Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to respond on Gareth's show today: 3.50 p.m., 2FM!

Options
  • 18-04-2002 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Gareth O' Callaghan has announced that Eircom are going to respond to the e-mails that he has read out on his show the past couple of days on his "Net News" slot at 3.50 today. I think it should make for some interesting listening so if you get a chance take a couple of minutes out to tune into 2FM at that time and see what Eircom have to say for themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Could someone try and do a sound byte of this for later listening, please? Unfortunatley, I don't have access to audio at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I'll tape it and see if there is a way to make some sort of audio file from the tape later on. If anyone else could do a better job, though, feel free to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Itd be great if someone could do a recording of it as im sure like me their are many more who wont be able to hear it. Im stuck behind a firewall and cant get the net feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If anyone tapes it can they let me know and I'll have it put on the 'audio downloads' section of the site. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah a recording of this would be good. I canjust imagine the marketing drone from Eircom plugging "Hi-Speed" as broadband and I hope Gareth doesn't let him away with it.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Does Garreth takes calls from listeners on his show?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

http://www.rte.ie/rams/2fm.ram live stream of 2fm for the wireless-less

Gareth,

I could pretty much predict Eircom's answers to your questions at this stage, so here's a few pointer for you:

- Eircom's standard defense against a flat-rate product is that it's "not viable". However the Regulator in the UK (Oftel) has done feasibility studies and has found that it is practical and profitable for all parties involved. Eircom's only defense in light of this is that their network is incapable of handling flat-rate -- are Eircom saying that they haven't maintained their network adequately?

- Why is Eircom lobbying the Government, both directly and indirectly through IBEC, for an amendment to the Communications Bill that will remove percentage of revenue fines from the Bill? These fines will only be levied on conviction of breach of licence, is Eircom intending to break the law?

- Eircom have announced that they intend to make DSL available to one million people in the next two years, however they have also announced that they will be targetting business users only, and have no set plans for consumer products yet -- does Eircom believe that more than a quarter of the Irish population are running their own businesses?

Be tough with them Gareth, they've been misleading and conning the Irish public for years. They're going to try and brush you off with guff, please don't let them. Someone has to represent SME's and consumers.

And thank you for picking up on the topic. It's about time someone in the mainstream media did.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This should be interesting, could somone post the gist of it after its finished?

I nearly threw my radio across the room. Unfortunately, this Jonathan fella missed the mark, and Eircom had no problem defending themselves.

Another opportunity missed.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

I have put up the recording of it on my site . Jump to 29 seconds first. :)

Nothing new in it. It is the same as their official press release

Enjoy,

Lynchie

Typical, just bloody typical!

Firstly they criticise and patronise the guy who e-mailed Gareth the other day (and the rest of us, at that) saying he/we "do not understand the telecommunications industry fully and the complex issues behind all this." Then they give the usual crap about the loops being unbundled since Jan 1st 2001 but no other OLO has taken up the option. Then, to add insult to injury, they advertise the new DSL service they are about to launch and go on about the wide range of broadband services they offer, "from 64K ISDN to 155Mbit leased lines."

And that's it! The usual crap and spin from Eircom. I'm off to take a Valium and have a lie down.

Ba$tards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

was thorought disappointed with the standard Eircom response. Actaully thought they'd make an effort this time but i forgot that its Eircom we dealing with.

' The the local loop has been unbundled since January 1st and is available for a very low cost but there has been little or no interest in it from licensed OLO's '

Cant remember rest to well, was shouting at the radio a bit to loud ;)

You were shouting at your radio, eh? I almost f**ked mine out the window, only it cost me too much and I didn't want to pi$$ more money down the drain as a result of Eircom!

that it's now official:

Eircom ARE living on a completely different planet!

whats this guys e-mail address?
    ill send him a little reply saying how much bull eircom just spouted.
    But all nicely worded of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I'll listen to it wehn I get home but I would suggest a email to Gareth expressing dismay at the Marketing opportunity that his show has given Eircom and why he didn't put them to task over this issue properly.

