Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Vs ntl

Options
  • 19-04-2002 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question but, I've had sky for over a year in my old house but a house change necesitates a new sky installation. Just found out that ntl digital is also available in my area and the offer sounds fairly good. Does anyone have opinions on the contrasting services, is sky a much better offering or are there benefits to ntl (i prefer the idea of not having a dish on my house but ..) It looks like ntl don't have the same sort of channel offering as sky, but they do have ITV & CH4, any recommendations ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Have a look at the relevant threads on the Cable forum to find out what people think of NTL's digital service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

NTL - no text on digital channels no interactive features (maybe in 6 - 12 months per NTL). 35 ish extra channels. Reception could be better.

SKY Dig - Dish required. No ITV/ C4. Interactive services available.

Prior to the re-organisation of NTL here into NTL Ireland and the U.K-I would have reccomended NTL.
    This is simply because you can still access the analog ntl service (when you subscribe to their go-digital package) from any point throughout your house if you have a socket wired for it.
    I would always recommend an Irish digital service where possible.
    If however you troll through the Cable and mmds Board, you will read many down points.
    mm
    p.s-I did subscribe to the British service ITV digital-but that was only out of curiosity-honest:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cbkingston

Again, conscious that this isn't really a forum for discussing ntl but useful info all the same, why are ntl charging a €68 signup cost, do they have to put in new cabling or something? i thought all they had to do was wire up a set top box, I'd probably give ntl a go if the install cost was zero or a nominal amount knowing I had nothing to lose, I presume theres no minimum sign up period, if its crap then just get rid of it in a month or two and go running back to sky!

BTW are sky still running their half price installation offer, supposed to finish in April 4, but looks like its still on offer, if its anything like UK, the next offer will probablty be sky for €1 or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'll push this towards the Cable/MMDS forum, leaving a redirect on the Digital Satellite board.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cbkingston
    Again, conscious that this isn't really a forum for discussing ntl but useful info all the same, why are ntl charging a €68 signup cost, do they have to put in new cabling or something? i thought all they had to do was wire up a set top box, I'd probably give ntl a go if the install cost was zero or a nominal amount knowing I had nothing to lose, I presume theres no minimum sign up period, if its crap then just get rid of it in a month or two and go running back to sky!

BTW are sky still running their half price installation offer, supposed to finish in April 4, but looks like its still on offer, if its anything like UK, the next offer will probablty be sky for €1 or something...
    They are probably thinking €68 for digital instalation to cover the cost of the installer/standard cabling/socket etc.
    It's a bit fishy alright that it's a similar enough charge to that of a sky instalation...
    But then if there was no Sky,they'd probably force you to buy the STB aswell.

Sky according to Tony on the digital satelite board are running their instalation offer on into may,ie it didn't end on april 4.
    mm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by SKYDIGI.20M.COM
    SKYDIGITAL is the best digital tv company in the world.

Yes, that's a contribution. Or just an excuse to put your rather large banner ad?

ATTN: Post deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

/pats ICDG on the back...well done chap..cigar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

Chernobyl what is that weird contraption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rbarry

that is the best example of using a single dish to scan the horizons with a fixed position I've ever seen! Man you must be able to pick up the full ark with that thing!

Getting back to Mountjoy Mugger... the cost is purely token for isntall.... A few years ago you'd have been stung for the box as well and been lucky to get away with a 350 E bill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Brings a whole new meaning to SETI@home there chernobyl

Advertisement