Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oscars

Options
  • 18-04-2002 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

ok, i dont know anything about politics so who has any thoughts on the academy awards? did you thikn the winners were the ones who most deserved to win? disappointed? pleased? srprised? whhach would you have chosen? were some good films looked over for nominations?

here are the winners (all of them)-
    BEST ACTOR
    Denzel Washington
    BEST ACTRESS
    Halle Berry
    ACTOR -- SUPPORTING
    Jim Broadbent
    ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
    Jennifer Connelly
    ART DIRECTION
    Moulin Rouge
    CINEMATOGRAPHY
    The Lord Of The Rings:
    The Fellowship Of The Ring
    COSTUME DESIGN
    Moulin Rouge
    DIRECTING
    A Beautiful Mind
    DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    Murder On A Sunday Morning
    DOCUMENTARY SHORT
    Thoth
    FILM EDITING
    Black Hawk Down
    FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    No Man's Land
    MAKEUP
    The Lord Of The Rings:
    MUSIC (SCORE)
    The Lord Of The Rings:
    MUSIC (SONG)
    Monsters, Inc.
    BEST PICTURE
    A Beautiful Mind
    SHORT -- ANIMATED
    For The Birds
    SHORT -- LIVE ACTION
    The Accountant
    SOUND
    Black Hawk
    SOUND EDITING
    Down Pearl Harbor
    VISUAL EFFECTS The Lord Of The Rings:
    WRITING (ADAPTED)
    A Beautiful Mind
    WRITING (ORIGINAL)
    Gosford Park

and Sidney Poitier and Robert Redford got lifetime achievment awards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

Didn't the Oscars happen like a month ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Biggest upsets for me were that neither of these won the awards they deserved:

LOTR (best film should've been...)

AND

50% Gray...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

i think amélie should have got best foreign film. so i didn't see the other one. but amélie is wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

the sad thing ( or is it sad?) is that i hardly saw any new movies this year. i DID like LOTR alot, though...

Am I the only one who didn't want to see LOTR? And therefore I didn't see it. Simplicity. Personally, I don't like Tolkien, Sci-Fi / Fantasy or anything illogical in general. Am I strange?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Moni

No, you aren't the only one. I didn't really want to see it, so I didn't.
    Maybe once I read the books, I might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

Russel Crowe should have gotten best Actor, it's because he started a fight at the BAFTA's that he didn't get it. Does anybody else agree that the Best Actor award should be given for Acting ability solely, not a combination of other things?

-Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

yes, the oscars were a few weeks ago. whats your point? i feel like talking about them.

I think Moulin Rouge should have won best picture. because of the three nominated films ive seen, it was the best film.

Russell Crowe was brilliant in A Beautiful Mind, but i havent seen training day, and denzel washington is always good, and in my opinion russell crowe shouldnt have won for gladiator last year. maybe it balances out a little.

amelie was really good, but it was also a romantic comedy. they tend not to do so well in the oscars. so renee zellwegger and nicole kidman didnt have much chance of getting the best actress award. and the latter would have had such a better chance if shed been nominated for The Others instead of Moulin Rouge, simply becasue it was more dramatic acting.

No point, just making sure I hadn't had some funky assed hallucination that involved me seeing a month into the future.

Advertisement