Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isa or Pci?

• 19-04-2002 10:51am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok this has probably been answered here before but what I want to know what is the better of the 2-an Isa modem or A PCI modem.
    The reason I ask is because I have just "acquired" a USR v90 isa modem and was wondering would it be better than a pci internal modem which I think is a a hardware modem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

a hardware modem is better than a software modem.
    There would be no difference ( i assume ) in speed between a pci and isa card because the speed the modem works at is far below the limits of both.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Might be a small bit more 'manual' to set up, but it also affords you more control :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The USR modem could very well be a winmodem. It should be written on it if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If your board hase an ISA slot then by all means use it and free up your PCI slots which could be used for other components. U.S Robotics aren`t keen on upgrading drivers so this could also be an issue if you intend to use either WinME(god why),Win2k or XP. The speed difference won`t matter as modem trudges along slowly(hey thanks eircom) anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

pcirl.com

Nice site.

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by logic1

Nice site.

.logic.

I'm stunned. I was expecting a sarcastic rebuff of any and all comments that pcirl may have made.

u feelin ok ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Don`t worry guys i been shot down with sarcasm in other threads

Advertisement