Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From .wav to .mp3

• 12-05-2001 2:57am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just want a basic program that can do this, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

sndrec32.exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

The Fraunhoffer codec plugs straight into windows codec library, and can therefore be used by any program that has access to these, such as windows sound recorder, as suggested by the ever-so-helpful santa smile.gif

http://www.kxrm.net/downloads/codec.zip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The Best mp3 encoder is LAME, by miles. The latest version is damn fast and the quality is easily the best I've heard.
    Partner this with Audiograbber as your ripper and Lame-FrontEnd (Lame is a commandline tool itself, Audiograbber makes it MUCH easier to use).
    Go here http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net download Audiograbber, then go to the plugins page to get the LAME.DLL - copy this to the Audiograbber folder.

Set Quality to the max and I recommened choosing the highest VBR setting for a good mix of quality and size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah, MusicMatch has my vote. very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

everyone seems to have suggestions allready, but for my 10 cents cdex is a good one:

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MusicMatch Jukebox 6 does this and a helluva lot more, including encoding MP3's from and burning MP3's to CD

www.musicmatch.com

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

well yeah, for plain encoding .wav files to .mp3 files, i use the fraunhoffer codec with sndrec32, but for ripping CDs, i use musicmatch jukebox... it's got an ugly bloated user interface, but it's the most reliable i've yet come across, even on a ****ty computer. when i used audiograbber it forked up so many mp3s that it just wasn't worthwhile. MM also looks up the CDDB when you insert a CD, so you don't have to do any tedious name entering wink.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

One odd thing with that music juckbox
    Napster doens't seem to include them in your list when you're on napster..

well, that'd just depend on where you save em (you can set the default location in MM's settings) and where napster looks for your music library (again, this can be changed in the settings)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Balfa:
    audiograbber it forked up so many mp3s that it just wasn't worthwhile. MM also looks up the CDDB when you insert a CD, so you don't have to do any tedious name entering wink.gif</font>

Hmmm, Which codec were you using in Audiograbber? You can use the internal Fraunhoffer but that's pretty much obsolete these days. The thing I like about AG is you can 'plug in' many different codecs. LAME is defintely the best of the 5 or so codecs Ive tried.
    AG also has CDDB functions, , allows you to arrange how that CDDB info is incorporated into the filename and ID3 tags, checksum when ripping etc. And it has a much more manageable interface than MM imho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Balfa:
    well, that'd just depend on where you save em (you can set the default location in MM's settings) and where napster looks for your music library (again, this can be changed in the settings)</font>

I put them in c:\program files\napster\music
    and then I did napster to "search harddrive for *.mp3/*.wma and it still doesn't include them..
    somthing odd about it

Advertisement