Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to Try International War Crimes

Options
  • 18-04-2002 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

According to the Irish Echo Ireland will soon be host to an International War Crimes Tribunal.

What do you think/How do you feel about that?

What advantages does Ireland bring to the table?

Will these trials bring anyone to justice?

Who should be placed on trial, and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Well its General Mladic they are after now isn't it?
    I would like to see him get the bokk thrown at him, but given the opportunities missed by the "International Community, I wouldn't be so sure".
    Let's Get em
    Imagine seeing Ariel Sharon. Hey, we can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I didn't see anything in the link about Ireland actually hosting a tribunal, just signing up to the convention.
    Personally, I voted against the amendment because I felt it could be abused by being used for political reasons, ultimately discrediting the whole notion of trying people for war crimes. A case in point, at the time of NATO bombing Yugoslavia over Kosovo, people were arguing that the bombing of the TV station in Belgrade should be classified as a war crime. This to me is ridiculous and just trivialises the whole notion of war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    A case in point, at the time of NATO bombing Yugoslavia over Kosovo, people were arguing that the bombing of the TV station in Belgrade should be classified as a war crime. This to me is ridiculous and just trivialises the whole notion of war crimes.

It was a war crime, no it wasn't genocide or a crime against humanity but it was a war crime (ask your self, would you say a particular rape wasn't a war crime?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah, there are obviously more serious war crimes than others. Israel is doing laps of them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

quote:

Foreign Affairs Minister Brian Cowen said the establishment of the court -- which will be based in The Hague -- is a historic milestone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement