Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fooling NTL

• 18-04-2002 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

NTL is my ISP and they way they have set up their software is such that if you are away from the keyboard the connection automatically terminates, hense making downloading virtually impossible unless you remain at the computer banging away at the keyboard.

What I would like to know is, is there a program I can download that will fool the computer into thinking I am sitting at my desk browsing when in reality I'll be outside enjoying the sun (?) and having a beer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Sorry I forgot to add that it terminates after 10 MINUTES away from the keyboard. Hope that all makes sense now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hmm you try leaving a dos prompt open and ping -t www.blah.com and see if the conn still drops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Can't you make the dialup connection without using the NTL software?
    Set it up manually with the windows dialup networking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Try using a macro. That should work. You could set the computer to press a key every nine minutes or so.

I've used macro magic before and found it good. Not sure the address but it should come up if you search google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think he's on a cable conn.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Edser

There are programs out on Download.com eg.
    http://download.com.com/3000-2155-9021167.html?tag=lst-0-15 which is free or search for others in the 'Dial-up & Connectivity' section.

I don't know how good any of these are.

Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know it might just be a setting you have in your windows.

Check the modem/connection setting to see if it's set to disconnect after idle time. Also check your power management to see it's not shutting it down as well.

failing that look around for "macro" software or another I know that moves the mouse at set times is http://www.automate.com , have to pay for it though.

Or there also used to be a program that would track your downloads and log you off when finished, but it also stopped you from being disconnected. (note: I can't remember the name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Find an enourmous linux distro..start downloading it with getright, tick "ping to keep connection alive".....go outside and enjoy beer :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

The audio galaxy satellite keeps hitting the servers every 2 seconds, little bandwidth is used unless downloading songs but this should stop your connection from dropping, give it a try!

Can be obtained here..

www.audiogalaxy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Also try logging into irc, stay in an ad channel(mp3 for example), this will keep your connection alive, the ads are simple text of minute size.
    Worked for me in the past !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Uninstall the crap software NTL give you, and make your own "dial-up connection" and use the user and pass in that, do as Hobs said aswell, make sure you change the settings in the properties of "my connection" when you have it made..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know it really wouldn't surprise me if someone from NTL reads these boards. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

They probberly do :)
    But I don't think its in the terms & conditions that i *have* to use the software they provided, I'd like to use my own software that doesn't load up with a 800 * 600 pink backround with a globe on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Send me the program and I'll find the regkey or file where the termination time is stored :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    Send me the program and I'll find the regkey or file where the termination time is stored :)

Nah wont work, never used the included cd, its done by their nasty servers :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement