Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier of Fortune Special Edition €16

Options
  • 17-04-2002 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I really liked it. Even if it is a fairly bog-standard FPS (albeit alot gorier than normal), I've finished it many times and still enjoy going back to it every so often. I think it's the weapons that make it.

What so 'special' about this edition then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

it was relaesed at that price around sept oct last year. bought it then. the "specialness" come from the fact you get a shed load of multiplayer maps and its all patched up. then there is the hint book which sort of defeats the challenge of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Had a few games of it ,not bad.
    the Specialness really means Platinum edition,doesnt mention its a Platinum game until you install it.
    Kdja

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    then there is the hint book which sort of defeats the challenge of the game.

What is this challenge you speak of? I found that game *very* easy. In fact, the last boss got stuck in some sort of glitch and didnt react until i killed him with that beast of a machine gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i thought it was hard coz i always ran out of ammo, but i suppose dismembering each and every corpse was a bit ott. maybe im just sick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i played it and got stuck in the 3rd level couldent go any futher so i gave it up. I must try it again so, but its one of those `i`ll have to wait till the kids goto bed` sort of games alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

damn good game, thought the dificulty was bang on, took a lot longre to finish that RTCW or MOHAA or C&CRenegade...The limited saving makes it bit more serious, ever tried it on max difficulty? infinite gurads *all* the time running at you constantly, you can only finish the 1st few mssions on a run

Nobody Lives Forever is €16 as well, i was pondering that, i enjoyed the demo

Im have played it for 9 hours now and finding it very easy,im on hard on the Missile factory level and have died twice.
    I do seem to everything on the run with the shotgun.
    kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Make sure you have it on a decent difficulty setting if you want the thing to last. Theres loads of them to mess about with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

I bought this about six months ago , the Platinum edition one right? , anyhow I played through it, a real fps-by-numbers job , good for zoning out and going into a crotchshot trance but beyond that theres not much in it. The multiplayer is unusually extensive but youll never use it, and the story is hilarious, with the defining moment being a very special guest appearance somewhere in the middle-east . But really If you have to choose between this and Nolf then SoF looses out badly on pretty much all fronts, cracking game nolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

SOF wasn't a bad game, fps by number yes, but one of the better ones - better guns, satisfying (yes I'm sick) gore-shots, plenty of nice maps, tied together well and didn't feel like I was simply chasing the keys to open doors all the time. Plus it had the first per-poly collision detection going on in a game.

Nolf blasts it out of the water for consideration of storyline, humour, atmosphere, inventiveness, gadgets, guns, levels etc. If you've the choice get Nolf imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Where can I get NOLF for €16?

em excuse my dumbness ,
    What is NOLF ,im on a Budget game buying shopping spree at the minute got Oni for €10 today and in the same shop i could have paid €44 for it on a different shelf.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

NOLF = No-One Lives Forever

Kind of a james bond type pisstake. With women.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

More of an Austin powers Piss-take really :)

Oni is class, SOF is good for a bash at a LAN (that mutha of a howitzer machinegun...<drools>), NOLF is enjoyable - to a point.

I don't like the 'feel' of the Lithtech engine though.

All three games rule.
    outcast is also a very good adventure game. enjoyed the demo immensely, haven't gotten around to playing much of the retail edition lately though - college taking up alot of time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

ooops, now i have to run to <...> to get nolf b4 the possé

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

in thought SOFP was a blast, a real Fps,.blow them 2 hell kinda thing, groin shots , head shots, blow limbs off etc...
    not a thinking man's Fps , but great fun , i got it cheap 2 and it is one of the games i play over + over...
    if you don't have it ,get it cheap 16 euro is for nothing.

Advertisement