Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Games Getting Too Easy ??

Options
  • 18-04-2002 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

just taught i'd post this and see what everyone else taught....

Are Games Getting Too Easy ??

I bought Metal Gear Solid for the PS2 a while back and i found it too easy, finished with in a few hours. there was no challange on normal difficulty. A friend on mine hired out ICO from xtravision and he finished the game in one day...
    Also i bought Mario Kart Advance and finished every track on all difficulty levels and got the gold cup first time around.... getting all the secret track now

I will admit that both MGS and Mario Kart have great replay value but what about a challange....

Some of you might say i should try something like CIV3 or some other strategy game, but i never really got in to those types of games....

:cool: Rabies :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Try strategy games! should change your mind fairly quick ;)

But in saying that there are some occasions where they can be too easy too. Whilst playing ST Armada 2, particularly in the Klingon missions, i just went directly for the mission objective and skiped by all the bases i should of really destroyed along the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

If your friend was able to complete ICO within a day on his own merit, then good for him, hes a nifty gamer and has lots of time.

I have ICO for about 2 weeks and only have about 3 hours game play and am currently @ the East Arena i have no idea how far that is but the game is logical in its puzzels and not disjointed so once you have done 3 or 4 you should nail the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

able to complete ICO within a day on his own merit, then good for him, hes a nifty gamer and has lots of time.

he just got it out at the weekend so he had no work on and just played straight through it....

I have taught about buying the game myself, would you recommend it? is it easy ? is there much replay value in it....

Try strategy games! should change your mind fairly quick

I own Age of Empires 2 on the PC. Only reason i have it is cos it was free :D play it now and again, dont play the campaigns. just the normal battles..... not really in to strategy games....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well it took me a good 2 months to finish MOHaa. BUt i played it on the Hard diffuculty.
    I do rember a time when it was nigh on imposiable to finish games ( back in the amiga days ). I like the fact that now you can finish just about any game with ease. If a game was too hard and you were stuck on level 3 the whole time what was the point in the programmers making the rest of the levels. But i agree that some games are over too quick, just to make you go out and buy another game.

play the games on hard of you want them to last longer i say!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't think it's a thing of games being to easy, as much as they are too short.
    No honest gamer likes to not have a challenge, but I think it's more a factor of the games actual size.

I mean, the best games are those HUGE ones, like Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, and so on.
    There's no way you'd finish those in a day.

Games should be bigger, rather than harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya... what angelwhore said. Longer games are good, but I don't like really difficult games because they frustrate me :)

If you're looking for a challenge, then nothing can be more challenging than multiplayer gaming, since theres always people who can beat you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah. Setting the difficulty higher will help.

Though I do agree some games are too short. Look at Max Payne. I was looking forward to that for aaages, got it, finished in a few hours. Oh, it's over. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

the easy setting on games does indeed seem to be far too easy these days!

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I don't think it's a thing of games being to easy, as much as they are too short.
    No honest gamer likes to not have a challenge, but I think it's more a factor of the games actual size.

I mean, the best games are those HUGE ones, like Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, and so on.
    There's no way you'd finish those in a day.

Games should be bigger, rather than harder.

hey, i totaly agree with that point.... games are getting shorter now. For example MGS2, great game but too short. I kinda found it more like an interactive movie than a game.
    But ya it would be great if games were longer. developers are prob under pressure to get games out to the market so they games are probably rushed and therefore shorter than originaly planned...

Originally posted by koneko
    Setting the difficulty higher will help.

i always play through a game on it default level first, then when its finished start again on higher levels......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I agree games are getting too easy.
    I finished MOHAA in about 20 hours on hard .
    RTCW took a little bit longer but that heinrich guy was easy to beat.
    I have Deus Ex never really got into it.
    Soldier of Fortune i bought on weds and 9 hours of playtime later im on the last level on hard i have died twice (once i shot that Hawk guy and the other a bridge collasped and i fell into hot stuff).
    The best thing is multiplayer and a 56k connection then a game can get real hard.
    I found Half Life to be fairly hard.
    I have all the Age of Empires and once you play it for a while and figure out the stupidity of the computer you will finish every mission on hard very easily,as it repeats it self. I hope new one fixes that.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

then when its finished start again on higher levels......
    I could never do that, once I finish a game I dont really replay it at all - most puzzles are the same except for more baddies and that kind of thing, its a bit boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

yea i agree with vagga, the same ****e, only a few more baddies, less ammo and a hit takes off 10-20% more health!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I have Deus Ex never really got into it.

