Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT: Flat-rate ammendment to Bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just remember at the Election that it was Mary O'Rourke of Fianna Fail that stopped Flat Rate been added to the legislation. The European directive will more than likely take a year or more and then there will be a time-period before it will be enforcable.

This problem could have been fixed now but no the current Government have put it on the long finger again. When they come calling make sure you highlight this fact.

Whatever small chance Fianna Fail and the PDs had of getting me to vote for them has now gone.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by gandalf
    Just remember at the Election that it was Mary O'Rourke of Fianna Fail that stopped Flat Rate been added to the legislation. The European directive will more than likely take a year or more and then there will be a time-period before it will be enforcable.

This problem could have been fixed now but no the current Government have put it on the long finger again. When they come calling make sure you highlight this fact....

Oh, don't worry. I will! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

This cant be true..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

can someone please explain why in all of her glory, did she oppose letting flat rate through? why Oh why did she decide to go against flat rate? why would she leave the whole issue to drag along for another year ? ............ me thinks she's getting a back hander from a little known telco called eircum ???

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Anybody have a link, or even a name of the peice of European Legislation, that Mary O'Rourke believes will solve our problems?

(For now, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume that she meant well, and this euro bill is the bees knees.... for now...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by timod
    Anybody have a link, or even a name of the peice of European Legislation, that Mary O'Rourke believes will solve our problems?

(For now, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume that she meant well, and this euro bill is the bees knees.... for now...)
    I'm pretty sure it is "Telecommunications regulatory package". I can't find the definitive link. Yoda should have it mentioned in his report and we also have it on tape (thanks to pete). I'm having a few beers now ;) but I'll have a look later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It all seems futile. An Irish parliament should not be awaiting EU legalislation.

What was included in the Communications bill?
    Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

I am normally the one preaching that we need to be optimistic.

I am loosing hope of change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

balls

:(

how depressing is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Ah thats it, screw Fianna Fail now, this is a disgrace. What the hell is Mary O'Rourke up to ? Shes being influenced by someone. Are IrelandOffline going to seek an explanation for this ?

I swear I'm going to rip any Fianna Fail campaigner apart that comes to my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 J@ck Chri5tie

Originally posted by Kix
    I've emailed Frank Fahey and Eammon O Cuiv. The text might be helpful to others:

...As Fianna Fail representives for Galway East, ...

They represent Galway West :)

Just about to email them myself.

I'm going to include this in my mails too:

"If Eircom were to voluntarily separate its retail and network businesses into two companies, one providing infrastructure to all players in the market and the other offering retail services using that infrastructure, it is likely that a more genuinely competitive market for access to telecommunications infrastructure could develop."
    http://www.forfas.ie/newsasp/show.asp?page_id=239

JC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Ah thats it, screw Fianna Fail now, this is a disgrace. What the hell is Mary O'Rourke up to ? Shes being influenced by someone. Are IrelandOffline going to seek an explanation for this ?

Of course we are going to seek answers from the Minister!

However right now, I'm like an unexploded bomb.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Focus yourself young jedi knight. Do not give in to the dark side:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Anyone have any idea who we can email in the EU to hurry this "Telecommunications regulatory package"? Or maybe jsut give a good ripping to the government/eircom about the dire state of the country? Maybe the threat of EU funding being cut off might get things rolling?
    "Do something about your telecomms or no more money from us! Bad Irish government! Bad Eircom! Bad!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by J@ck Chri5tie

They represent Galway West :)

Right you are sir. Forgive my confusion. I'm from GE but resident in GW. :)

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Originally posted by Dangger

However right now, I'm like an unexploded bomb.

I am jacks raging temper.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Jpaulik
    I am jacks raging temper. :)
    I am jacks complete lack of surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Ok, This is what I've come up with after watching that clip supplied by pete ;)

The goverment, should I say FF/Mary O Rurke are trying to avoid offending eircom now (and damage relations with the states largest business), and instead will let Europe and the EU do it in 6-8 months time, and so use the EU as a scapegoat ... 'sorry buddy, it aint us forcing you to introduce flat rate, its europe'

Sorry for letting my brain wonder, but I really can't come to terms with the reasons why mary o rurke avoided the issue of flat-rate. She says that this wonderfull new law that will be in effect in 6-8 months will do everything for us.. but if this will do magic later in the year, why not relieve some of the pressure NOW ? and if we forget anything, let it be sorted out in 6-8 months ...

