Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If u had all the money u needed what would u build?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I see some people going for one 22" monitor... that's probably only going to be good for presentations or DVD's (where you can sit back on the couch and watch them smile.gif ). Personally, if I had all the money in the world, I'd get:

200 P4's @ 2GHz (they're planned to come out this year) running on a 1GHz switched network... each with 2Gigs of RAM and an 8xSCSI RAID array (which equated to 2560Mb/s theoretical transfer rate for each PC, if all drives reach 320 smile.gif ) EACH, running as a Beowulf (or similar) cluster. The switch alone could cost 6 mil smile.gif

And for gaming? Probably a Quad Foster board with fast (and lots of) RDRAM, with an 8xSCSI RAID array (each disk 180Gigs), a DVD-decoder attached to a 36" TV and a GeForce 3 attached to a 19" TFT. Running W2K Server of course smile.gif

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

and the P4 has a longer instruction pipeline cutting down on clock for clock performance making a P4 1.5 gig perform as fast as a 1 GHz. Explaining why a 1.2 gig t bird outperforms a 1.5 gig P4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

Sorry, I have to post about this again.

That is the most insane machine I have evey heard about. Hell, that tops a web server I heard about for a Jap international bank doin online banking and sh*t like that!!!!!
    I just is the most insane piece of PC ever...or is it. Can anyone top that?

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

P.S: what am I sayin' of course it cant be toped. Kali, u da man!!!

[This message has been edited by [fist]Snowball (edited 12-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:

guess i was wrong.
    </font>

Cool ! put that as your sig, eh? biggrin.gif

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    come to think of it, an insane system would be one that runs Tribes 2 at a decent framerate smile.gif</font>

Yes, i actually had one of these systems, but NASA needed it back for thier satelite imaging.

scoutshot.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hey, ppl....why are ye focusing on x86 platforms?

I fully admit I know nothing about Alpha systems except their name and that they are used for web servers and networks....

What about Motorola proccors?
    Get one of the dual G4s with warp engines and glide through Photoshop.

As for perephrials....
    I saw this cool little USB yoke ina mag yesterday...
    One of the IBM Microstar drives, 1Gb on less space then a £1 stamp...
    little pink adapter too, fuppin hanfy for Mp3 players tho..
    Oh and those class IBM watchs with little hard drives and stuff, class.
    Rambus sucks games wise, latency is ****.
    Solid state hdds sound interesting but aren't they just big pices of rom? I've not heard much of them so i can't speak with any hint of education on this matter...a thing Joe manages with consumate ease... biggrin.gif

Also, fúck the lot of ye with ur silicon and electron based tech...
    I want one of those new nifty quantum based systems..just imagine the fun to be had playing GlMinesweeper on that while the admin has his back turned. Whee-heee...
    The yoke would also come with its own particle accelerator...just in case a 'secret service-type' came a-knocking looking to play with my l33t gaming rig <and this is one of the very few situations where elite can actually be applied properly as there is only one prototype system - that i know of anyways - available>.
    Ooooh-oooh...and I'd have some of those neuron based memory 'solutions' too..take one rat, remove brain, hook up, and u have near unlimited storage.....simple.
    And of course, a Oxgen card too, with a blast of Dual-head GeForce3s linked to wall progectors.......if the money was unlimited only of course.
    And a force feedback house. Make that a planet all to myself, well within feasable limits now that the banana republics have space programs.... smile.gif
    John

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

But I supose it would still give sh!t framerates in Tribes2. And Windows would waste half of the proccessing power animating the full stops at thh end of sentences so they give you a happy buzz when ever you finisha sentence. Like that one just there. Happy.

Puppies.

Don't live long.

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Yes, i actually had one of these systems, but NASA needed it back for thier satelite imaging.

</font>

Did they delete the DSO files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

biggrin.gif

No, they were too busy trying to tell their astronauts that they didnt need to land on the moon anymore, just touch it smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 12-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I'd go with Phil on this one, 8 intel processor machine (whatever processor speed is best at the time) , 4 gigs of RAM, Ge-Force 3 plus maybe 2 seriously good 2D PCI cards (with dual output on each) letting me use my 5 21 inch flat screen monitors. Whatever pro sound card is availible, 1 Gig network card, my own T1 internet link and my good old logitech mouse. All running windows 2000.

That sound run my gameboy emulator nicly smile.gif

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by El_Presidente:
    I'd go with Phil on this one, 8 intel processor machine (whatever processor speed is best at the time) , 4 gigs of RAM, Ge-Force 3 plus maybe 2 seriously good 2D PCI cards (with dual output on each) letting me use my 5 21 inch flat screen monitors. Whatever pro sound card is availible, 1 Gig network card, my own T1 internet link and my good old logitech mouse. All running windows 2000.</font>
    A Logitech mouse running Windows 2000? I have *GOT* to see this! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

come to think of it, an insane system would be one that runs Tribes 2 at a decent framerate smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    A Logitech mouse running Windows 2000? I have *GOT* to see this!
    </font>

I use a Logitech trackball on my Win2K system and I wouldn't use anything else.

Bard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

A Logitech mouse running Windows 2000? I have *GOT* to see this! smile.gif</font>
    Is there a problem with this? I would not consider an OS if it didn't run a bog-standard mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Originally posted by JustHalf:
    A Logitech mouse running Windows 2000? I have *GOT* to see this! smile.gif</font>
    Is there a problem with this? I would not consider an OS if it didn't run a bog-standard mouse.

OK. I've just realised biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Ah, a tough one... i think i'd have to split open my 4 ZX Spectrums and get the 8-bit Z80 chips from inside... these only run at 3.5MHz though, so i think i'd try and overclock them to 4.0MHz each, and i'd sit there blowing on them to keep them cool, or flapping a newspaper at them.

Anyway, they'd sit in parallel on the motherboard, alongside the 48KB chips from the spectrums, totalling 192KB! i think i'd then add two ZX81 16k ram packs, bringing the grand total to 224KB. Now we're smokin' ! smile.gif

the video subsection would definitely have to be a SNES SuperFX chip, running at 21MHz.

For sound, i'd use the 3-channel Motorola 6581, as seen in the Commodore64.

As for storage, i'd use gameboy ROM cartridges, capable of storing upto 4MB each.

roar! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

QUOTE]A Logitech mouse running Windows 2000? I have *GOT* to see this! smile.gif[/QUOTE]

ah dave you spanner, the logitech works grand in win2k, just eh don't install mouseware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Here's what I would consider a standard build for most peeps...

Dual P4-1700 @ 2000
    2 Gigabyte RDRAM Pc800
    Quad Geforce 3's 256MB Combined/SMP
    6 * 36Gigabyte IBM 10k Atlases using RAID-0
    4 * ISDN TAs PCI (4 ISDN Lines Multilinked for 512k)
    2 * 22" Ilyama Monitors (One for backup)

All the above sitting in a server cube!

Total price = £16,000

I'm getting one next week, lol

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    ah dave you spanner, the logitech works grand in win2k, just eh don't install mouseware.
    Yes, Windows 2000 can use Logitech mice, but can the mice run Windows 2000? That's what I said! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

Windows sux giant ass!!!

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

• Advertisement

Would it be jolly green giant ass by any chance?
    I might have some in stock...
    How does diminutive auburn clocked at 126Mhz sound? No?
    well whack it up to a full 138Mhz and slap ona peltier and ur flying...only 6 sheep.
    I can deliver Mondays and thursdays.

Yes, Windows 2000 can use Logitech mice, but can the mice run Windows 2000? That's what I said! smile.gif
    </font>

Bit of a hypothetical, that, innit?

Bard

Advertisement