Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Umm, huh? (what's connecting to where)

• 13-05-2001 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    I ran a netstat command (just got bored i suppose) and found about 5 references to server.napster.com in a list of 10 connections (despite not using napster)

By the time i went to copy and paste it was down to two though;
    TCP clienti99 tongue.gifop3 server.napster.com:2251 TIME_WAIT
    TCP clienti99 tongue.gifop3 server.napster.com:2254 TIME_WAIT

I have ZoneAlarm Running, and it report the only programs connected to the 'net are Outlook, MSN messenger, netstat, Internet Explorer, and Norton Antivirus.

When i Tracert server.napster.com i get:

Tracing route to server.napster.com [127.0.0.1]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms server.napster.com [127.0.0.1]

(i thought this might be a local connection, but my IP is in the 194.165.167.xxx block).

Where the hell is this coming from?

Sorry if it's a stupid question just it's not the first time i've noticed this, and it's annoying me now. I;m on IOL Nolimits (for about 2 weeks more anyway) if that helps.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

do you have napster installed at all?
    it seems like it might be running as a server on u'r pc. it looks like this is napster trying to connect to the server, ie waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

don't know -too- much about this, but i know 127.0.0.1 is localhost, meaning your own computer. so it does indeed seem like a napster server (the napster software is both client and server) is running on your computer... and because it's just sitting there not communicating with any remote hosts, that may be why zonealarm ignores it.

do you even have the little blue cat icon in the system tray in the bottom right? if so, exit that and try netstat again... aside from that, try looking in your close programs list for anything dubious, and end it.... for all we know, it could be a trojan using the name napster to help camouflage itself.

again, i really don't know that much about these things, sorry :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

if you dont have napster installed, check in your hosts file (usually "c:\windows\hosts" with no extension), open it in notepad, look for a line containing "server.napster.com", and if its there , delete it, then run netstat again and paste what it says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The question is - have you run napster while on your current connection?
    I usualy get a TIME_WAIT after closing napster, and even from websites like boards.ie, from what I know, TIME_WAIT is pretty passive and should just dissapear once the remote server is sure you've left.
    (although I could be corrected on that)

Try re-dialing your ISP, then do another netstat with your fresh connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

TIME_WAIT refers to a socket thats being timed out and in the process of being closed (waiting on Windows own TCP timeout I'd guess)

If you have been using Napster on an earlier connection or on the same connection you'll usually get things like this, its nothing to worry about.

Whats strange though is the fact that POP3 shows up as the local port for napster, beats me as to why that should be running on that port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

well considering the ip is 127.0.0.1 (localhost),
    id say its probably MS Outlook doing something on the pop3 port (i dont know anything about pop3 except that its crap and has a history of being crap, i dont even know why MS Outlook would open the pop3 server port, but im guessing somewhere in your name resolution path (either in your hosts file, or else your nameserver is blocking access to napster.com using 127.1, but this would be a very roundabout way of doing it and easily bypassed, so its probably not it)

windows (as usual) is probably just mucking it all up and showing you the last name it has on its 'list' as 127.0.0.1, which should be localhost but is probably also assigned to server.napster.com, so its showing server.napster.com because its kindof dense.

Advertisement