Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Xp not shutting down

• 18-04-2002 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I have Windows XP Proffessional installed on the comp since Janurary.Boots up fine,runs fine,but when it comes to shut down it refuses.
    I don't get any error message,instead the screen just blinks,and back to normal.
    If I close down all windows,and all running programs,it'll then shutdown with no problems.Usually they are Zone Alarm,MSN messenger and e-scorcher antivirus.
    I've tried various settings,but to no avail.I know it's not the end of the world to close the applications first,but it's a bit of a pain.
    Maybe you've already given solutions to this problem and could direct me to it.If not,any help would be much appricated.
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Lots of things can cause it. I've found AntiVirus proggys to be the most common culprit, especially if they have a Scan Floppy at Shutdown option (If yours does then disable it, it's completely useless).
    Otherwise just try and eliminate the other components by ending tasks as you have been, just one at a time. When you find the cause reinstall it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There are quite a few reasons for this.
    open Help and Support connect to the Intrnet and search the microsoft Knowledge base there are literaly loads of reasons for this.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for the help.Like you say,there could be a nice few reasons for this problem.I searched the Microsoft knowledge base and found a few pointers.
    When looking around tonight I found this site which might come in handy for anyone with this sort of a problem.
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    Again,thanks for your help

Advertisement