Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie Music

Options
  • 17-04-2002 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I spent the last year in Australia and yesterday some of my packages arrived in London, so I have finally got to listen to the Aussie CD's I bought over there.

Anyway I wanted to recommend some Aussie music that usually would not get heard of this side of the world.

Powderfinger - their last album Odessy number 5 is brilliant

Alex Lloyd - His latest album is watching angels mend is an excellent album very chilled.

Regugitator - They started out as an electronicish band but their latest stuff is very rage against the machine but more fun. I went to see them and they are an amazing live band, their lead singer is an Asian kid who is the best Asian rapper I have ever seen. :)

Killing Heidi - their independent stuff is cool the new stuff is sh!te

Machine Gun Fellatio - What a name and what a band..

The Avalanches - I think most people over will know these.

Kylie - Need I say more?? :)

Hoodoo Gurus - some of their stuff is ok
    The John Butler Trio - really cool guitar music
    That's about all I can think of for now, check im out if you want or don't!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Originally posted by stu_69
    I spent the last year in Australia and yesterday some of my packages arrived in London, so I have finally got to listen to the Aussie CD's I bought over there.

Anyway I wanted to recommend some Aussie music that usually would not get heard of this side of the world.

Regugitator - They started out as an electronicish band but their latest stuff is very rage against the machine but more fun. I went to see them and they are an amazing live band, their lead singer is an Asian kid who is the best Asian rapper I have ever seen. :)

Rugurgitator are very good. I was in OZ in 1997 and Triple J kept playing "I sucked a Lot of Cock to Get Where I am". Its funny cause its seems like a nice little pop song (say like Turn) until you listen closely to the lyrics. Other good bands were Spiderbait and the Mavis's although they may not be around anymore....

I presume you listened to Triple J, they have compilation Cds with most of the music you're talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was introduced to some Aussie bands by an Aussie friend of mine last year.

I think Powderfinger are superb (I now have all 4 albums). Just found out that they are in the Ambassador next month, but all tickets are sold out... :(

Another aussie band I really like are The Whitlams. Kind of unusual (some songs are pure rock, while others are so laid back they are borderline lounge music). They've got 2 great albums....

Both bands are ARIA winners (Aussie Record Industry Awards, I think .... Aussie equivalent of the IRMAs or the Brits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

There must be no broadcast regulations in Australia at all, because if stations in UK or Ireland started to play records with lyrics like Jim Daniels stated, every DJ in the country would be out of a job VERY quickly! Is there an equivalent to the Radio Authority, and what do they have to say (IF THEY CARE!!!) about stations like Triple J????

Originally posted by CHRISTYG
    There must be no broadcast regulations in Australia at all, because if stations in UK or Ireland started to play records with lyrics like Jim Daniels stated, every DJ in the country would be out of a job VERY quickly! Is there an equivalent to the Radio Authority, and what do they have to say (IF THEY CARE!!!) about stations like Triple J????

As far as I remember, JJJ's only real policy was no advertisment. But they played just about what they liked all day. And the funny thing was/ is that they are a State radio station paid for by the Tax payer! They never really passed the very offensive line though, just some songs they played had bad languauge, a bit like Phantom of Xfm I suppose. The Aussies seem pretty liberal when it comes to that kind of thing ....

Originally posted by Jim Daniels

As far as I remember, JJJ's only real policy was no advertisment. But they played just about what they liked all day. And the funny thing was/ is that they are a State radio station paid for by the Tax payer! They never really passed the very offensive line though, just some songs they played had bad languauge, a bit like Phantom or Xfm I suppose. The Aussies seem pretty liberal when it comes to that kind of thing ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 awrman

The Vines rock. Wonder if they'll play witnness?

Advertisement