Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal CD Burner

• 17-04-2002 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks

I have an internal CD burner - HP Cd writer plus 8000 series, apparently it burns onto the hard drive and then onto a CD. I am using Roxio easy Cd creator package, I tried it last night but I had no luck, has anyone tried this/ know how to do it?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Some more information please? What errors (if any) did you get? Did you only try once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

you will prob get a better response to this here

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It doesn't necessarilly copy files to the harddrive before burning. Different software does different things, and Burners are a fickle thing.

Depending on what you are doing, it may or may not copy files to the HDD before burning. If you are burning a data CD (eg a backup) or assembling a custom music CD, chances are the software creates a CD filesystem image somewhere on your HDD, containing whatever files you want, and then copes it to the CD.
    Using adaptec Easy CD Creator :rolleyes: you can copy CDs directly, either by copying the entire CD to the HDD and then burning it onto the new CD, or by copying it directly (if you have a second CD-ROM drive). I find the latter better for direct copying because the data doesn't suffer any microsoftisation when copied to the HDD - I've had CDs become unusable after being put copied to a FAT32 partition before burning.

I can't find if your writer supports burn-proof. Even so, burn-proof technology still isn't perfect. The problem with CD writers is that they need a constant data flow to the CD while burning. Any break in the data, and your CD is ruined. Most CD writers have small buffers to store data to ensure a constant data flow - like anti-shock on CD walkmans. But other things such as system crashes, cpu/memory hogging apps, virus scanners and loads of other stuff can slow down the data stream to the writer enough to ruin it.

Best advice is to do what I do. See all that stuff in you taskbar/system tray? Get rid of it. MSN messenger, RealPlayer (just get rid of this altogether), winamp, and virtually everything else. Get yourself a decent 3rd party Task Manager (Niresoft do one for Win98), and get rid of all but needed processes (if you're unsure, you'll know what to leave and what to get rid of after a few system crashes ;)) . Then go into your power control and leave it as always on - ie leave everything on, at least for the duration of the burn. Turn your screensaver off. Basically you want your computer to concentrate on burning the CD, and have nothing else annoying it.

Then again I'm running on a PII, which is why even the smallest app can annoy mine. :) But I've never had a bad burn since doing all above.

:)

Advertisement