Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT32 or NTFS?

• 14-05-2001 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Which is better FAT32 or NTFS with Win2000 Pro, and why. I want to use high end apps & games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

FAT32 - more space, but slow seek time, data not stored in any order n has to be read sequentially...

NTFS - slightly less space, faster seek time, data stored in tree structure, alphabetically...

So with a large HD i'd go for NTFS smile.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Fat32 for sure, NTFS bites smile.gif

No but really the reason for this is cos if something goes wrong with ur OS (and if its NT based lord knows it will go wrong) You can get you're data back from a fat32 partition very easily

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

Bugger just converted my FAT32 drive to NTFS...
    Oh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Er, lord knows if its NT it will go wrong???
    what about win98 then? My FAT32 partition got screwed up, I don't see anything wrong with my NTFS partitions yet. They are nice and fast, and reliable. If you are worried about losing data just backup important stuff onto another partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

As azezil said, NTFS for the same reasons, WinNT/2K installations are not as likely to fall over as Win9x installations. If you are worried about retrieving information, cerate a second Partition (NTFS) and store all sensitive data there. Create Emergency disks etc. But in the end for speed NTFS is superior. WinNT/2K is by far stabler. At then end of the day, the choice is yours.

Doh just repeated what Gerry said, only read the top two lines silly me. Apologies etc wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Leverz (edited 14-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

NTFS also allows you to do other funky stuff in W2K that FAT/FAT32 can't. For example you can set access rights to files based on users.

NTFS gives more space if you have a large number of small files.

Advertisement