Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows installation problem.

• 18-04-2002 9:31am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok Ive finally took the plunge and last night I did a re-install of windows 98se for the first time in 3 years.(slap on the wrist for me)but now I have a small problem.
    I was getting a lot of .dll errors which I assume were registry problems so I backed up my old configuration ie internet settings,loaded software etc. and went ahead.
    When I reinstalled win 98 my old configuration was automatically restored(with the exception of the graphic card drivers which I had to re-install) with all the dll problems sorted.
    Now the problem I am having is that when I boot up the windows screen ie the one with the flying window on it constantly reads at the bottom"preparing to run windows for the first time"Strange?
    Also some of my software is crashing back to the desktop.
    What I want to know is
    1.Should I have formatted my h/d and started from scratch?
    2.The boot up screen message-does it show a problem with the new install?
    3.Can you back up everything to cd-r and if so how do you do it?
    4.What is the best way to do a full re-install?
    Sorry 1 more thing-I used a program which came with the pc,calle Gateway diagnostic system.
    When I ran this it asked me for my win 98 disk and recommended a new-install.This is the program which backed up everything for me.
    As usual any help would be appreciated.
    Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by richie18

1.Should I have formatted my h/d and started from scratch?
    Ideally, yes. Reinstalling an operating system over itself is usually a mistake. If there were registry problems before the reinstall, they often aren't resolved.

2.The boot up screen message-does it show a problem with the new install?
    If it keeps displaying the "preparing to run windows for the first time graphic, then yes.

3.Can you back up everything to cd-r and if so how do you do it?
    (assuming there's a CDR drive present) You should be able to just drag the files you want to backup to the CD (if you have something like DirectCD installed - if not just use your CD writing software -post back with details). Pointless backing up the whole disc using Ghost as ideally reformat the drive anyway.

4.What is the best way to do a full re-install?
    Backup the files you'll be wanting to use later. Make a list, check it twice. This will certainly include all your documents, any work you have been doing, your Outlook/OL Express files, perhaps your windows media library (unless you want to download all the CD details again), ICQ lists, PGP keyrings etc. Anything you will ever need to use again. Make sure you have your modem install files on a disc.

Format, reinstall windows.
    Install your modem if it doesn't install itself.
    Now you can get driver files & run windows update from the Net.
    Pop your own files back on the machine that you backed up earlier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok I do have direct cd but which files should I keep ie. to keep my internet settings,outlook express etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't worry about your internet setting too much. Get a pen and paper and note them down - username, password (if you remember) and importantly, the phone number that the computer dials for your ISP. Then when you reinstall you just create a new connection through Dial-up Networking (in my computer).

For outlook, go to explorer.

Now go Windows-->Application Data-->Microsoft-->outlook express--> identities (the order may be slightly different).

There you should find folder(s) with really long names that look like a jumble of Letters and number, enclosed in {}. Save the folders (+ contents) and then put them back in the same place when you reinstall.

Just decide what you want and save it after that. Any apps I download always get put in a specific folder, so when I'm reinstalling I can just save the entire folder to allow me to reinstall all that handy crap again. If you're like me, at least half of all the apps you use are downloaded (accounts for 500mb of my HD - when zipped), and so you'll miss them if you don;t take good care.

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thx for all the help but just one more question.Since my first post I have been getting runtime errors.What causes these?
    I also have a second hard drive on this pc and was wondering can I back up to this drive.Is it just a case of dragging my dun folder to my other drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Your ram could be faulty.......

No you'll have to write down your dun settings and set them back up again (takes less than a minute along with IE settings)

If you're still getting all these error's after a reformat then try another stick of ram if your not then it's sorted :)

• Advertisement

Fianally got the feckin thing back working.Seemed to be a prob with something I installed recently.I did a full install of windows and so far no runtime errors or invalid page faults.So im happy again.
    Thx for the help!

Advertisement