Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual Band Names

Options
  • 17-04-2002 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

This is the first time I've started up a thread 'cos I'm only new to this Boards craic, so be gentle.

I was wondering if people have heard of many unusual names for bands.

Punk usually generates the best ones! For instance, I have heard of:

668:The Neighbour of the Beast.
    Ken Dodd's Dad's Dog's Dead.
    Lesbian Dope-Heads on Mopeds.
    Sand-Paper Knickers and the Rough C*nts.
    Free Beer (Think about it. You're walking past a pub, the blackboard outside says "Free Beer here tonight!" Imagine the crowds.....and the beatings that would come your way! )

Anyway have a think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Okie
    Free Beer (Think about it. You're walking past a pub, the blackboard outside says "Free Beer here tonight!" Imagine the crowds.....and the beatings that would come your way! )

Anyway have a think!

Yeah we thought about that one!! :D
    The only one I can think of is anal cúnts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

There was a post like this on the Cluas.com discussion board a while ago.. some crackin names came up.

Anyway, for my sins I was once in a death metal band called Calf Diarrhoea. We were awful, song titles flowed like the proverbial scutter we were named after: "Afterbirth Salad" being more than enough to recall at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Peter and The Test Tube Babies and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel are two that come to mind.
    At least I think the 2nd one is a band name, I remember seeing a record called that in an obscure record shop a few years back, good name anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

My band Sleeves Mahoney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

...and you will know us by the trail of the dead

and

barenakedladies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My first band was called Blue Apple - people always got a kick out of the name, dunno why.

I'm working on a little group at the mo called Religion and the Trouble With Squirrells.

One of the lads in the band came up with Sex Hitler and The Hormones which I quite like too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭slash99

I was once in a band called Nail Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

When People Were Shorter and Lived Near the Water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

I was once in a band called Pure Paraphernailia ,i dunno we were quite ballizd dont ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Nojahoda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Jim Daniels
    When People Were Shorter and Lived Near the Water

Dammit JD you bet me to it! My favourite band name ever, can't remember what they sound like.

And yes, the Foetus one is one of the many monikers of Mr. Jim Thirlwell (others include You've Got Foetus On Your Breath, Foetus Interruptus, not forgetting his collaboration with Lydia Lunch, the charmingly-named Stinkfist).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Originally posted by Lolo

Dammit JD you bet me to it! My favourite band name ever, can't remember what they sound like.

----

Sorry Lolo!!
    I always loved that name too. They were a Shimmy Disc band but not as weird/ good as Bongwater, Dogbowl etc. I only know one of their songs from a Rutles tribute LP (covers of Beatles songs) and its just basic folky wolkey Shimmy style.
    Apparently the name a Lord of the Rings reference...?

I used to like the name the Reckless Pedestrians, some Irish band from the 80s...

Flux of Pink Indians

? and the Mysterians

The Chocolate Watchband

(actually there's probably millions of examples from 60s garage and psychedelia, they're just the only 2 I could think of)

And then there's all those 80s bands whose silly names have ceased to be silly 'cause we've heard them so often, e.g. Pop Will Eat Itself, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Echo and the Bunnymen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by Kharn

I'm working on a little group at the mo called Religion and the Trouble With Squirrells.

"Religion and the Trouble With Squirrels" I like that one! I think I can remember hearing of "When people were shorter and lived by the Water" aswell.
    Strictly speaking now it's not really a band name but Pink Floyd's "Careful with that axe Eugene" always made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Lolo
    And yes, the Foetus one is one of the many monikers of Mr. Jim Thirlwell (others include You've Got Foetus On Your Breath, Foetus Interruptus, not forgetting his collaboration with Lydia Lunch, the charmingly-named Stinkfist).

Yeah, just noticed that earlier from the discography on http://www.foetus.org/

Just had a word with one of me mates bout this subject he reminded me of a few we came up a while ago

"Diabetic Jelly"
    "Pancreatic Custard"

and a few others I can't quite remember but I'll get back to ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

People always giggle when I talk about "Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wasn't it "up - c - down - c - left - c - right - c - a - start -a" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"Plus Guests"

Then you could have "Plus Guests + Guests!"

Cousin came up with the name "Independant Fryingpans" a few years ago. I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Freddie Starr Is My Hamster..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

one of my friends wanted to name his band "Special Guest."

It'd cause a little confusion, I suppose (kinda like Free Beer mentioned before lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭papashiv0

Is there a band called "biscuit face"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

It has to be "Busterhymen and the penetraitors"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

Sorry, "mr bens wet dream", "mr bungle" one of the lads im my band wanted "big vulva broken hymen" a cracking good one we nearly had was "manx airlines" deadly...

668, the Neighbour of the Beast

I think I can put this one to rest.

Go here for ALL the names

One of my favourites has to be "It's O.K. I'm the Pope" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

Nice link there Okie.

I like "Rage Against Mr. Clean" :)
    Found in the bands that sound like other bands section.

But are they real band names, or just made-up ones a la Jello Biafra? (who used to have a section in his spoken word shows for people who wanted him to suggest a name for their bands). I don't recognise any of them.

Why aren't Travis Pickle in the edible band names section, for instance?

Also remembered another one of my favourites, the Phenobarbidolls (not in there either)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭immort4l

Well , we started a band called meningitis death ,the main aim being to be as extreme as possible and piss as many people as we could off.Great laugh,for the week or two it lasted.Song titles include:

1.Meathook abortion

2.Acid Death****

3.Bezerker hammer rage

4.Christ raping anal holocaust.

5.The ballad of Trevor Deely

etc..

You get the idea...Oh, and btw 'Anal ****' is a pretty unusual name for a band.

Advertisement