party part, but claim "uberimae fidae" (utmost good faith) on the rest.

Advertisement