Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL Costs.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Okay Adam, I understand what you're saying and, of course, you are right. We can't compare the Irish and UK prices because of the factors you've mentioned.

It's just that it's a very bitter pill to swallow, looking at the prices they get flat-rate or DSL access in the UK for and comparing them to the Irish prices. As you said, we can't compare them like for like but seeing what they are getting across the pond is just such a pain in the ar$e, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Bard
    *cough* *splutter* €350 connection fee ??!?!?!?!!?!!!

http://mmm.eircom.ie/about/PressReleases/PressRelease.asp?id=378

I assume that this is the connection fee for the Service Provider (for example: Esat) and that this cost would be spread across a number of end users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Did anyone else notice that there was no mention of a cap on wholesale prices (then again why would there be?)? /me thinks someone should offer the service without a cap and then watch everyone flock to them instead of eircom with their capped service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

aye i was wondering about he cap for wholesale products

if theres a cap on them then there is no hope :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's just that it's a very bitter pill to swallow...

... just such a pain in the ar$e, isn't it?

Absolutely. But unfortunately we should swallow the bitter bill for the moment, and move on. Believe me Aidan, pricing will become an issue -- if IrelandOffline doesn't tackle it, you can bet your bippy someone else will. But the Big Push is on now for FRIACO. The committee has been beavering away in the background gathering information, and if the push to get the Comms Bill amended tomorrow isn't successful, I imagine you will be seeing some very hard-hitting facts being published in the media in the next week or two. Verifiable facts. Undeniable facts.

Who was it said: "You can run, but you can't hide"? :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

That sounds like it would be fun. I'd love to see all those "undeniable facts" being brought out into the public spotlight for the general public to have a look at, especially the poor sods who do not know how badly they are being ripped off at the moment and are unknowingly believing all the crap Eircom throws at them. If they see how badly they are being treated and how badly they are being ripped off, I think you'll find a sudden increase in the membership numbers for Ireland Offline and that certainly can't be a bad thing.

As for the push to get FRIACO going, that's something I've been hoping would happen for a long time. As it stands, ADSL is not something I'd be too worried about but getting a reasonably priced, 24/7 flat-rate product would be. Besides, living in Portlaoise I won't see ADSL for at least another decade, the way things are going, but myself and everybody I know are desperate for flat-rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd love to see all those "undeniable facts" being brought out into the public spotlight for the general public to have a look at

Actually, and personally speaking, I would prefer to see this stuff buried forevermore, and see a competitive environment out there. The mischevious side of me wants to see the lies and deceit tackled publicly, Mark Thomas-style, but that's a last resort in politics. Let's hope IO don't need to continue investigating the comms companies. It's not as if they[1] haven't worn themselves ragged with it already.

especially the poor sods who do not know how badly they are being ripped off at the moment and are unknowingly believing all the crap Eircom throws at them.

Eircom aren't the only people flinging guff out there. They're /all/ guilty of one kind of deceit or other, from misdirection all the way up to outright lies.

I think you'll find a sudden increase in the membership numbers for Ireland Offline and that certainly can't be a bad thing.

Indeed. But wouldn't it be wonderful if IrelandOffline was able to "do a CUT" and disband tomorrow?

living in Portlaoise I won't see ADSL for at least another decade, the way things are going, but myself and everybody I know are desperate for flat-rate.

Well, here's something for you - I live in a suburb in Cork, about a mile out from the City Centre, and it's unlikely I'll be able to get ADSL either, because my exchange is problematical. So I'm fighting my own corner too.

adam

[1] I say 'they' cos hell, I'm just a mouthpiece - the other guys do all the work, I'm just louder than them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by conZ

discoStu...
    are u telling me that u would let ur balls be chopped off because u dont want to pay €80??

this is from the page i linked to:
    Connecting to eircom i-stream solo will cost you €151.25 A monthly fee of €133.10 applies thereafter

now where people are getting €80 a month is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

But the prices have not been "officially" released yet. We'll just have to wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DiscoStu

this is from the page i linked to:

now where people are getting €80 a month is beyond me.

What page ... retail prices have not yet been announced?
    Here is how I derived what is I believe the best price that we can hope for.
    Wholesale price = Euro 49
    Add 50%(typical 33% retail mark up) to this bringing the price to Euro 73.5 then add 21% VAT bringing the price to Euro 88.94.

This is only a guess but it would appear that the Irish Times agree with this as they predicted a price between eighty and ninety Euros.

This is all pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i would also expect that region for solo with esat and nevada offering that service no caps. :-)

Then the 1mb down i think €140 all inc is a good estimate. things are really moving in this ball game. I think its because of ioffl. Broadband yesterday then the comms bill today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

www.adsl.ie has been updated today following yesturdays anouncement. no prices yet, sometime next week i guess

Originally posted by sikes
    i would also expect that region for solo with esat and nevada offering that service no caps. :-)

Then the 1mb down i think €140 all inc is a good estimate. things are really moving in this ball game. I think its because of ioffl. Broadband yesterday then the comms bill today

To be honest I would be willing to pay Euro 140 for the higher speed service without a cap.

Advertisement