Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New "most annoying ad ever" - undisputable...

• 18-04-2002 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

http://www.logofreetv.org.uk/render.asp?mode=SciFi_3

The Sci-Fi channel has started running these ads over some programs - ads which actually obscure the faces of characters speaking half the time, and run over the top of the program rather than during ad breaks.

This, frankly, is unspeakably lame. Wonder how long before other channels pick up on it... :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It hasn't got too far under my skin yet (I was under the impression it's temporary), but if it continues, I can see a lot of quite annoyed viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i haven't seen that before cuz I don't watch the sci-fi channel much. Is it just on the sci-fi channel that this is happening or is it on other channel too.
    From the looks of those pix i think i would be pretty annoyed if in the middle of a program i liked some stupid logos came up on the screen. i hope it is just on the sci-fi channel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You've got to be joking me. I'm still in the process of getting sky digital, was looking forward to the sci fi channel. if they keep that sh!t up I won't be watching it, for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

God but that looks crap. What will they come up with next?

One "smart" set of advertising I have seen is whats used on a lot of continental stations during sporting events. The ad-break comes on, but the sporting event is run as "window-in-window" so you can at least see if anything interesting happens.

For me, an F1 fan, this is far better than "real" ad breaks, but not as ideal as no ad breaks during the event (as Austrian TV have).

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Ah, if only I had the Sci-Fi channel.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Yeah those nappy bloody adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Didn't notice any ads like this when I was watching Akira on sunday night, but I haven't watched the channel since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

For me the most annoying ad is the one with all the ppl saying goodbye and it says something like"say goodbye to digifone,hello to O2".WHAT THE FLYING F.UCK IS O2??????!!!!!!!!!????????Im confused as to whether its the new name for digifone[and i hope it isnt cos it sounds like a brand of mineral water]or is it a new company telling us to switch away from digifone?Either way why change the name?Im used to digifone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Looking at the pictures on that website you posted a link to shinji, isn't that the thing where you see the logo and you ring the number so that they can get a kind of a viewer census. I have seen the ads for it during the proper ad breaks but have never seen it during a programme. Either way I can see how it can get annoying.
    And The Gopher: Afraid that is the new name for digifone. It was bought by BT along with networks in Germany and Holland as far as I know and they are giving all the networks the same name so you should proably get used to it, just like we've had to with Vodafone and starburst (They should be opal fruits dammit opaaalll fruuuuuits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

If any TV station did that to a program i made, i would sue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

Most annoying ad has to be one of those insurance ads on digital.

Little billy here broke his wrist on a disabled boys nose. Billys mother called us and we sued the cripple for 50,00 pound.
    Have you or your child been involved in a similar accident.
    Call us now.

or

DO you want a window cleaner that doubles up as a time machine. COmes free with a hits of the 80s Cd. ANd remember
    you cant buy this in the shops. And because were feelin really generous were goin to throw in this free penali pen set. It cuts through steel, it pierces human flesh. Own a set today!

Yes the bane of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

ads?

how about that freaking yoplait ad with the distorted faces and ****ed up music

those ****ers, every time i see it my mind turns to genocide

"oh thats nice!"
    is it nice?.....BANG, BANG, BANG....I'LL KILLL YEE ALL....

Advertisement