Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus help

• 14-05-2001 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Anyone know wher to download a cleaner for this virus, The W32/Hybris.Wsock Virus was found in file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL

Thanks in advance. J.C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Reckon this is the same virus:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.hybris.gen.html

(diff member of same family)

You obviously have some form of antivirus installed to detect it in the first place,

Going by the end of this article you can apparently repair the wsock32.dll file and safely delete any other infected files, just follow their instructions

Received this twice by e-mail yesterday, glad I resisted the temptation to open it now smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I caught the fécker,and McAfee seemed powerles against it :/

Click start>run> type 'sfc'
    Click the scan for altered/corrupt files.when its done clikc details,hopefully it will have removed one file.Then click Extract one file and type wsock32.dll or whatever the exact name is in the box and click restore from and type in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    It will restore from there to windows/system.
    When asked do u want to save the file that was overwrote click yes and save it in a new folder in drive C, the delete this folder completely from your hard drive.It contains the infected file!
    This procedure worked for me.Good luck.

Advertisement