Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL Costs.

Options
  • 17-04-2002 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

http://mmm.eircom.ie/mouse/domore/istream.htm

According to that page, which is updated as of today, costs are still sickeningly high...

I rang the 1800503503 DSL info number....guess what?

"We're terribly sowwy, but the number that you dialled with your fingerinies is invalid, and so is that department and its director"

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

The retail prices won't eb announced till next week, so don't believe what you read until then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

As I said before, wait until the RETAIL prices come out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by longword
    Wholesale rates of €49 for 512k, €79 for 1Mbit.

Why is there a big difference between the two

eh, is this a joke?
    Your talking about twice the speed, twice the bandwidth? You cant expect them to be the same price wise?

anyway €79 is extremely good I think :D Just hope that when final pricing comes out, not to much will be added for the retail price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ironfist77

Originally posted by Bard
    *cough* *splutter* €350 connection fee ??!?!?!?!!?!!!

Ouch , this seems very expensive .Is any body else surprised by this figure or was this connection fee to be expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Originally posted by mdf
    As I said before, wait until the RETAIL prices come out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

why didn't you ring 1800 512 128 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think €49 per month - Check out Aertel Page 130. There is another of €79 for higher speeds.

What will this include?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

thats whole sale

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Cork
    I think €49 per month - Check out Aertel Page 130. There is another of €79 for higher speeds.

What will this include?
    that's wholesale. That's how much it will cost other operators to provide ADSL services to you. So on top of €49 they need to charge enough to make a profit and cover other expenses, like paying for the international bandwidth you download and more.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p136.htm

EIRCOM SETTLES ADSL PRICING ROW
    Eircom has resolved its dispute with the telecoms regulator Etain Doyle over its pricing structure for ADSL high speed internet services. The regulator was unhappy with the wholesale charges to other operators for accessing the network. The price has now been reduced from E75 per month to E49 per month, with a higher speed available for E79 a month. Eircom is investing E125m in its rollout of DSL and says it will be available to 500,000 Dublin customers within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would like to know what the speed differance is. weather 512k is for E49 and 1mb/s is E79. I suppose we will have to wait a while to find out. Still. Its good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

What do you guys think of 50 quid a month?
    You thinks its decent ?
    I mean its only 40 in england for the same thing but how and ever?

I mean; I doubt I'd actually go over the limit of 3GB a month, but I will admit 3c per MB is pretty steep..

-frownies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Would everyone /please/ pay attention? The prices being quoted are /wholesale/ prices!!!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

I pwn u.

Anyway--

Wholesale means-- They could be higher ?
    They could be lower ?

Chickens are half price at Tesco's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

http://mmm.eircom.ie/mouse/domore/istream_cost.htm

i would rather have my balls chopped off than pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Arboration

Wholesale means-- They could be higher ?
    They could be lower ?

Chickens are half price at Tesco's ?

Wholesale means:

Retail will be higher

(unless there's some kind of kamikaze operator out there who reckons he can make a profit by selling DSL as a loss-leader in order to flog you full-price chickens at a profit)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Would everyone /please/ pay attention? The prices being quoted are /wholesale/ prices!!!

adam

Assuming a traditional markup of 33% (looking back in to the price) 49 becomes 73.50 and then you add 21% VAT bringing the price Euro 88.94. I would therefore be very surprised if the lowest package will be less than Euro 85.

This is only a guess ... and to be honest I would not be surprised if the is no reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by ando
    anyway €79 is extremely good I think

€79 is a crazy price, as far as I'm concerned, but people like yourself are so desperate for ADSL that they will now take it at any price, it seems. Therefore, Eircom have won another battle in my view because they now know that they can go through this whole procedure with any other product in the future and will still end up basically charging ridiculous prices for services by making people desperate for them.

