Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Buy A Powerful PC in Ireland?

• 17-04-2002 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I want to buy a powerful PC and have found it hard to find anywhere in Ireland that sells one that I would consider powerful. These would be the main components of my ideal system:

Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73 GHz)
    GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB
    Western digital Caviar WD120GB
    DVD/ CD-RW Combo drive
    PC-2700 DDR 512MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Creative Labs Inspire 5300 Dolby 5.1 Speakers
    19in Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454

I have tried the usual places, Dell - they never heard of a geforce4 and there pentium4s are too expensive, PC World - they came close but only had the cheaper versions of the Geforce4 and there monitor and hard drives where no good, and a few smaller shops, but in the end I got tired searching and annoyed looking at all the great offers in the UK.

Do I have to import form UK and pay £120 shipping and risk having to send it back if it needs repairing?

Please help me! If anyone can find somewhere in Ireland (even northern Ireland) that will sell me my ideal system, can they let me know.

Thanks guys
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I could be wrong, but I don't think you will find any shops who will put together exactly that spec. I'll put it together for you if you want... email or pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Try Planet PC in Waterford.
    Email john@planetpc.ie or craig@planetpc.ie
    or phone +353 51 841 551
    They will build pc's to your spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'd go with Gerry if I were you. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

if "expensive" is a problem, getting an XP2100+ and Ti4600 is a problem. Expensive parts.

As the man said, go to Gerry. It's best getting it off someone that knows about PCs instead of PCWorld/<insert store name>, which not only know nothing about PCs generally, will also seriously overcharge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

and still manage to sell you a Celeron 266, 32 PC66 and 4meg ATi rage2 for "only" €1999 with a shítload of useless piss-antic software and a 'free' printer/scanner bundle that's worth less then Angelwhore's pubic hair trimmings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Since when has a powerful PC had a combo drive, you`ll have to build your own and purchase the parts from Different suppliers. I would rather go for two 7200 RPM Hard drives than one big one(safer), and a seperate DVD and Writer. A good motherboard(with RAID)as you want one drive per IDE Connection, Abit are my fave. The ram is good, go for 2 256mb leaving 2 slots left for expansion. "Todays beast is tomorrows dog" so look out for possible expansion as well. Are you seriously going to spend a stupid amount of money on a PC, or are you just messin around........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Steve_Astn

hi guys
    Thanks for advice, I think I have a few options now. Last week I was ready to settle for a over-priced under-powered dell, pcworld or the likes, but now after listening to gerry and searching the boards for links to good suppliers I think that it is possible to get the powerful system I want in Ireland.

These are some of the ideas I have so far
    1. Get a custom-build system from www.itdirect.ie, they have nearly everything I need. It would be a beast of a system but the price is expensive, just over €4000.

2. Get someone to build it for me, maybe they have a lot of experience with this and would be able to build a superior machine for my cash.

3. Build it myself. I could gather all the components from peats or komplett.ie, which seem to be nicely priced and then find every manual and tutorial available to get it done.

What do you think would be best option or alternatives?

"Expensive" is an issue, but as long as I know that I got the best price I could its ok.

Also, I was looking at maybe getting a dual Athlon Motherboard with two XP 2100+ processors. Do they have any major issues I should know about?

Thanks again for help
    steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Steve, have u had a look at Komplett, i just ordered an Abit KR7 raid, GF4 TI440 (whats the point in the 4600) Audigy bulk ( i can get the drivers myself, so y spend the extra 40 squid) and 512 ddr, for just under €840.
    Im pretty sure you could slap a beast of a machine outta Komplett for about €2000, oh and itdirect are fierce expensive
    Also, have a look at Komplett's bundle offers, and check out
    overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I build my own PC, last November for around 650 punt. Heres what i got:

Abit TH7 Raid mobo+PSU/onboard sound
    512 Rdram
    1.4ghz P4 CPU
    Aopen DVD Drive
    Iomega ZIP CD Burner
    Creative Labs PCI Sound Card
    Nice Big Case (http://www.pcirl.com/build/step06.asp)
    15GB Hard Drive
    Modem+Net card
    15" Song Trinitron Monitor

Here`s what I already Had:
    15gb Hard Drive
    Iomega USB Zip100 Drive
    Intelli Mouse+Keyboard
    Floppy Drive
    Speakers
    P4 Fan
    350w Dual Fan PSU

So If you shop around €2000 will get you something really good.

Advertisement