Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vascectomy (?sp)

Options
  • 19-04-2002 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one ?
    Don't think I'll get one anytime soon, but am curious. Heard lot's of bad things about them. Painful, complications etc..

any comments from anyone that had one would be good.

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I could give you a description of exactly what they do. It's very straightforward. My dad got one after 4 kids. He never complained, but then my Mum was i the room at the time (he was explaining). Afaik, complications are rare, it's literally just a matter of snip snip.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

please god no. Anything but that thats not even funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Mmm, I'm not sure if the tech has been perfected yet - Occy might have a better idea - but there's been a lot of talk about being able to perform vasectomies non-intrusively using ultrasound. You'd be in and out in about two hours, start to finish, and it's *allegedly* reversible as well.

In terms of complications and so on - it's quite a common operation and as far as I know the percentage of people who have post-operation trouble is very low indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've heard of births being had after vasectomys but then again I've heard that Jesus' face was seen on a potato.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eating

as i said

effects of a vascectomy is that you will be sterile

no high voice
    no pain pissing

it involves knotting up a tube that is not directly related to urnination

{this ofcourse applies only to males}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I "heard" that there is a guy version of the pill coming out which apparantly is 100% effective! Maybe the person who told me was just taking the piss, I don't know. Has anyone else heard about this?

Much easier than a vasectomy!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not sure how reversible it is - I've heard comments about the immune system developing anti-bodies to your sperm (after all your sperm have a different genetic make-up to you).

Pain is probably more psychological than real, not that there would be no pain.
    http://www.associatedurologists.com/faq.html

QUESTION: What is involved in a vasectomy?

The vasectomy is a fairly simple procedure and one the doctors do many of each year. The procedure is performed in the office and takes only a few minutes to complete. A small opening is made in the scrotum (sometimes two openings depending upon the exact procedure your doctor follows) and sections of the vas defrens (sperm ducts) are removed. After their removal, the vas defrens are clamped off with permanently installed small stainless steel clips and the opening is either closed with sutures or left to heal naturally (again, the exact procedure is dependent upon the technique chosen by your doctor). Immediately following the procedure the patient is dismissed from the office and advised to return to home and rest for the next couple of days. A follow-up appointment for a semen analysis is recommended six weeks after surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eating

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    I "heard" that there is a guy version of the pill coming out which apparantly is 100% effective! Maybe the person who told me was just taking the piss, I don't know. Has anyone else heard about this?

Much easier than a vasectomy!
    my gf is on the pill , and its not 100% effective , so use protection aswell.

i'm sure if i took the pill it would stop me having periods too ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    does anyone know if it is covered by BUPA or VHI ?
    or would the health board cover it ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Now that generic .ie names are allowed...

http://www.vasectomy.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

did a quick search on google and found a site with details for the "male pill" However it seems that its only 99% effective.

http://www.pillformen.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by eating
    {this ofcourse applies only to males}
    A vasectomy is a male-only op. Women get a hysterectomy or tube-tying, both far more major than the old "snip-snip".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Listen to this:

*Sharp implement*

*Scrotum*

Do you really want to hear those two in the same sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by mayhem#
    Listen to this:

*Sharp implement*

*Scrotum*

Do you really want to hear those two in the same sentence?

typically male, I assume you're in the favour of the woman getting "fixed" ?

:rolleyes:

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by smiles

typically male, I assume you're in the favour of the woman getting "fixed" ?

:rolleyes:

<< Fio >>

Typically female, jumping to conclusions without checking all the facts...;-)

What facts would they be?

What other alternatives would you offer?

<< Fio >>

What other alternatives would you offer?
    He's saying he wouldn't get a vasectomy, not that women should have a tube-tying or a hysterectomy.

Vasectomy isn't ever necessary. It's just another option to prevent unwanted children. There are other means of contraceptives.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    He's saying he wouldn't get a vasectomy, not that women should have a tube-tying or a hysterectomy.

Vasectomy isn't ever necessary. It's just another option to prevent unwanted children. There are other means of contraceptives.

Other almost 100% methods?

and no the pill doesnt count.

<< Fio >>

Other almost 100% methods? and no the pill doesnt count.
    Stop winding people up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Victor
    Stop winding people up!
    stop replying to spam with spam... don't make me edit j0o asses!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stupid question time.. but serious... if someone had one.. and basically its just a tied off tube... can it be undone?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Saruman
    Stupid question time.. but serious... if someone had one.. and basically its just a tied off tube... can it be undone?

Yes, but there are no guarantees AFAIK.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yes, but there are no guarantees AFAIK.

That is correct Victor, it's something you should not get done until you are well and truely sure, as it can be reversed but no with guarantees.
    A doctor will not perform this operation unless you are over 30 years of age. It's a very simple operation done under local anesthetic and you are out in a few hours. It's no big deal and I think for men it's a mental thing - nobody's touching the family jewels!

hysterectomy or tube-tying,

Justhalf - under no circumstances would a doctor perform a hysterectomy on a women for these purposes, you get your tubes tied which is more complicated and done under anesthetic you will spend a day in a hospital , you are over it in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Cant you get your little guys frozen ?
    Incase you ever need some again ......

...On another note my friend won a competion in Boston 2 years
    ago on fathers day and guess what was the prize?
    He didnt get it though cuz they sent him a cheque to have it done and he just spent it.....still great fathers day presant idea;)

Stop winding people up!

I don't wind people up.
    I was expressing my opinions.
    There is a difference.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Beruthiel

A doctor will not perform this operation unless you are over 30 years of age

Thats discrimination. I am 27 and I have thought of getting the snip. How can I be refused this procedure.

Naturally I would go private.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond

Thats discrimination. I am 27 and I have thought of getting the snip. How can I be refused this procedure.

Naturally I would go private.

I believe they think that by the age of 30 you should know what you're doing and if you had wanted to have kids you'd probably have thought/done something about it by then

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

Not sure how reversible it is - I've heard comments about the immune system developing anti-bodies to your sperm (after all your sperm have a different genetic make-up to you)..

my x had a vesectomy after our last child in 1994

he got it reversed in 2000 to spite me so he told me and got the g/f pregnant, they had a little boy on the 11 sept 2001

fools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

Originally posted by Saruman

they dont tie it they actually cut a length off so it cannot re connect naturally, when you et it reconnected the have to tug and streatch !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sally.ie

hi gav.. i dont know your age or whatever... but i would say to you.. please dont ever think of getting the snip snip done,you never know when you might need a real live sack full:)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    Justhalf - under no circumstances would a doctor perform a hysterectomy on a women for these purposes, you get your tubes tied which is more complicated and done under anesthetic you will spend a day in a hospital , you are over it in a week.
    I know. Hysterectomy does the job, but is usually done for different reasons (like cancer).

And I think they're terrible operations, but women keep talking about how "simple" it is to get your nads opened.

You never know, I might end up having one eventually, but YIKES like.

OW!

Advertisement