Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Insurance Advisory Board (MIAB) Report

Options
  • 17-04-2002 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Has anyone taken a look at this or reports on this yet. Basically it says that young drivers are overcharged, especially young female drivers.

It also points the finger at the lawyers involved as there fees are a lot more than in any comparible country.

I also think it was the irish times that said the report said that insurers discriminate against you drivers on the basis of age esp. in regard to full licence holders with no accidents/claims

Does anyone think that this report will do anything positive regarding the situation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I haven't seen anymore on the report, except that on the News at One on RTÉ Radio 1, they were concentrating more on matters of litigation, and the cost of that, including barristers and the like....

The Dail has to act on it within 3 months, here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

sure in 3 months they'll be swanning about on their 4+ months paid holidays.

Still I'm keeping my fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The report seems to confirm everything we have long suspected
    particularly with respect of the cost/time of the legal professions
    role. Crazily enough I actually think we will see movement on this issue before the fuel runs out. Drivers and businesses are genuinly pissed-off and will not let this one go.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Has anyone taken a look at this or reports on this yet. Basically it says that young drivers are overcharged, especially young female drivers.

don't you mean young male drivers???

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I've only heard what's been on the news today...pretty much what everyone already knows.

Insurance companies have made ten times more profit here than they have in the UK over the last 20 years or something like that. And, yes, they did single out young female drivers as being overcharged, which is rather baffling to say the least.

Hopefully, this is the start of something good. The only downside that I can see is that it gives those stupid politicians something to boast about when they come knocking on my door in a few weeks.

I think we've had enough talk, it's action we need now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Young females are typically being quoted €2000 or more which is outrageous. It's gone un-noticed because of the €7000 quotes young males are getting.

PrimeTime on RTE1 will be covering the report tomorrow evening.

If you happen to live in Dublin Mid-West then you can vote for David Green who is standing as an independent on this particular issue.
    If you live in Dublin West then you can vote for Higgins who is supportive of the campaign and if you live in Tallaght then vote for Mick Murphy who is driving this campaign.
    Check out www.mijag.com for more info.

Mijag have no expectation that anything will be done about this issue before or after the election by the major political parties so people power is needed.

The findings in the MIAB report don't go far enough and various lobby groups will fight tooth and nail to see that each recommendation in the report is never implemented.

mijag intend to run a car protest in the run-up to the election so turn up, honk your horn and the mainstream parties might actually take notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

it Could mean only good news for us,but to be honest too many ppl benifit from it:

Court,judges,laywers etc
    Insurance companies-huge profit!
    Goverment-2% tax on premiums!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I think only lawyers and insurance companies benefit...courts and judges have better things to be doing than handing out free money to dodgy whiplash claims, and the 2% levy makes little difference to the cost of insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

The first thing they meed to change is the settlement awards. They need to be changed from a lump sum to a annual means tested payout.

How many time have to seen those shows on tv where people claim whiplash, back pains preventing them from work, livelyhood etc and then a secret camera filming them lifting a grand piano down the stairs or something. If we can change the payout culture it would benifit us all, not just young drivers

The next change has to be a law on provisional drivers. The must not be allowed drive unsupervised in cars on there own. Never. When I was learning to drive, starting at 17, got licence at 19, I was never allowed drive by myself, always had my mother or father in the car. I beleive that it has helped me a lot and prevent many bad habits that would undoubtedly have occured if I had *learned* by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Good article in The Irish Independent
    THE great motor insurance rip-off is exposed today.

Insurance companies and lawyers making massive profits will ensure premiums stay high, a damning three-year Government investigation has found.

Lawyers and insurers add up to 50pc to the cost of the insurance of law-abiding motorists. Legal costs add another 40pc on to every euro handed out in compensation.

Of the £329m (€417.7m) paid out in 2000, just £235m (€298m) went to victims. The remaining 40pc, or €119.7m, went in legal fees which ranged from 24pc to 72pc on top of compensation.

Premiums here are four times higher than in the UK, with the cost of claims 12 times higher, the biggest in Europe.

The Irish motor insurance industry made almost nine times the total profits of its UK counterpart between 1983 and 1999 despite operating in a much smaller market.

The six Irish motor insurers made almost 10 times more profit than companies operating in the UK.

FFS!!!!!! :mad: lining those geedy b*astards pockets!!
    And then even more depressing news:
    Despite its stark findings and wide-ranging recommendations, the report sees little hope of change.

It concludes: "It is difficult to have any great confidence that the high cost of insurance will alter radically in the near future as the current situation suits too many interests."

:( :mad: :( :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was big 'proposals' yesterday tho, twas all on the radio.

1. The introduction of a Personal Claims examiner to determine exactly how much compensation someone is entitled to.
    2. The appointment of an insurance ombudsman, ie an ombudsman who deals exclusively with insurance.
    3. Clamp-downs on prov drivers on the roads, etc etc.

If they'll ever be brought in though is another question :rolleyes:

Advertisement