Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98SE

• 16-05-2001 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Right I'm going to wipe my machine clean and re-install Win98SE (until such time as I've put enough memory in it for W2K), anyone know of a good checklist/step-by-step guide that might help stop me from forgetting something(backing up necessary drivers etc.)

For the record W98SE has been happily installed since Oct 99 and has only recently started to get sluggish (I've heard a lot of people here complaining about the amount of times they've had to re-install it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Drivers arent usually the problem, its re-installing software that takes the most time.
    make sure you have a zipdisk/cdr with the installers for all the usual applications (winzip etc.)

Just check the Device Manager in System Properties to get a list of hardware you might need drivers for.

If you use the Update option a lot it may be worth zipping up the "Windows Update Setup Files" folder.. could save you downloading IE5.5 and Windows patchs again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Also...

Note down your internet settings, passwords, and any other data programs may be storing.

If you use Outlook express, consider exporting messages and address book and backing up the data files.

If you have multiple partitions, the other partitions may be used for storage if you don't have a zip or cd burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Have a burner so I'm alright in terms of space to back stuff up, I just know I'm going to forget something

Advertisement