Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science

Options
  • 18-04-2002 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

which is the best/worst computer science courses to do in ireland?

i'm trying to decide what college i want to go to and any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Don't go to UCD.

DCU Computer Applications and Trinity Computer Science are seen as being currently the best in Ireland.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The course run at Dundalk IT is pretty good, thats the one i`m doing at the mo, basically computer courses are split into 2

Computer Programming(soft dev)
    Computer Applications(support)

Depends what road you wanna go down

Originally posted by pcirl.com
    The course run at Dundalk IT is pretty good, thats the one i`m doing at the mo, basically computer courses are split into 2

Computer Programming(soft dev)
    Computer Applications(support)

Depends what road you wanna go down

I don't know if I would quite agree with that. My course is labelled CA, but there's quite a range of things covered, from processor design to programming.

I wouldn't say that support is an accurate description. No one goes to college to get a qualification in support ( unless you have remarkably little ambition ). You will typicaly either come out as a programmer be it hardware/lowlevel/highlevel programming or system administration. I say typicaly, there are of course other option, teaching/research etc.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Support as everything from a PC to routers, i wouldn`t count network support as ltitle ambition. But perhaps i didn`t make myself clear. I agree with you that technical support wud be a poor choice(working for dell etc. in front of a pc helping people on the phone). There are a lot of good courses but it`s down to the individual and how much interest you have. There are people in my course who`ll tell you that they hate it, others will say it`s great. Open to discussion on this one.........

yeah i think we are just getting mixed up with our words. I see support as being dell desktop type crap. System Administration as network/machine maintenance.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

What is wrong with UCD?

The computer science course has a very bad reputation. I quite like UCD itself mind you :)

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by Phreak
    What is wrong with UCD?

Whats right with UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Just curious but why would i want to go to Trinity over UCD? UCD has a cool new building whereas Trinity has a crappy terraced house thingy

Cause you want a job at the end of the day and you want to actually like your course ?

Gav

• Advertisement

was it not the trinity CS course that none of them got jobs last year..

In my day DCU, UL and WIt were regrded as the best Computer Courses in the country.

*ahem* I don't think many people from many courses got jobs last year...

did they ... ?

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭papashiv0

quote:
    Originally posted by Phreak
    What is wrong with UCD?

Nothing is really that wrong with UCD but its a bit big and there are so many assh0les and Ag Science heads with wellies that it just kinda sucks.
    The lovelly gray Concentration camp style buildings don't do much to help it either and the library lookslike a big pill box.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

UL has a great Comp SYS course but they keep changin it, im in my third year, and they have changed the course. We only did C++ for my 3 years, but they're offering C++, Java and a load of web based languages and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

sorry, thats keep changing the course for each first year, not keep changing is as you go through it. Its fairly comprehensive,

for example this year ive done Computer Graphics in Java, AI, Networks, Human Computer Interaction, Programming Language Tech, The entire internals of Linux, though they aint doing that anymore, by the way i recommend Operating Systems with Linux, by John O Gorman, if u want to know the internals of linux, without getting incredibly techical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

UL, WIT or DCU. I have heard nothing but bad things about the computer course in Trinity.

Originally posted by Verb
    *ahem* I don't think many people from many courses got jobs last year...

did they ... ?

Gav

well not everyone... i know what 10/15 from ca who got jobs... cept me.... so i came back for another year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by papashiv0

Nothing is really that wrong with UCD but its a bit big and there are so many assh0les and Ag Science heads with wellies that it just kinda sucks.
    The lovelly gray Concentration camp style buildings don't do much to help it either and the library lookslike a big pill box.

You need to be a fan of anonimity to enjoy it :). The pure CS course I've heard is bollox for the first 2 years, but the CS/Science course (my one), I've found is fine. Lot of BS in it though. That said, go to DIT or DCU (they're just plain better for work experience).

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

well I am on the queen's computer science degree course, I would recommend it, do a extra year at the end and you come out with a MSc. Heck we even get our own building complete with t3 line just for ourselves. Lectures aren't bad either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

considering no one has posted about my course i will. I am currently in 2nd yr. of computer science (software development and internet systems formal course title) in DIT Kevin st. It is a fairly new course only in its 3rd year. it covers a wide range of computing subjects. You would be best looking for the prospectus on the website http://www.dit.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Jelvon
    well I am on the queen's computer science degree course, I would recommend it, do a extra year at the end and you come out with a MSc. Heck we even get our own building complete with t3 line just for ourselves. Lectures aren't bad either :)

yeah, i'm seriously considering queens. if i get a choice, i'd choose either Dublin or Belfast. Dublin because i know my way around(especially UCD area. i used to live near there) and belfast because its not as far away as dublin from where i live now and basically internet access is ****e in the south and with eircom in charge i could be on 56k for the next 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

NUI Maynooth is awful. Don't touch it with a barge pole. Great great college, awful course. Very confused about what kind of graduate they want at the end of it. Inevitably they'll get bad ones then.

If I was doing it over again I would go to CA in DCU. Superb course, well focused with good to very good lecturers.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Excelsior
    NUI Maynooth is awful. Don't touch it with a barge pole. Great great college, awful course. Very confused about what kind of graduate they want at the end of it. Inevitably they'll get bad ones then.
    The CS degree or the CSSE course? The CSSE has been a bit of a shamples alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Excelsior

If I was doing it over again I would go to CA in DCU. Superb course, well focused with good to very good lecturers.

I know a few people doing CA in DCU - all say it's tough, but worth it

Wouldn't know for certain as didn't go there myself mind you ;)

I wouldn't say it's excessively tough really. A bit of common sense needed and a lot of work in third year and fourth year ( I'll let you know about that one in a year), but it's all quite doable. Just needs work !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Verb
    I wouldn't say it's excessively tough really. A bit of common sense needed and a lot of work in third year and fourth year ( I'll let you know about that one in a year), but it's all quite doable. Just needs work !

Gav

Yup, the guys I know are in years 3 + 4 of the degree ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'd have to say that the Computer Systems course at UL is fairly good, being a 4th year, just finished up my undergrad formal lectures today. Kinda tough for the first year or two, then it comes out of the haze a bit. Great facilities, lots of mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

I.T Tallaght is pretty good at the Moment:

One Draw Back: The Lack of Computers :mad: They Basically take on too many students at one time and that really puts the strain on ya to have assignements in on time :(

Originally posted by BuffyBoy

Yup, the guys I know are in years 3 + 4 of the degree ;)

the 4th yrs would be doing the old format of the degree which was/is harder than the newer format with the streaming from 2nd year..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I did the course in dundalk & then moved down to NCI a few years ago, nci was very good (lectureers really were into their work which was great) then I did my mcse & ccna, got a great job about 18 months ago. I highly recommend nci, & I hear they've moved down to a new campus in the IFSC

Advertisement