Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT: Flat-rate ammendment to Bill

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I've emailed Frank Fahey and Eammon O Cuiv. The text might be helpful to others:

Minsters Fahey & Ó Cuív,

As Fianna Fail representives for Galway East, I urge you not to oppose the Opposition Ammendment to the Communications (Regulation) Bill, 2002, being debated later today, which reads:

Section 12 A(8) The Commission may require an operator to provide other operators with bitstream services and flat-rate interconnection services and set prices for these services. The Commission may exercise this power at its own initiative, or at the request of an operator.

The Irish consumer and Irish businesses are currently deprived of access to the reasonably priced broadband and flat-rate services that all other European countries take for granted. This amendment will ensure that the Commission receives much needed powers to promote competition in this area.

Please note also that although this issue strongly affects the business I work for, I am addressing you in a purely personal capacity on this matter and that my views do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Best Regards,

Kieran Coughlan

Interface Development Manager/Systems Administrator
    MCS International
    Lismoyle House, Merchant's Road, Galway, IRELAND.
    Ph: +353-91-566455
    Fx: +353-91-566457

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

ok, sent an email to a load of 'em:
    A Chara,

As a follow up to my previous email,

The opposition is tabling the following amendment to the Communications bill today:

Section 12 A(8) The Commission may require an operator to provide other operators with bitstream services and flat-rate interconnection services and set prices for these services. The Commission may exercise this power at its own initiative, or at the request of an operator.

As an ordinary internet user, I would appreciate it if you would NOT oppose the above amendment.

Also, in response to my first mail, I got favourable replies from Brendan Howlin, Jim Mitchell, Noel O'Flynn (FF).

Emmet Stagg is handling matter for the Labour Party, Jim Higgins for FG.

In the Dail this morning, Gay Mitchell expressed concern that it was being rushed though (The order of business was on TG4)

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Emailed all my local TD's guess which ones bounced, yes all the government ones. What a bloody joke they are.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Try faxing them, Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

This amendment was only published this morning.
    The vote will be rushed through this afternoon.
    Given the urgency of the situation we have no reason to apologise for ringing up our constituency TDs in the next couple of hours
    Ask to speak to them directly.
    Leave messages.
    Speak to thier assistants asking them to pass the message on or talking to them directly.
    Leave your phone number and ask them to phone you back. That way they know it srous and that you are not just spamming them.
    If you are lobbying a Minister phone their Department & ask to be put through to the Minister's office and say your piece.

• Advertisement

Do what vinnyfitz says, please. Also, make sure you have sent something by email, fax or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by gandalf
    Emailed all my local TD's guess which ones bounced, yes all the government ones. What a bloody joke they are.
    I think that RTE page is screwed up. My mail got bounced as well because underscores aren't allowed in hostnames. Try replacing the underscore with a hyphen -- this seemed to work for me.
    To: eoin_ryan@tourism-sport.irlgov.ie
    Dear Mr Ryan,
    The following is an amendment due to be debated this afternoon in the
    Dail:

Section 12 A(8) The Commission may require an operator to provide other
    operators with bitstream services and flat-rate interconnection
    services and set prices for these services. The Commission may exercise
    this power at its own initiative, or at the request of an operator.

I am an ordinary Internet user and this amendment is vital if Ireland is
    to have modern Internet access. At the moment, Internet access in
    Ireland lags far behind Europe and America. Eircom have shown little
    interest in changing this situation -- they would prefer to protect
    their lucrative monopoly and charge the consumer exorbitant prices for
    a substandard service. This amendment will allow the ODTR to
    mandate the introduction of advanced, cheaper Internet access
    products. As a constituent of yours in Dublin South East, I ask you to
    please SUPPORT this amendment.
    Thank you for your consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spiral5150

Just to say that I've e-mailed GV Wright about the ammendment. He is the FF TD for Dublin North.

Colin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I cannot stress the importance of this amendment.

Esat have said that the reason they can't provide flat rate, is because of the pointlessness of continuous and never ending drawn out negotiations with Eircom.

