Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If u had all the money u needed what would u build?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Someone make Joe go away.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    I'd hire some ùber-tech goons from Intel, AMD, nVidia, etc... to design and build me the most powerful system ever smile.gif ... I'm sure they could break 10GHz if I paid them enough.</font>
    Now, if u read the 1st post I said that u HAD to build it ur self and give us some specs smile.gifsmile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It'd sit in a sculpted sapphire case shaped like a cat, and would have the biggest monitor the world has ever seen.
    I'd still keep my Logitech mouse and Trust keyboard though.
    </font>

Now that a cool Idea smile.gif I like this cat thing.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm ridiculously big monitors.......

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

[This message has been edited by [fist]Snowball (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    and the P4 has a longer instruction pipeline cutting down on clock for clock performance making a P4 1.5 gig perform as fast as a 1 GHz. Explaining why a 1.2 gig t bird outperforms a 1.5 gig P4.</font>
    P4 are next gen chips suited for apps and games coming out in the future, Athlon is suited for todays games. If you had read any of those sites recommended to you, you would know you idiot. And youve seen plenty of 1.2 gig athlons reach 1.6 ghz? where? you bought them? tell us where you get all your extended knowledge from O holy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

*end of toungue biting period*
    Joe, Most people on here respect Gerrys opinion for the simple fact that hes built systems and given very good and professional advice to people here for ages. Calling him full of **** is only showing yourself up even more than you already have. Stay in school, stop posting half formed opinions garnered from trolling tech sites and maybe you may be able to have an intelligent conversation with him.

As to the topic. All i want is a Holodeck, is that too much to ask? smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Oh Holy Joe, of the ancient spanners.
    Show us your mystical powers.
    Uber.

No really.

Anyhow:
    I know a guy who worked for Microsoft *cringe* in the 80's where he and the R&D dudes made a custom 486. It had 16 DX2-66 processors, 1GIG of RAM and a few terrabytes of SCSI glory. Sweet. I'd make something similar - but a little updated - maybe something like a quad processing P4 1.7Ghz overclocked to 2Ghz each, with 5GB RDRAM and a few hundred GIGS of Ultra wide SCSI mayhem. nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

hate to be the one to point this out...actually no i don't! tongue.gif

p4's require RDRAM! which runs at a nice 600mhz...puff u lot with ur SDRAM 133mhz LOL tongue.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

I think u guys should stop slaggin each other off and tell me what would be the best system in the world!!!

But u have to but cool **** is like that cat shaped box. lol that is a cool Idea. Ns 1 m8 wink.gif

Snowball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

If i had all that money, first thing i would look in the buy and sell get ****s loads of dirt cheap parts and make my self a nice little p166 mp3 playing machine...

Then i would pay some crazy people to kidnap Bill gates, beat his **** red with his own shoes and get it all on camcorder.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VacilatoR:
    If i had all that money, first thing i would look in the buy and sell get ****s loads of dirt cheap parts and make my self a nice little p166 mp3 playing machine...

Then i would pay some crazy people to kidnap Bill gates, beat his **** red with his own shoes and get it all on camcorder.
    </font>

Ns 1 vac. U always have the best ideas wink.gifwink.gif

Snowball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I've seen plenty of 1.2 athlons go past 1.6 - you just need to make sure you have an AXIA-Y chip, and you're sorted.

Your comment about the P4 is rubbish by the way Whitelancer, the fact is that in raw performance and floating point performance it's trounced by the Athlons. Intel are feeding this line about how the "next generation" of games and apps will be faster on P4 thanks to the Screaming Sindy stuff, but the fact is that nobody can be bothered doing anything with it because Geforce/Radeon pixel shaders and vertex shaders do everything it can do, faster and more efficently.

In performance and price terms, Intel lose this round. Their only hope for catching up is a new generation of hardware before the 64-bit chips, or an early headstart in the 64-bit space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yes shinji, you will notice I avoided drawing conclusions about the p4's performance.
    I don't know whether software will be written for it, all I know is that when software is written for it, it is damn fast. Its also unfair to generalise the p4's performance like you have done. In some specific situations, it is faster than the tbird.

take a look at this link:

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/intel/p417/index4.html

Yes, applications where the p4 is faster are quite rare, but they do exist. Recently nvidia drivers have given the p4 a bit of a boost, though these same drivers did boost the athlon as well. The success of the p4 depends purely on software being written for it. Time will tell if this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

see Shinji agrees
    whitelancer, i know what your saying, but im building a pc for now not for when software catchs up.
    OK
    as for were and how to get a 1.2gig t bird to 1.6gig, you tell me were to buy a geforce 2 64 ddr ultra for that price now, and ill tell you.

http://www.scan.co.uk/today.htm
    The New Chaintech 64Mb
    Ge-Force 2 DDR ULTRA VGA Card
    ( with TV Out too....) Full Retail Box Version

£172.00
    Oh and Joe, i was asking how much experience you had woth o/cing athlons not where to get them. I know perfectly well where to get an axia Y 1gig ie: the link above. And here read this might enlighten you http://www.athlonoc.com/tbirdshootout.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

typical everyone thinking with thier Wangs...