I'll fire a mail off myself once I listen snippet tonight. Some of us do have to work.

Gandalf.

He didnt actually get to talk to an Eircom rep., he was sent a statement which he read out word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

/me bangs his head off the biggest table he can find

Typical Eircom, I wonder if they actually believe the crap they spout themselves. Spose we should be grateful that we can pay so much for the amazement of glorified 56k (ISDN) dial up, at least it brings a laugh out of my mates in England etc when I tell them about my monthly net bills and our lack of any decent broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't think we'll put it up on our audio downloads section. ;) Thanks to the people who recorded it though.

• Advertisement

ireland offline should ask 2FM to arrange a 10 minute head-to-head debate - eircom vs joe public - for the next slot....

well you could try and spout that ISDN is broadband, say that ur telco says it is , so it must be true.

Ne news on that Bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    at least it brings a laugh out of my mates in England etc when I tell them about my monthly net bills and our lack of any decent broadband.

ditto, I'm in an online gaming clan, where most members are from england/europe. you can just imagine the stick i get sometimes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by gandalf
    ... I would suggest a email to Gareth expressing dismay at the Marketing opportunity that his show has given Eircom and why he didn't put them to task over this issue properly.

Don't forget that Eircom sponsor the 2FM sports news, and an employee of 2FM wouldn't want to be seen/heard giving one of their sponsors a hard time now would they?

Expected no less from eircom's response. A head-to-head debate live on radio is whats needed but we all know that's not ever going to happen. :(

viking

Here I am to burst the bubble again Aidan... :)

Firstly they criticise and patronise the guy who e-mailed Gareth the other day (and the rest of us, at that) saying he/we "do not understand the telecommunications industry fully and the complex issues behind all this."

Unfortunately, they were right, Jonathan didn't, or alternatively Gareth cherry picked his email. The entire case presented relied on LLU, which is certainly an issue, but not one that Eircom can be tackled on very effectively. Eircom should have been tackled on yesterday's contradictory press releases, or their arguments against flat-rate, LLU should only be a side-issue. This is no reflection on Jonathan though, because his email could have been quoted out of context. Even if it wasn't, I would have said the exact same thing about a year ago. It was just a missed opportunity. Sad, but there'll be others. I'm just about to write to Questions and Answers as it happens. I'd like to see Eircom go directly up against IrelandOffline...

adam

Can i suggest getting on to the editors of Morning Ireland and the last word again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

also notice that the Eircom spokesperson didnt mention Aidans email ..cos it was solid facts and they'd be screwed!!

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Here I am to burst the bubble again Aidan... :)

Unfortunately, they were right, Jonathan didn't, or alternatively Gareth cherry picked his email. The entire case presented relied on LLU, which is certainly an issue, but not one that Eircom can be tackled on very effectively. Eircom should have been tackled on yesterday's contradictory press releases, or their arguments against flat-rate, LLU should only be a side-issue. This is no reflection on Jonathan though, because his email could have been quoted out of context. Even if it wasn't, I would have said the exact same thing about a year ago. It was just a missed opportunity. Sad, but there'll be others. I'm just about to write to Questions and Answers as it happens. I'd like to see Eircom go directly up against IrelandOffline...

adam

No, you're right. That Jonathan guy's e-mail wasn't accurate on the whole LLU issue but it was the patronising tone of the Eircom response that really got to me. They seemed to be implying that none of us know what we're talking about when, in fact, most of the Ireland Offline members and committee know more about the whole situation than most Eircom employees.

Oh well, what's done is done and this just proves, if ever it was needed, that Eircom are so far up their own ar$e$ they can see what they had for breakfast internally! lol

Originally posted by Ruu
    also notice that the Eircom spokesperson didnt mention Aidans email ..cos it was solid facts and they'd be screwed!!

I don't know if that would have been the case but I did correctly point out the situation regarding LLU in my e-mail. Unfortunately, like the plug I included for Ireland Offline, Gareth forgot to mention it. Oh well.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement