Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Rom weirdness

• 16-04-2002 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Formatted a machine for a mate of mine ( actually the bro's girl ) recently and found some unexpected weirdness with the cd rom drive.

It seems that for some reason, without prior warning, the cd rom drawer will spring out on boot ??? Also, when powered up, the cdrom drive is non responsive to the eject button, and seems to freeze the machine totally, not even allowing me to get a response from the NumLock or CapLock keys on the keyboard ???

However, if I ignore the eject button on the actual drawer and use the eject function within windows explorer I find that there is never ( at least not of yet ) such a problem.

I was assuming that this was some sort of driver related issue, but to be honest, I never really saw an occurance like this before - certainly not to totally freeze a machine.

Would there be much point in upgrading the bios or cd rom drivers ? Or is this, as I suspect atm, complete and utter madness?

Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Well I wouldn't say a driver issue from what I read, I went through it quickly but have you tried another cdrom?? If it's ejecting on boot what part of boot, when it's posting or actually os boot??

Answer those for prognosis ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Sounds more like hardware to me tbh. But to be sure create a windows boot disk, boot up with CD drom support and see if you have the same problems. If you do then it's hardware related.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Good idear creed...

My theory that the majority of issues can be rectified with a Win 98 boot disk is upheld once again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

post your full spec and relevant info(os,programs etc,)
    I have seen this before (twice)
    1 was a virus the other was a messed up autoexe.bat file. If we can narrow this down we may be getting somewhere. The virus was sorted by A:/fdisk /mbr and then
    RUN:msconfig in windows and checking around there.
    As for the autoexe.bat one i just deleted it and config.sys and let windows recreate this on boot.
    Yurmasyurda had some good points "have u tried another cd rom drive"

Advertisement