Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If u had all the money u needed what would u build?

• 10-05-2001 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

If u had all the money in the world what would u build (PC wise, and u have to build it)?

Tell us what u would use and what good tec out there for PC's that we may not know about?

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

Coolercase "Extreme-XS" (431W PSU)
    Asus A7A266 DDR/PC100/PC133 (Socket A)
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33GHz 266MHz FSB (Socket A)
    GlobalWin WBK38

Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 CAS-2.5
    Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 CAS-2.5

Hercules 3D Prophet II PRO 64MB – OEM
    Quantum Fireball Plus AS 60GB

Plextor PleXwriter 16/10/40A Burn-Proof CD-RW – Retail
    Pioneer DVD-106 Region Free! – OEM
    REALmagic Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder Card

Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical USB/PS2 Mouse – OEM
    Microsoft Natural Elite USB/PS2 Keyboard – OEM

Creative Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1
    Creative Labs Desktop Theatre 5.1 DTT3500 Digital
    Hansol 910A 19" Monitor
    Canon CanoScan N1220U USB Flatbed Scanner

the graphics card is pretty damn good but i was thinking id go for a Matrox G550

anyway i did take some advise off this board, and instead of holding out for a dual t bird, im going for an asus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think he said, all the money you want. So a single cpu system would be left behind in the dust. I'm not even going to bother picking holes in the spec you posted, the mind boggles at how you picked middle of the road parts with an unlimited budget.

It would be an 8 way xeon, either the 700's with 2 megs of cache, or the 1 gig version, on a serverworks motherboard. A gig or 2 of pc133 ram, ultra scsi 160 host adapter
    a few 15,000 rpm seagate cheetah hard drives
    geforce3, and 1 or 2 other good pci graphics cards, perhaps a professional video capture card.
    A few gigabit network cards, each hooked up to its own E3 line or whatever.
    A higher quality sound card than the sblive, like a turtle beach card.
    A professional seperates hi-fi system to hook it up to.
    Either 2-3 mitsubishi diamondtron 22" monitors, or a plasma screen of some sort.
    Logitech infra-red keyboard and mouse
    Supermicro server case to put it all in.

You could go much crazier than this, with unlimited cash, I suppose it depends on how much space you have to put it all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    Coolercase "Extreme-XS" (431W PSU)
    Asus A7A266 DDR/PC100/PC133 (Socket A)
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33GHz 266MHz FSB (Socket A)
    GlobalWin WBK38
    </font>

Why Athlon?

Snowball.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    I think he said, all the money you want. So a single cpu system would be left behind in the dust. I'm not even going to bother picking holes in the spec you posted, the mind boggles at how you picked middle of the road parts with an unlimited budget.

It would be an 8 way xeon, either the 700's with 2 megs of cache, or the 1 gig version, on a serverworks motherboard. A gig or 2 of pc133 ram, ultra scsi 160 host adapter
    a few 15,000 rpm seagate cheetah hard drives
    geforce3, and 1 or 2 other good pci graphics cards, perhaps a professional video capture card.
    A few gigabit network cards, each hooked up to its own E3 line or whatever.
    A higher quality sound card than the sblive, like a turtle beach card.
    A professional seperates hi-fi system to hook it up to.
    Either 2-3 mitsubishi diamondtron 22" monitors, or a plasma screen of some sort.
    Logitech infra-red keyboard and mouse
    Supermicro server case to put it all in.

You could go much crazier than this, with unlimited cash, I suppose it depends on how much space you have to put it all in.

</font>

NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!!

Snowball.

well with the t birds you got your 266 fsb
    they run very stable,
    very fast, easy to upgrade
    their ahell of allot cheaper then the p4
    and a 1.33gig will oc to 1.7gig while you would be hard pressed to get a p4 1.5gigs to 1.7gigs.

thats why

• Advertisement

gerry the difference between me and you is im going to build mine, whiel your going to have wet dreams over yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [fist]Snowball:
    If u had all the money in the world what would u build?</font>

Get with the program Joe.

ah, Jazz beat me to it smile.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've got a whole room here ready for a big horse of a Beowulf cluster. Feel free to drop round the cash anytime, I'm always here. Bring Penguin Mints.

joe22, have a bit of a read about the tbird and the p4.

www.tomshardware.com
    www.aceshardware.com
    www.anandtech.com
    www.hardocp.com

• Advertisement

Gerry, since you didnt make some smart ass comment about what i said im guessing you agree about the t bird, im allso guessing by your past posts that your a p4 man, now i havent really looked to much into p4s thats why i just left it at amd is better to overclock.which even you have to agree with

i just say this gerry i dont need to read up on those website, i have them all.
    the main reason i never looked to p4 is because of rambus, which is about 40% better then sdram but the latency sucks,
    the really high end machines should use rambus, but for a home pc its abite of an expensive waste of money.

no, I provided those links so you could read about them. I completely disagree with your statement. I'm not going to be buying either of these chips, and I don't think one or the other is much better overall. However:

The athlon is NOT more stable, I don't know where you got this from. This is largely down to the crappy via platform.