We will assume for a second that my perfect system will be top of the range processor and at least a terabyte of space.

However I think what needs to be revolutionized now (apart from bandwidth) is interface and layout.

So I would want my walls of my apartment have some kind of touch sensitive monitor (totally flat, like that new stuff that is like fabric). Then it would be voiced controlled or I could say "Keyboard" and one would appear near me to allow me to type. The same stuff would be on my coffee table, and would change web pages into looking like magazines on the table so I could read boards.ie as if it was a book on the table. I could use a stylus as well to write if I wanted and would also have a book that I could pick up and feed the information into that (which would be electronic paper).

I wouldn't need the TV, instead the far wall will generate the image as if a TV is there with sound system and I could change the channels with just voice or motions.

The kitchen would have the stuff too, the fridge would monitor what's left in the fridge and auto generate a shopping list and order new food at a set time (when it has enough to fill).

The computer would monitor everything, so if the toilet gets blocked it will call a plumber.

Lastly I would have a portable interface as well, what kind i'm not sure. Either Gargoyle type interface (ref: Snow crash - Niel Stevenson) or maybe the fabric in my jacket will generate the interface and screen.

cool, its retail allso
    i think ill place an order with them, thanks.
    guess i was wrong.
    well ill have to admitt i have owned a 1.2gig and got it to 1.6gig
    but ive seen friends pcs that have,
    the most i ever got was a normal atlon 700 to 850

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

lol...Joe try and make some sence.

back on topic.

as well as that 48 pro Athlon sys, I would have a centralised storage. My TCP corse Teacher showed me. its pritty damn hot. Rack mount with a main unit 1u or 2u (differance is the amount of CPU's it has) It can have something like 100TerBytes of SCSI with RAID at level 5. (one sweet peace of kit) oh and it also has multable 1GB nic's.

/me wet's him self biggrin.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Also just to note on that site AthlonOC. If you want a Athlon to run at 1.6Gz (and yes it has been done) You need to mod the motherboard to allow a core volt of 2+. in that test he only used 1.85. You will need to use water cooling at this voltage. (theres a new pre-build water cooling case thats coming out and we'll be able to order in about 2 months) its very quite and will cool the HD, CPU, PSU.

also the only real thing that I have seen (I've been rong before and I will be again) is that Ram bus ram, is only better than DDR in terms of its bandwidth. in that it owns, but every thing else it su<ks and costs 2 or more times as much as DDR.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

just talking to the white man about the ultra

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:

well ill have to admitt i have owned a 1.2gig and got it to 1.6gig
    but ive seen friends pcs that have,
    </font>

have a good read of that joe. See does it make sense to you.

i meant i havent owned a 1.2gig and gotthen to 1.6gig but i have friends who did.

i think i need more sleep

How many people seriously have water cooling? It looks great but its finiky and its expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

all the money in the world? smile.gif

forget pc's, I'd indulge in some esoteric weapons research.

as far as pc's go; this is the one i'd get:

http://www.geek.com/htbc/glanin.htm

highlights include quad xeons and quantum rushmore solid state hard drives, not forgetting the 50" Pioneer plasma screen smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [fist]Snowball:
    Now, if u read the 1st post I said that u HAD to build it ur self and give us some specs</font>
    Don't worry, when it's finished, I'll say I built it myself. tongue.gif
    As for the specs, we haven't reached that stage of development yet... but at an estimate I'd say 933GHz, running on nitrogen-cooled hardware that you've never heard of before.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Don't worry, when it's finished, I'll say I built it myself. tongue.gif
    As for the specs, we haven't reached that stage of development yet... but at an estimate I'd say 933GHz, running on nitrogen-cooled hardware that you've never heard of before.[/B]</font>

Lol, ns 1 santa biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Snowball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Did any1 see last week episode of Buffy on Sky1 (where spike had a robot buffy made for...fun usage)..well if my big wallet did not impress the real buffy then i would use the other option.
    self-professed geek...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    as far as pc's go; this is the one i'd get:

http://www.geek.com/htbc/glanin.htm

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 11-05-2001).]
    </font>

bloody excellent.. apart from 6 cd drives .. like wtf? smile.gif
    love those sixteen 50" screens.. a whole two walls full of Quake3, mmmmmm. not that your going to be pumping out too much fps with those G200 cards smile.gif

Now that is 1 insane machine

Snowball.

• Advertisement

ok mate ive seen plenty of 1.2gig t birds hit 1.6gig
    and as for rambus, we wil lsee which one wins out, i think ddr will

Advertisement