Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Hicks.....

Options
  • 17-04-2002 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

For the record.....

Name a funnier comedian....
    The funny thing is, not many people know his work that well....

Any Bill Hicks fans here?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i know some of his stuff , what did he die of again?

BomB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Seprico
    For the record.....

Name a funnier comedian....
    The funny thing is, not many people know his work that well....

Any Bill Hicks fans here?????

Look at my sig! He's great, another comedian who's almost as good is Denis Leary... both very rough comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

hicks rules. bomb he died of pancreatic cancer. aged about 34 ish i think.

check out totally bill hicks, and bill hicks relentless (get em on vid in laser)

Rant in e minor - classic stuff

check out tool's album aenima. cool hicks picture in it. that song eulogy- 'he has a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say, we'll miss him'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hmmwhat?

Bill Hicks was simply the best comedian on this planet

Suck Satan's Cock and all that

He led the way for the likes of Denis Leary and was a rock star of comedy.

He even slagged off his own cancer on stage- never giving up the aul drink and drugs.

Frickin' genius and hats off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

Richard Prior was almost funnier, and Denis Leary is a pathetic imitation of Hicks. Long live the comedy of hate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

I heard his tape once on a long travel voyage and thought that it was funny, especially the thing about marketers (considering im studying it) but to say he is the best ever is a little much.

Phil Kay - an amazing spontaneous comedian which is the hardest thing to do

Billy Connolly- best comedian ever, and alot of people can vouch for that. The way he tells a story is just brill.

Bill Hicks just was a bit like Jack Dee and just slagged off everyone with attempt to make a joke, it was funny but he never really got into, it just slagged to make people laugh, didnt find something
    funny or understand his topic. Check out DAra O'Brian or Tommy Tieran. Tommy really does it briliantly with navan cause he lived there and hated it. If you can see his school latin teacher routine, hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

The man was a god and it was a sad sad day when he died. I actually picked up a sample CD of some of his work recently for next to nothing. Great craic for the car. I love when he talks about the born again christians threatening hime after the show.

"We're christians and we didn't like what you were saying about Jesus"

"So forgive me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I have to say i dont think anyone can touch Pryor for comedy, although from what i have heard of hick , he was brillian.

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

To mention Jack Dee, Dara O'Who? and Tommy Tiernan in the same breath as Bill Hicks, is extreme flattery to the former and a deep insult to the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Yeah, I think Bill Hicks was amazing, a true visionary - in a different arena to those other comedians.

His style, approach and choice of subject matter were unique at the time (25 minute tirades on the Gulf War etc.)… and fukc was he funny. I would cry laughing every time a new show was on.

But it’s interesting to see that a lot of his perspectives on life, the ways he dealt with issues, have seeped in to the general comedy psyche. If you hear his old shows now, some of the material sounds tired, because its sensibilities have been passed around and filtered through so many other comedians and performers. Even in bands, like Radiohead, you can hear moments that remind you of his approach. His "You are free, to do as we tell you, you are free, to do as we tell you" could be a line out of "Paranoid Android".

My two big regrets in life are missing Jeff Buckley in Whelan’s, and Bill Hicks in the Tivoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Bill Hicks and Billy Connolly are my two all time favourite comedians.

Dennis Leary sucks in my opinion asshole was funny but after that it's just mindless screaming about America and it's bombs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

to try and say who is the greatest comedian is a total waste of time as it is like saying who is the best band ever - it is totally subjective.............bill hicks is a different type of comedian from billy connolly , billy connolly is a different type of comedian from phil kay , phil kay is a different type of comedian from tommy tiernan - i could go on but the list would be endless - imagine me asking on this board "radiohead - name a better band ???? " just because i think they are does not mean that they actually are in fact i am sure some people out there actually think britney spears is the greatest artist ever to have graced god's green earth and while i don't agree with it i am not gonna bother arguing about it...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

Bill Hicks was great. Richard pryor was good but his 'black man walk like this, white dude walk like this' became about 3/4 of his entire act. as parodied by homer simpson - "it's true, we're so lame".
    Dennis Leary should be sued by the estate of bill hicks without any question. I saw leary on channel 4 a couple of years ago and he pilfered, nearly verbatim, bill hicks's piece about the army.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

He rocks. Some people say Denis Leary copies Bill, I choose not to debate this. Both are hella funneh. Imitiation is the highest form of flattery. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

yeah...Bill was a one of a kind.
    dont really think Leary is ripping him off...he has his own style in a breathless rant kind of way...but Hicks was just viscous.
    I cried laughing the first time i heard the "thinkin of you Jackie.....'back and to the left,back and to the left,back and to the left,back and to the left,back and to the left'..."

and yes AEnima is sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

Yeah I heard his stuff through the mouths of others which is never good and yet i was still laughing lots.
    I think I shall get his cd thing.:) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Goblin

What about Dylan Moran? Any fans out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

What about Dylan Moran?

black books is a fantastic show, one of my favourite comedies, that guy is a genius... anyone see the episode with the wine ice pop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Goblin

My favourite episode is from the first series where he insults his friends at a dinner party in their house but can't remember what it was he did. Meanwhile, Bill Bailey is wired after an entire night drinking coffee and watching Sweeney videos, pure class.

Good and all as Black Books is though, Dylan Moran's live shows are in a different league. See him if you get the chance.

Advertisement