Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2: 5 Very Quick Reviews

Options
  • 18-04-2002 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Your opinions will most definitely vary from mine, here's what I thought of these 5 PS2 games:

Ico *

I expected something interesting from this but I wasn't smart enough to make it off the first level so I spent 5 or 10 minutes wandering around this room with no exit. Back into the box. Tomb Raider meets Prince of Persia.

Resident Evil 2: Codename Veronika **

Not sure if I got the name right but after playing the shootemup RE1 I was hoping that those stupid opening-door/walking-up-stairs intervals would be gone in the new PS2 version. I was wrong. Breaking up the gameplay, I soon got sick of the waits.

MTV Music Generator 2 **

Maybe I'm spoiled having a PC with Cakewalk/Rebirth and my own synth but I soon got bored of trying to compose music on my PS2 - reminded me a bit of the PC SoundForge thingy - the samples were very good though, and despite placing samples very much at random throughout my first song it sounded okay.

Gran Turismo 3 ****

Good fun challenging driving game, especially if you aspire to owning one of the available cars... I was lucky enough to have the press pack which had a book describing the various cars. Difficult once you progress past the beginner circuits, especially with the underpowered cars you are forced to buy with the limited budget in Gran Turismo mode. I guess you could try and keep racing around the easy beginner oval circuit and win it 50 times so that you could buy a right car (each win is $1000), but the boredom would probably kill you. To progress to future levels you have to complete a series of driving license tests, I'm still stuck on the first one!

Space Channel 5 ****

Ulala! I think any PS2 owner should get to see this game in action as no description could do it justice. My favourite of the five, and I had some laughs too. Lost a star because of the extreme lighting effects on level 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Ico is very good if you give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I can't believe you slagged off Ico :eek: . Go to your room with no dinner. That is the pinnacle of gaming, dammit!

You did like Space Channel 5 though, partial redemption! :)

(Up down up down Chu Chu Chu!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Ico is very good if you give it a chance.

i was told it is too easy, it can be finished in a day...

that is the same as metal gear solid.... there is no real challange anymore in games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Maybe I'll take it back out of its box then ;) Chu chu chu!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Okay perhaps a revised score for Ico is in order: three stars!

I've rescued the princess - but I'm still wandering around lost - and TBH I wasn't really a fan of Tomb Raider; if you are you'll probably love this because the gameplay is quite similar.

Having said that, the graphics are mesmerising - I was playing for about 45 minutes with two friends watching, and didn't feel the time going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I would have said ICO was a lot more like Prince of Persia (the original 2D classics, not the crappy 3D remake) than Tomb Raider. No shooting or anything, for a start, and Tomb Raider's puzzles were never as complex as ICO's...

It's pretty cunning really. The learning curve is tiny - there are about five or six thing Ico can do, and that's your lot. You get to grips with them very quickly. The difficulty curve, however, is smooth but steep - it doesn't give you new things to do, but working out how to combine your abilities to solve problems and manipulate the environment is fiendish at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

"i was told it is too easy, it can be finished in a day... "

geeezzzzz, i must be getting old.....still stuck at waterfall bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I finished ICO last weekend, must say, very enjoyable. although, now i don't have anything else to play.

I think I'll get myself a Gamecube, with the wierd Japanese Game and also a copy of the Star Wars Game. Plus I'll be able to hook up my GBA to it.

I was in Game yesterday and I have to say that there was a great interest in the Gamecube, nobody seemed to care about the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Cloud, go out and buy Grand Theft Auto 3. No PS2 is complete without it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by TinCool
    I finished ICO last weekend, must say, very enjoyable. although, now i don't have anything else to play.
    Learn to pace yourself.

I think I'll get myself a Gamecube, with the wierd Japanese Game and also a copy of the Star Wars Game. Plus I'll be able to hook up my GBA to it.
    Done allready by Jagaur and Lynx.
    I was in Game yesterday and I have to say that there was a great interest in the Gamecube, nobody seemed to care about the Xbox.
    Probably had a PC at home :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement