Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Interface Question

• 14-05-2001 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

I have an old (1 gig.) HD and I want to put it on my UDMA66 interface beside my new 30 gig IBM in a master/slave config.
    I know it's possible but whats the preformance hit?
    Does the interface drop to ATA-2 speeds for both drives, or what?
    THANX!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

some controllers don't like it, but the 2 drives should run at their respective maximum speeds, ie the fast drive will still run at udma mode 5 or whatever. Should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Really? Excellent - goin' home to do it now.
    tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    some controllers don't like it, but the 2 drives should run at their respective maximum speeds, ie the fast drive will still run at udma mode 5 or whatever. Should be fine.</font>

I have had problems with them before, IDE disk on UDMA controller and cable didn't want to work.
    I though it was backward compatible, but hey.
    IDE disk and cable on UDMA controller seems to work though...

Would it be possible to put the disk on your
    second controller with the CD ? thats most likely an ICD cable...

Actually, its kinda odd, AFAIK UDMA cables
    are exactly the same with just an extra ground between each connection, or am I mistaken ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I've had problems with cables ok, but only in relation to cd drives. They don't seem to like udma cables sometimes, but it varies with the motherboard also, via motherboards being the worst for this. And yes, UDMA cables just have an extra ground between each connection. So its a farce that there are any compatibility issues at all, but there you go.

Advertisement