Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox price drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

fup fup fup I just bought mine last friday :(
    But
    In addition to reducing the price, Microsoft will also offer a special rebate for those who already purchased the units at the original launch price of 479 euros. Customers will simply need to bring their receipts back to the stores to get two free X-Box games of their choice and a controller.

Dav not a word you were right I was wrong :(

Now wtf am I going to do with 3 feicing controllers

A very sick Kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

wow.... that is some price drop
    the price drop was sooner than i expected
    €499 to €299 :D pretty cool....
    still wont get one, have PS2
    Microsoft must have finaly realised that people will not spend €499 on a console when the PS2 is €330 and the GameCube will be about €280-->€300
    all microsoft have to do now is drop the price of the games... €70 is way too much for a game, no matter how good it is

great news update corpo

:cool: Rabies :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

where did you buy it?
    afaik microsoft can offer you the 2 games and controllers but you don't have to accept it

when the n64 was dropped in price hmv offered me something similar but i refused and was given £100 in vouchers instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

i'm interested to see how irish retailers respond to this.
    the european price for gamecube is meant to be 249, but here it seems most stores, even though we are a euro country, will be charging upwards of €279. will the xbox be dropped to €329 in ireland?? interesting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by kayos
    Dav not a word you were right I was wrong :(
    I'm saying nothing...

Except...

HAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAA!!!!!!
    IN YOUR FACE MUPPET BOY!!! :p

This is a wholly justified gloat as kayos was warned not to buy an X-Box by my good self all week last week as I knew there was going to be a price drop (just didn't think it'd be this soon).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You'll almost certainly find the Xbox retailing at about €330 in Ireland. It'll be £199 in the UK, even though that Euro price actually translates as just under £185.

Expect Xbox to be exactly the same price as PS2 (although PS2 may get a drop in a couple of months) and the Cube to come in a few quid cheaper than both of them.

This is a massive move from Microsoft. Admittedly all it does is bring the console price in line with Japan and the USA, since we were being overcharged massively... Now, however, the Xbox can be judged on merit against the PS2, rather than just dismissed out of hand. As it stands, PS2 has far better games anyway and is a better console at the moment, but at least Xbox now has a fighting chance.

I'll be interested to see sales figures over the coming weeks. The new price is attractive, but there's also the psychological thing here - dropping the price so soon looks like MS are really struggling, and gives the consumer the impression of a failing product...

The new price is attractive, but there's also the psychological thing here - dropping the price so soon looks like MS are really struggling, and gives the consumer the impression of a failing product...

that is so true... just because the XBOX is a microsoft product it does not mean it will have a successful future. the XBOX only has decent sales in USA. poor sales in japan.... thats not a good sign... and to buy an XBOX in ireland a person needs to take out a bank loan to get it.... all consoles have potential but if the XBOX doesnt make any headway in the market within the next year then i can see it heading to console heaven and joining up with the Jaguar, 3DO, Dreamcast etc....

there is really only room for two consoles in the market

may the better console win.....

a console is only as good as its games!!

:cool: Rabies :cool:

poor sales in japan....

Heh, yes - it's done even worse in Japan than in Europe, and it's not about to get any better. It's already cheaper there than anywhere else in the world.

Microsoft might as well pack their bags and go home. The Japanese don't want Xbox, and it's got nothing to do with the price - they just hate the thing.

The Japanese don't want Xbox, and it's got nothing to do with the price - they just hate the thing.

i played an xbox in GAME at the weekend. was playing the some racing game.. dunno which one it was..... what i hated was the joypad HOLY CHRIST it is a piece of sh|t..... do microsoft have a R&D department at all..... what is the deal with such a crap joypad...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Don't remember where I read it, but I believe the PS1 is outselling the XBox in Japan? That true?

Still won't buy an Xbox.

I'll be buying the DreamCast which is cheaper then the Xbox and I have two GBA's as well so I can link them up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The dreamcast is even outselling it in Japan, the Xbox has nothing that the japenese like but there is very little room for another console, the PS2 does completely own every corner of every market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I think you mean a Gamecube rather than A Dreamcast dont u?

Nope.

rough figures for Japan (a week)

PS2: 70K
    NGC: 15K
    Dreamcast: 4K
    PS1: 3.5K
    Xbox: 2K

Last week i believe a PS1 game topped the charts in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Sorry, should of made it clearer i was referring to Hobbes who is planning on connecting his two GBA's to a dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

YEah the ps1 is doing great every where, i thought it would be long dead by bow, but every time i go into game i see mothers buying some wwf game for their 10 year olds, the xbox is way out of their league so the ps1 could do well just cause its cheap. A lot of parents have game buying power and cant see the difference in a ps1/ps2/xbox machine, all they see is the price difference. The price of the games is the real factor, get little Jonny a 10 quid game every week or a 70 quid game at crimbo and birthday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by chernobyl
    The dreamcast is even outselling it in Japan, the Xbox has nothing that the japenese like but there is very little room for another console, the PS2 does completely own every corner of every market.

