Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComputerScope on Broadband

• 14-05-2001 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

ComputerScope has a few pieces on broadband in this issue. For those that don't know ComputerScope - they're almost totally concerned with business users and, being 100% funded by advertising, they're not the most independent publication.

Nevertheless, there's some interesting stuff. The bit that peaked my interest was a quote from Jim McGovern, a telecoms engineer and former country manager of 3Com Ireland. What he's saying isn't exactly new but I think it's interesting to hear the figures he's quoting.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    The problem that Ireland and other European countries face is that established telecoms providers have a lot of investment tied up in circuit technologies, which earn them a lot of money.

For instance, an ADSL or IP network with a modem on each end between two buildings can offer 300 to 400kbit/s for a flat fee of £40 to £50 a month. Whereas, a leased line, which only offers 64kbit/s between two buildings, can cost between £2000 and £6000 a year. When they are getting such superb revenues from circuit technologies, why should a telecoms company cannibalise it by offering packet?
    </font>

Another small piece worth quoting, so awful that it's almost funny, is the statement by Maria Barry, NTL's public relations manager, that CableLink's 1998 announcement of cable-internet services was:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    ...akin to a homeowner 'brewing coffee, baking bread and putting flowers out' when potential buyers come to view the property.
    </font>

Actually, I do know whether laugh or cry...

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 14-05-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm I'll read those articles with interest when it arrives, unless some1 has already nicked it in the office again !!!!

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gandalf:
    Hmmm I'll read those articles with interest when it arrives...
    Gandalf.
    </font>

I would if they would send me a copy. I've phoned and asked to be on the list - I've e-mailed their subscription dept from their web page... nothing after 6 months !!. This must be a VERY exclusive publication/

Advertisement