Em, well get into it like. Theres months of gaming to be had with Deus Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Afraid not swifty,lasted me 3days :o
    Brilliant 3 days tho.
    Got JK2 off a friend,finsiehd it on dfeauklt difficulty in 2days, far too easy. They made last boss stupidly easy,on strong light saber style you kill him in 3 hits!!! Juts sit back,when he throws his sabre jump in and thwack,repeat twice, sit through long and exceedingly pewp ending. OFrce powers are jolly good fun tho :)

If you want a long game, go for RPG's,finish baldurs gate 2 in under a fortnight (if thats even possable :o) and you have no life,at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

If your looking for a challenge go get Space Quest not the remastered version, the orginal, a text based adventure game...

If you think games are getting too easy, it might be possible your getting to good at the games in the genre you stick too, try messing around with RTS games and some of the better RPG games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I still cant clear Half-Life. :(

Yeh, I got stuck at that severly retarded giant spider. I think my game was glitched tho. I emptied all my ammo from every gun into him and he just sat on his arse and took it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games are too easy these days. while pc fps are still challenging they are ruined by the quicksave function. Dark forces is one of my favourite games cos you can't quicksave in a mission. Console games have really become easy. Play some of konami's old games to see the difference between them and mgs1 and 2. Capcom are the only company that seem to still know how to make a challenging game. Try devil may cry for some old school challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

all the games i've played on pc and psx these days are easier

I've not had a decent challenge since Kid Chamealon, tomb Raider 1, sonic 2, wipeout 1, abes oddessy, AvP 1....

dont get me wrong, in gt 3 the gold licences are hard but nothing a little bit of prac can solve

devil may cry was a piece of piss with manual fighting controls
    the fifth and final time you finish it is class!

but the last great challenge i had was Serious Sam...a great game for the reflexes....

i vote for save crystals, like ole TR 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was insulted when devil may cry asked me to play on easy mode but when i got to the first boss i realised i should have played it on easy the game still rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Want a good challenge, anyone remember Carrier Command ? the Space Quest serious were good, if not sometimes iiritating. Games have become shorter on consoles, and more expensive. While FPS games on PCs have become huge, take Hitman for instance, so many ways to complete a mission, or Op Flashpoint, the detail and size of those levels is massive. But unfortunetly the real fun in games is playing online or over the LAN, Delta Force 2 , graphics aren't the best, but the gameplay will go on forever in multiplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

Originally posted by Rabies

I own Age of Empires 2 on the PC. Only reason i have it is cos it was free :D play it now and again, dont play the campaigns. just the normal battles..... not really in to strategy games....

well in my opinion youve got the best strategy game ever made.
    i know you said youre not into them, but if you ever do get into strategy games stick with AOK, and you cant go wrong.

"you played for two hours to lose like this" hahaha:D

Shut up will you. Starcraft will never be bettered except by a warcraft or starcraft sequel. (thats a hint for a new starcraft if theres any blizzard people reading).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dunno what's been posted before, but here's my theory.

With the increase in graphics capability in games nowadays, alot more time must be spent on the labourous task of creating teh textures, hi-polycount models and inventive surroundings for games. Eyecandy basicly, leaving less time (dictated by publishers) for including every possible feature that the designers had come up with.
    There is also a certain amount of elad time needed for playtesting of games, and if a certain part of a game is proving too hard they may just remove it alltogether as they don't have enough time to get it perfect.
    This is also a prime cause for patch working in games (only in PC games so far due to their more 'open' nature - but expect the XBox+broadband to change that).
    It's not always cos the coders were college graduates with less real-world coding experience then a 15year old on a BBC micro.

[/RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i totally agree, ever since the snes stopped producin games all games ive played have taken me about 5 mins to complete, with the exception of the zelda titles on the n64, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Snes had the right mix of gameplay and difficulty, although Mario Kart ain`t hard to finish the battle mode means that i can still be played again and again. I still play some old snes emulated games like:

Chrono Trigger
    Yoshis Island
    Mario Kart
    ISS

Easy to play, hard to master

why oh why did Nintendo turn into a huge amount of crap aka N64

Advertisement