I got a reply from Tony Gregory TD today, and he said:
    I understand that it was pre-arranged between the Party Whips that the
    amendments would not be pressed to a Vote.

So I'm not sure how effective our faxes/calls/email to government TD's would have been.

But it has had a huge effect in letting our representatives know the true facts. I think it is really great that the price comparisons between countries is on the offical Dail record.

Is it worthwhile keeping a record somewhere of the polititions that sent back a genuinly positive response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

theres no point seeking answers from the minister, they'd just give you the same old bullshít; "it'd hurt eircom too badly"

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

How little i have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by timod
    Is it worthwhile keeping a record somewhere of the polititions that sent back a genuinly positive response?

For the record - i emailed my 4 sitting TD's and didn't get a single response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

I had a reply from Mildred Fox T.D. at 5.15 on the day saying she would be voting for the bill at 6.15. Can I get confirmation that she was not in fact there? That she is not on record as saying anything is not, in my book, conclusive as there was an unattributed "agreed" at the end of the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

I haven't even had an acknowledgement back from Eoin Ryan (Fianna Fail). I guess he doesn't want my vote. I'll be voting for Fine Gael, (Jim Higgin's party) as they are the only party that seem to have an interest in this issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can I get confirmation that she was not in fact there?

You can; she wasn't. The only TD's in the House at the time we're Jim Higgins (FG), Brian? O'Shea (Lab) and Mary O'Rourke (FF). I'm not sure about the rest of our "representatives", but Bertie Ahern and Mary Harney were swanning around the country trying to tie down votes. The Opposition were apparently most upset about this, but apparently not upset enough to be there themselves?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

"I'll be voting for Fine Gael, (Jim Higgin's party)"

Fine Gael were in power before this Goverment.
    They sold a portion of Telecom Eireann to KPN & Talia.
    They did very little else.
    Mary O Rourke ran rings around Mr. Higgins.
    I think - We'll have to bring the issue to the attention of canvassors.
    I will be voting FF - they at least brought in the bill.
    This battle is not over.

they at least brought in the bill.

After how many years? Originally introduced in 2000, FYI.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Dear Ms. Fox,

Just a short not to let you know that the amendment I asked you to support was not passed, nor were you there to support it. The Bill itself, which I asked you to ensure was passed, was indeed passed, but you were not there to ensure it was passed as promised.

As I said in my original e-mail to you, I considered this to be the deciding issue on how I am going to use my vote and you may be sure that, given your lack of concern for the interests of this constituent and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I will not be voting for you in the forthcoming General Election.

Regards,

Christian Cooke

Could someone please clarify the situation with regard to attendance in the House when legislation is being debated?

At least one poster has led me to believe that "the norm" is for only the Minister of the Department sponsoring the Bill; and representatives of the Opposition to be in the House at this time. Are other representative allowed in the House at this time? If not, isn't this wrong? If so, why weren't they there? I know where Bertie and Mata Harney were, where were the rest of them?

EDIT: If representatives are in fact allowed in the House when legislation is being debated, I will of course be following Christian's lead. My local representatives will only reappear on my ballot card if they are able to explain themselves sufficiently, and are able to give me reasonable lead times for the introduction of new legislation tackling the problems we are faced with.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

from my experieince its very rare to see a full house....even a half full house.

When a 'minor' bill* like this is happening, it seems quite normal to have only a few TDs in attendance.

*like it or not, this is a minor bill.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, with the current party political structure, the norm is for one person from each party to speak on a bill (and each independent).

As such, any communications to FG would have been handed to Jim Higgins, and and Labour communications would be handed to Brian O'Shea (although Brendan Howlin told me it would be Emmet Stagg. BTW, Brian O'Shea did a pretty good job too IMHO)

Anway, as I've mentioned, Tony Gregory told me that this was never going to go to a vote, so.....

- one person from each party speaking
    - not going to a vote (just mutual consent)

So there was no need or requirement for your TD to be there.

I wouldn't personally hold your TD's responsible. However, it would have been their duty to pass on your comments to the spokeperson from that party (or the minister in the case of FF,PD) If they didn't do that, then fine - blame them. Sitting in the Dail to watch it being discussed would have led to nothing .... AFAIK.

Advertisement