The ODTR have said that they want flat rate as a product but they do not currently have the powers to mandate it. This amendment must be carried. It is vital.

David Long
    Chairman IrelandOffline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Thats great news

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    Thats great news
    Especially if the ammendment is carried ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

sorry im finding it hard to get around that site, anybody have phone numbers for dublin north east

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    sorry im finding it hard to get around that site, anybody have phone numbers for dublin north east
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/constituency_106.htm
    Woods, Michael
    13 Kilbarrack Grove, Raheny, Dublin 5
    Phone: (01) 8323357(Home) or (01) 8734700(Work)

Brady, Martin
    37 Grangemore Drive, Dublin 13.
    Phone: (01) 8484509(Home), (01) 6183368(Work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I've email all of the TD's in Dublin Central.

http://www.rte.ie/news/dailguide/constituencies/dublincentral.html

Bertie Ahern (FF)
    Tony Gregory (Ind)
    Marian McGennis (FF)
    Jim Mitchell (FG)

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Emailed all of the tds for Wexford there now; no bounces yet anyway. :)

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just emailed the Sitting TD'S in Roscommon/Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sent to Austin Currie(FG) and Mary Harney(PD) (Dub mid-west):
    A Chara,
    The following is a proposed admendment to the Communication Bill, which is due for debate this afternoon.

As an Irish internet user it is *vital* that this is added to the communications bill in order to preserve Ireland's place as a technological leader and to prevent further disasters, such as Microsoft's decision to not build another plant here because of poor internet services. The internet situation in Ireland is at a critical turning point, and without this admendment, all future hopes of turning Ireland into an 'E-Hub' will be lost. In these days' current trend, a workforce without internet experience, is no workforce at all.
    As a registered voter in your constiuency, I am sure you will make the prudent decision,

Yours,
    yada...
    yada...
    yada...

Done in a bit of a rush.

BTW. How the fook did Mary Harney get a .ie domain??! ie. www.maryharney.ie wtf!!!!! Shady dealings and brown envelopes methinks......

Originally posted by seamus
    BTW. How the fook did Mary Harney get a .ie domain??! ie. www.maryharney.ie wtf!!!!! Shady dealings and brown envelopes methinks......
    http://www.domainregistry.ie/policies/namingpolicy.html#section3
    3.8 Category 8 - Politician's Name
    3.8.1 Availability
    This category of name is available where the applicant is a natural person (see Paragraph 2.1) who, at the time of application, is one of the following:

(a) The President of Ireland
    (b) A sitting (already elected) or standing (certificate showing that he/she is an official candidate) politician at National (32 counties) or European level, which can be verified by an election officer or as is the case in Northern Ireland a returning officer. (Any politician representing the 32 counties) eg: MEP, TD, or Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
    (c) A person officially contesting in elections for the above offices immiedately before an election
    Seems to be above board...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Emailed TD's for kildare North,

Bernard Durkan (FG)
    Charlie McCreevy (FF) ( emailed webmaster which was there as his contact address. Didn't have his personal address)
    Emmet Stagg (Lab)

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

When abouts would we know the results of the bill etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Is there any chance devore could put this up as a boards.ie-wide announcement?

It does potentially affect every home internet user in the country after all - not just the one's who read this board / subscribed to the mailing list....

oh yeah and i sent a shout out to my dublin west homies - higgins, lenihan, deasie and that other one...

David Long (Dangger) is in the public gallery as we, eh, speak. News will travel back to this thread pretty quickly on the status of the amendment and the Bill itself.

if anyone thinks a video of the proceedings would be of use, tell me quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

god I wish I had seen this tread earlier :( Anyway, Ive posted off a number of emails myself just now... hope it aint that late

An audio recording would be great, pete.

i'll bung a video in, so

should be able to make and mp3 or real video or whatever quickly enough....

Thanks pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've got everything I can cross crossed hoping that this amendment will be added to the Bill and that the Bill will be passed. I'm not a religious person but I'm on my knees praying that this will work out. Here's hoping.

They just started....

here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Can you keep us posted on progress, pete. Particularly when this particular amendment is being debated. Thanks.

Advertisement