If you read any p4 reviews, or p4 motherboard reviews, they will probably remark on the excellent stability. Any time they have commented about stability, it has been to say that the test machine didn't crash ONCE during testing. This makes the p4 an even more stable platform than the p3, using the majority of p3 motherboards.

For an example of this, read anandtech's review of the asus p4t motherboard.

prices of the p4 have come down big time.

As for overclocking, you are going on hearsay, and getting your facts wrong yet again.

There are indeed a few athlons going to 1.7, I haven't seen this with normal cooling. A few make it to 1.6. More common is 1.5.

The p4 is now available to buy at 1.7 ghz, the 1.5 ghz version frequently clocks to 1.8, the 1.7 has been clocked to 2.2 ghz. Read www.hardocp.com for an example of this.

The p4 needs to be clocked to a higher speed than the athlon to match it for performance, indeed the athlon 1.33 ghz is able to beat the p4 1.7 in some programs. I'm not going to ramble about the differences in architecture between the 2 chips. If you have any interest, read up on them, otherwise quit talking rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

does it have to be a computer ?
    i want a death ray, and an orgasmatron, and a cigar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

When will joe get a clue and **** off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hehe somebody obviously seen the "MAMMOTH PC" thread in For Sale smile.gif

http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/godbox.html

would be my ideal system at the moment...
    mmmm pc150 ram.. mmm Sony GDM-FW900 (2304x1440 @ 80Hz) smile.gif
    with a geforce 3 instead of that ultra of course.

I'd go with Gerrys but theres no way I'd be able to put it together, and to take advantage of more than two cpus you'd need Solaris or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

> i want a death ray
    >
    I'm sure George "Not The President" Bush will be able to help you out in a year or two. Effin loony.

> and an orgasmatron
    >
    That's my middle name.

> and a cigar...
    >
    Huh? There's a guy on Webmaster'll probably give you the cigar if you do a website for 'im.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

I wouldn't build anything myself, but I'd put a lot of money into cyber dildonics research.
    Maybe I could test the research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

"wet wear" ?

kali, I think win2k advanced server can use 8 cpu's, not too sure.

gerry a 1.2gig axia t bird with the right cooling will hit 1.6 stable.
    im not going on hearsay you litle freak, ive seen it.
    ive yet to see a 1.33 tbird hit 1.7gig but im sure it will.
    as for price, your talking crap as usual, p4 1.5 gig is a hell of alot more expensive then a t bird 1.3 gig

Ps you forgot to say something about the rambus memory with p4

the only main thing with a p4, you can oc a p4 and it will run allot cooler then a t bird,
    therefore more stable, but if you know what your doing then it doesnt make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

And you don't you fool. Gerry has been on the boards a lot longer than you, and in that time has build a lot of pc's for ppl on here (WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS.........HE KNOWS HIS SH!T)

Now I my self am an athlon man (why must they call it athlon 4....why?!?!?!) and even I see holes in what you say about the P4.

right back to the topic.......I'd have this setup

http://www.ust.hk/%7Ewebopa/s0508.html

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........48 1Gz Athlon cpus...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

but I'd build mine so it works under water. use a load of money to build a great big pool.....and have loads of hookers and have a great time biggrin.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yossarin:
    does it have to be a computer ?
    i want a death ray, and an orgasmatron, and a cigar...
    </font>

IT CAN BE ANYTHING, BUT IF IS IS STRANGE U HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT AND IT'S USES!!!!

IT CAN BE ANYTHING, BUT IF IS IS STRANGE U HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT AND IT'S USES!!!!

LETS GO INSANE AND POST MAD IDEAS!!!!

Snowball.

[This message has been edited by [fist]Snowball (edited 11-05-2001).]

joe, I'm not going to respond to your pathetic attempts at personal insults.

