Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where adsl is available?

Options
  • 19-04-2002 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

"Telecom Eireann is conducting an ADSL test programme in Dublin. The exchanges involved appear to be Malahide, Portmarnock, Ballyboden, Rathmines, Dundrum and Lucan. These are the exchanges listed in the feedback forms on the website and also in the user reports. At the time of writing, the most recent user feedback was dated 31/10/1998. "

http://www.iol.ie/~kooltek/teadsl.html

I live in the Malahide/Portmarnock area and when I rang to see if my exchange was upgraded they said it wasn't and would be soon. So who do I believe? If it was upgraded its hardly been 'downgraded'..... but it wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

On another note that was supposedly four years ago....and we're only just about to get the service (well some of us!). Makes ya laugh hey?

ambrose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

nobody except people on the trials have the service. Welcome to the world of eircom.
    (its being launched real soon tho....this time they mean it.. honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

for a few hundred euros a month at that.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Tizlox
    for a few hundred euros a month at that.:mad:

totally completely and utterly brimming over with wrongability.

It's €49 p/m wholesale.

This will amount to nowhere near your "few hundred euros a month".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Bard
    It's €49 p/m wholesale.

This will amount to nowhere near your "few hundred euros a month".
    The last numbers we saw amount to nearly 300 euro a month for the closest equivalent to a £25 service in the UK. I think it's highly unlikely Eircom will drop that below 200 euro when they finally release their retail prices, but it remains to be see what the other operators have to offer. Still, even at 300 euro it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

The last numbers we saw amount to nearly 300 euro a month for the closest equivalent to a £25 service in the UK. I think it's highly unlikely Eircom will drop that below 200 euro when they finally release their retail prices, but it remains to be see what the other operators have to offer. Still, even at 300 euro it's better than nothing.

what are you talking about. What did they try to release for €300???

Adsl was going to be sold for €99 (exc. vat)

or there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by sikes

or there abouts.

I am afraid that he is correct. I was interested in the higher speed non-capped offering and the monthly cost was very close to Euro 300 including VAT. There were four offerings and the least expensive was Euro 133 including VAT.

Of course this discussion is somewhat irrelevant as we do not yet know what Eircom is planning to do regarding price. But as they will be offering the higher speed service at Euro 79 wholesale it is unlikely that they could charge more than twice this for retail. Assuming that the retail price is twice the wholesale price then it should cost just under Euro 200 including VAT per month but if this is what they decide they are giving companies such as Esat plenty of opportunity to undercut them by offering something like the following Euro 79 plus 39.5 markup bring the VAT inclusive price to Euro 143.39.

My prediction is that the lowest cost service will be between Eur0 80 and Euro 90 and that the higher speed service will be between 140 and 170.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by sikes

That proposed service only gave you 2% of an ADSL line - roughly fourteen hours per month usage. That can't be regarded as comparable to the unrestricted offerings in the UK, which are also faster (double the upstream).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Rathmines exchange is upgraded and was told on phone that they would be given the prices in a weeks time. Er, but thats eircom saying this so you never know what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I phoned the ADSL line today just for kicks (my teeth being the target) and though i was suprise to find a rather nice helpfull bloke on the other end he only confirmed my fears.He said going on my number (067) it will be at least two years before ill even get a sniff at ADSL he also went on to say only citys are being "DONE":D atm and more rural locations will probably be in a similar time frame.So there you have it the digital dived has been widened by two years.He also said that €49 was the wholesale price and that he reckoned it would cost €70 for the service hearsay i know but whoo knows :).

Stone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

lol, i got dsl for free til next september while ye moan and groan about when it is comin out and how expensive it is.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Everyone loves a gloater.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

dsl certainly does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

May your line shrivel up and become unusable May lighting fry your expencive modem and may Eircom start charging by the second for your ADSL without telling you and then in six month demand €10000 in arears.

Have a nice day Gloater :D

Stone

Advertisement