The DreamCast is actually a really good machine, with a nicel;y designed O/S too.

Just a shame that everyone was wary after the Sega Saturn debacle, which is a shame :confused:

Oh, that and that Sega were the smallest console company in the market, and were having a hard enough time with Nintendo. But as soon as Sony stepped in, and then the rumours of M$ jumping onboard made up their minds to pull out for them :(

A shame as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

On paper the DC was a failure but to me it was a roraring success, so many great games that I still play.

With the news of this X-Box price drop I shall definetly purchase one now. Need Shenmue 3 and Tekki.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by mbroaders
    I think you mean a Gamecube rather than A Dreamcast dont u?

indeed... my lack of Console l33tn3ss exposed! Oh My!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Sony still kickin the crap out of everyone else. and rightly too cos they all suck!

just look at the design of all their controlers ffs. G E Y N E S S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Gideon, you have the dexterous prowess of an amputee, shut up!
    The GC has a great control pad. The Ps2 is ok too, but it's sh!te for FPS games. Timesplitters being the exception. The n64 one was good. Turok had the best control system of any FPS on the console market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

lets hope this boosts sales just in time for CM XBox in a couple of weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ffs Giblet ya tosser, told ya that you wrote that reply crap and ya didn't edit it.

All other controllers are like bricks compared to the ps. The x-box one is stupidly huge.
    dexterous prowess of an amputee
    ^ dumbass, look at meeeeeeeee i try to look super brainy. keep this simple for ya, u is quite geeeeey.

and what feckin loser plays fps on a console, thats what a pc is for! what with havin a mouse and all, i know that ya can get a mouse and keyboard for the dc but who cares?!

neaggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Gideon
    All other controllers are like bricks
    compared to the ps.

Erm, have you actually used a dreamcast controller??

They are choice to use! Perfectly shaped, and very comfy to hold. I could hold one for hours and not feel any discomfort .. unlike the controllers for a certain BRICK which has flopped dismally since its release weeks ago.

The x-box one is stupidly huge.

On that you'll get no argument from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Gideon
    and what feckin loser plays fps on a console, thats what a pc is for! what with havin a mouse and all, i know that ya can get a mouse and keyboard for the dc but who cares?!

This feckin loser does. Because hey, this feckin loser isn't going to let stupid format fanboyism deny him the pleasures of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark or Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Alan shut up, you have only ever owned a psone and ps2. I have at this moment a n64, psone and 2, and a dreamcast, and therefore am able to draw up a comparsion and the ps joypad aint too great. The n64 was the daddy for fps and platforms, except when it messed up from using it too much. Dreamcast is a bit wierd, but quake 3 was ok. Good console FPS games sell better than pc ones nowadays. And goldeneye was great. You were complaining to me about split screens being gey, and golden eye being a "loner" game. Yes and playing quake over the net with a bunch of unknowns makes you feel like mr.mates eh?. Even at lans, people dont know eachother. 4 player split screen may look ****e, but you can thump your mate when he kills you.

And man your replies generally look like you were telling a monkey to type. And you can type properly, jesus man. So i dont know what your problem is. Plus im gonna beat ya tommorow when eamo gives me a lift in. hehe. Your just annoyed that, even though i'm half the size of you, and lets face it, who isn't, i still managed to get the front seat muwhahahah. (very sad)

Sorry for the off topicness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ahem, take outside girls.

Yeah goldeneye was something special.I remember when i was supervising the Junior Cert Exams, we all brought
    our N64's and PSx's in and pretty much played Fifa 2000 and Golden Eye from 9 to 5 for about 2-3weeks.
    Excellent stuff.

Gideon man, have you actually sat down and played Halo or even an Xbox for just a few hours?
    I too before playing Halo was very concerned as to how well the PC FPS game would run via a Console Pad and
    im glad to say that infact its very easy.
    The controller is well designed, both sticks and triggers and although the die hard FPS pc gamer would find the transition like trying to cut a tumour out with a spoon, the rest would adopt easily.
    :)

I can never understand why ppl are convinced that the Xbox controller is so big, that they are still discovering new territory on it?
    If you put a PS2 controller against a Xbox one you can see that the Xbox one is only marginally wider and the buttons are in practically the same positions but the Xbox one does have a much larger surface area.

*cough* psychosomatic syndrome *cough*
    My fuzzy webcam comparison

/Ninty Cube has the best one though of current consoles.

Er quite. In the age old format of the teachers ganging up on the offending students, I'd like to point out that if Gideon and Giblet don't sort their acts out and start behaving, they'll be staying behind after class for "special tuition" with Mr Amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

best control pad for me so far has being the dreamcast
    took be about 1 week to get used to it after the ps1,but for racing games its just to slick and the l and r triggers are far better than the playstations L1,R1 etc
    and the ps2 controller is a piece of crap,wtf are them two analouge thumb pads ther for??? they just get in the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by the_corpo
    afaik microsoft can offer you the 2 games and controllers but you don't have to accept it

microsoft dont have to give you anything.
    what are you arguing for?

Advertisement