But, you don't have an idea what you are talking about. I'm still trying to point that out to you, still you respond with spam. I'll give up soon, don't worry.

YES, SOME axia tbirds have made it to 1.6. That doesn't mean they all will. In fact most of them won't. Here you show you know nothing about overclocking. Quality varies, some chips make high speeds, others don't.

from www.pricewatch.com:

1.33 ghz athlon: $198
    1.5 ghz p4: $256

p4 still costs more, where did you see me disputing that? All I was saying was it has come down an awful lot in price. I'm not going to say that the p4 1.5ghz is the faster chip in real world app's, but those were the two chips you mentioned.

as for rambus, well I thought you were capable of reading up on it. Yes, it has terrible latency, but the p4 is designed to compensate for this latency, and use the huge bandwidth of rdram ( around twice that of ddr ram ). RDRAM is expensive, but I'm not asking you to buy it.

"ive yet to see a 1.33 tbird hit 1.7gig but im sure it will."

another fine example of your idiocy.

your last comment is completely untrue also. The p4 does not run more stable than the athlon because it runs cooler, in fact it produces almost as much heat. The stability is due to better motherboard and chipset design. And you don't know what you are doing joe, don't fool yourself.

If you are getting a new system joe, please get a dell or gateway, don't build it yourself. Could be a lot more expensive than you originally bargained for, what with your levels of technical knowledge and common sense.

Also, could you please **** off. I'm sick of trying to make you see sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Boa

Well if I had ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. I would probrably build an ALL IN 1(tm) system. Basically ,to cut out all the technical stuff, it does everything u can think of in ....er 1. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd hire some ùber-tech goons from intel, AMD, nVidia, etc... to design and build me the most powerful system ever smile.gif ... I'm sure they could break 10GHz if I payed them enough.
    It'd sit in a sculpted saphire case shaped like a cat, and would have the biggest monitor the world has ever seen.
    I'd still keep my Logitech mouse and Trust keyboard though.

gerry your talking crap
    $256 for a p4 1.5gig.
    what a total load of ****e,
    you and whitelancer make claims
    on prices and never back them up
    "gf2 ultra for around £215 irish"
    fine post were to get them ill buy 5

now if you knew anything about overclocking you little **** you would know that axia will hit 1.6 no problem, i could post benchmarks but i dont really care,
    and that the colder your cpu is the more stable it is therefore the p4 would be more stable,
    now please go **** your, and leave this to the big boys.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

gerry your talking crap
    $256 for a p4 1.5gig.
    what a total load of ****e,
    you and whitelancer make claims
    on prices and never back them up
    "gf2 ultra for around £215 irish"
    fine post were to get them ill buy 5

now if you knew anything about overclocking you little **** you would know that axia will hit 1.6 no problem, i could post benchmarks but i dont really care,
    and that the colder your cpu is the more stable it is therefore the p4 would be more stable,
    now please go **** your, and leave this to the big boys.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 11-05-2001).]
    </font>

Any axia whether X or Y is only guaranteed to 1.4ghz. It wont hit 1.6ghz no problem, most people are forced to stop slightly over 1.5ghz, and if you look around and wait a whileyou will se GF2 ultra on scan for around £175 stg and if your willing to buy from america it's even cheaper. As for cooling, the P4 doesnt need as much as Athlon and cooling has little to do with stabilitty. WHen comparing P4 to athlon, most reviews state the P4 as being extremely stable compared to the athlon. Oh and from anandtech's weekly cpu price list
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Pentium 4 - 1.5GHz (400) $266 - Down $174
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.33GHz (266MHz) $200 - Down $20 </font>
    SO i do think P4 1.5 ghz are much more affordable. Oh and Joe, do you really think Intel would match their P4's to a memory that was as ****e as you try to make it out to be? Or are you saying your smarter than intel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

just agree to disagree
    you are like two oul ones over a brandy

and the P4 has a longer instruction pipeline cutting down on clock for clock performance making a P4 1.5 gig perform as fast as a 1 GHz. Explaining why a 1.2 gig t bird outperforms a 1.5 gig P4.</font>

Bur pentiums are cr*p, why do u think that very few web servers use them?

Snowball.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boa:
    Well if I had ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. I would probrably build an ALL IN 1(tm) system. Basically ,to cut out all the technical stuff, it does everything u can think of in ....er 1. wink.gif</font>

Give us some specs!!!!

The whole point of this is to share ideas and share tech knowladge. Tell us what hardware u would use smile.gif

Snowball.

Advertisement