Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time and tide

Options
  • 19-04-2002 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

At the bottom of posts it says "All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01 PM."

Strictly speaking, the use of the term "Greenwich Mean Time" was superceded in 1972. We use UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) now. There are actually differences between GMT and UTC http://www.apparent-wind.com/gmt-explained.html

And strictly speaking we are at present using BST, or British Summer Time.

And I object to the use of the 12-hour clock and AM/PM. We should use the 24-hour clock like sane people.

For more information on this cool topic, see my colleague Markus Kuhn's site: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html#time
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

and yoda's past campaign's
    1. the euro/euros call
    2. the census
    and now telling the time.

you sure are some pedant !

all good points mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Actually we're using Irish Summer Time ;) Unfortunately vB limits us to GMT +/- X hours, however I have taken your 24 hour clock point to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

The euro/euros campaign is ongoing. I received at last an unsatisfactory response from the Minister's private secretary.

Had a response from the CSO on the census matter actually which I will post to the boards in due course.

Can the boards software be modified to correct this time thingy?

I'm not a pedant. I'm a standardizer.

OK, I'm a pedant too. One of my favourite lines in Quills (about the life of the Marquis de Sade) was at the end where the head of the psychiatric hospital has put all the patients to producing books. "The compulsives we have set the type."

Oh you forgot my little rant about the appalling standard of spelling on these boards. Makes me really wonder what Irish schools teach.

Originally posted by Cloud
    Actually we're using Irish Summer Time ;) Unfortunately vB limits us to GMT +/- X hours, however I have taken your 24 hour clock point to heart.

It really ought to say, at present " "All times are UTC+01. The time now is 13:01." and then in Winter just say UTC.

I did check the Summer Time thing and found that ha ha! IST does exist, insofar as the following are equivalent:

BST  British Summer Time (UTC +1 hour)
    IST  Irish Summer Time (UTC +1 hour)
    WEST  Western Europe Summer Time (UTC +1 hour)

http://208.30.42.17/logistics/tzhelp.asp

Originally posted by Cloud
    however I have taken your 24 hour clock point to heart.

Golly, thanks! I'm so pleased.

I wrote to the RTÉ Guide once complaining that my video player was standard 24-hour display and that it just irritated the bejesus out of me that the Guide was in 12-hour time. Naturally I never got a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

It seems that I can only change this manually so I can either just leave it at GMT, or manually change it to IST / UTC between winter and summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by boards.ie
    All times are IST. The time now is 14:41.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Yoda
    For more information on this cool topic, see my colleague Markus Kuhn's site: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html#time

Markus Kuhn!!!! I know him. He's the crypto guy, ex sky hacker ;)

How comes you know him?

Markus and I met electronically via the Unicode list. Met him once when I was in Cambridge. He's very sound. A campaigner of sorts; see his web site for info about paper sizes, for instance, especially his hope that we will abandon point sizes and use metric measurements for fonts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I didn't know he was into all that, he was very good at the smart cards stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

Originally posted by Yoda
    Oh you forgot my little rant about the appalling standard of spelling on these boards. Makes me really wonder what Irish schools teach.
    I've always maintained (well...not here, but when queried) that there needs to be a conscious differentiation made between spelling errors and typos. For the most part, it is generally obvious whether someone doesn't know the korrekt spelling for a word, or hjas just been typing too fast and hit a wrong or extra key. They're symptoms of two separate phenomena -- one, education and vocabulary knowledge -- and the other, the care and effort of re-reading and editing what one has written.

I hate to see someone criticized for bad spelling, when their real problem is bad typing or editing skills, not spelling.

Advertisement