You should not be happy with these prices. You should not have to settle for this crap. Where's all the fighting spirit gone? Are people so desperate for ADSL now that they will lie down and let Eircom walk all over them? Please people, keep on fighting to get the cost reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    €79 is a crazy price, as far as I'm concerned

I think your living in make belief land, a 1meg connection to the internet at €79 euro a month... that IS a good price, especially for a country with no form of commercial dsl yet available. I mean, I work with companies every day that are paying thousands and thousands, unbelievable prices for 128kbps/1meg/2meg lines etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I was just told by Eircom ADSL (old number: 1800 202 275) that there will be a cap. Is this true? If it is:

We haven't got enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Yup your right there, 79 euro is not even 50 quid sterling, and correct me if im wrong but prices in the uk have only reached that level very recently. Considering where I work we pay just under 10k for a 64k leased line, (yes youre reading that right) i think 79 euro is fine, just fine (yes we have looked at other leased line providers, but the amount of times we have been told because of where our premsises is in Cork City (Douglas) that we'd end up paying eircom interconnect fees and then pay uu, worldcom etc.

Cheers
    -Toppy-

• Advertisement

listen forget the cap, the T&C makes no refference to it.

Any cap would have to be in the T&C. They may or may not have a cap.

The real question is, what if you switch from eircom to esat or some other company, do you have to pay that connection fee again

But these are wholesale prices were talking about here. Wait till the full retail prices are released. I reckon we're going to be looking at €150 retail at least for the 1Mbit connection and that, in my opinion, is still way over the odds. If is was €79 all in I wouldn't complain, but not €150 plus. That's a rip-off, plain and simple, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i would rather have my balls chopped off than pay that.
    discoStu...
    are u telling me that u would let ur balls be chopped off because u dont want to pay €80??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Arboration
    What do you guys think of 50 quid a month?
    You thinks its decent ?
    I mean its only 40 in england for the same thing but how and ever?

I mean; I doubt I'd actually go over the limit of 3GB a month, but I will admit 3c per MB is pretty steep..

-frownies.
    Just as a side note.. Similar packages to the basic one offered by eircom (eg: a 512/256kb adsl line, compared to a 512/128kb one offered by eircom iirc?) are retailing for £25 including VAT per month for end-customers, or less, depending on the ISP that you go for.
    <edit> There is also no cap on your bandwidth with any DSL offering in the UK</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    listen forget the cap, the T&C makes no refference to it.

Any cap would have to be in the T&C. They may or may not have a cap.

The real question is, what if you switch from eircom to esat or some other company, do you have to pay that connection fee again

Theres a cap.

Says who? forget past prices and flavours of service. its all a new and no one, not even yourself can say weather or not there is a cap, or even how enforcable that cap will be

Originally posted by conZ

discoStu...
    are u telling me that u would let ur balls be chopped off because u dont want to pay €80??

Personally, I'd prefer to hang onto my goolies........ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    Says who? forget past prices and flavours of service. its all a new and no one, not even yourself can say weather or not there is a cap, or even how enforcable that cap will be

Well Eircom seems to be saying it...after a four minute consultation in the background, I was told there *was* a cap. If this is true, I for one, am absolutely disgusted.

I'm going to post on pricing here, although this applies to Aidan's comments in the other thread to:

We have to be realistic folks. We can't expect the Internet marketplace to go from ogre to teddy bear in a few minutes, because it's it's just not going to happen. For a start, DSL rollouts cost money, and now is a bad time for companies to be making capital investments. Eircom has to buy and install DSLAM's and other equipment, it has to upgrade capacity, and it has to pay the workers who do that. It doesn't come cheap, and it has to be paid for somehow. "Somehow" in this case - and a lot of cases like this - is early adopters. This is a fact of life.

And secondly, comparing Irish DSL to UK DSL is comparing apples and oranges. The infrastructure scales, but the markets are completely different. The UK has had DSL for several years now, and they've had FRIACO too. It's competitive, which is driving prices down, hard and fast. If Ireland becomes competitive, the same will happen here. And need I remind you that the UK has had it's fair share of complaints about DSL pricing too?

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying, "it's life, get over it". And I'm not saying the prices will come down, because that's dependant on a lot of factors right now, including whether or not the Comms Bill passes tomorrow, and in what state; and whether or not OLO's decide to take Eircom up on the offer.

I honestly don't think now is the time to start a battle on price. The product isn't even available yet, we have no idea how the market will react to it, and we have no idea if a flat-rate stepping stone is going to come to fruition. Let's just keep an eye on things for a week or two. Believe me, there's plenty more for us to get angry about.

adam

• Advertisement

Aidan, I've responded to your posts on pricing in the other thread, entitled "Eircom DSL costs". Dustaz, how about merging the relevant posts from here in there?

adam`

Done

Advertisement