Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Cases

Options
  • 19-04-2002 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Right ladies, one of you must know, my question is this:

is it a good idea to spray/paint a case a certain colour?, and if so, what are the best tools to use, and how do you paint the plasticy bit...

Do any of you have any guides or something similar to help me on my quest of a dark bl00 case?

Regards in advance,

- noog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

there was a leet link to a nice tutorial on this

search freffagsf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

PCGamer did a guide on case modding, including spraying, cutting a big hole in the side and sticking floresent lights in this big hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

p.s , this is what Drugged-up-eddy got with his sprayed sidepanel, it all wore off :\, but it looed leet when it was first done...

DSC00138.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I should have a guide up on my (shíte) site this weekend
    http://frink.nuigalway.ie/~syxpak/box_modding.htm is the preliminary part, with before photos. have some dodgey pixilated photos of the finished article on the new page when it's finished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

There are loads of sites with guides on how to do it all ;)

gwan syx, nice clean work :)

I have my botch job together atm, just finished rounding all my cables and tidying it up a bit yesterday, I'd post pic's but unfortunately I have no camera .....

300w codegen psu
    Asus K7M motherboard amd751 Nb via Vt82c686a Sb bios v.1009
    Slot A athlon 750 @ 800mhz, 107fsb 1.63vcore
    256mb pc100 cl2 ram
    8gb maxtor 7200rpm - primary master ATA 66
    20gb WD 7200rpm - primary slave ATA 66
    Creative 4x Cdrw - Secondary master ATA 33
    Hercules Geforce 2 Gts Pro 64mb - core @220mhz, ram @468mhz
    Yamaha DS-XG soundcard
    3com 3C905C-TX 10/100Mbit NIC
    Trust 56k USB voice/fax modem
    Siemens Nixdorf 14" monitor max res 800x600 32bpp @75hz
    OS - win2k Pro Sp2.

I have 2x80mm fans one taking air in cooling mainly the gfx card and mobo, the other is an exhaust fan under the psu at the back of the case. Then there's another exhaust fan under the psu positoned over the cpu and it's a small cpu fan I took off a titan cooler but boy oh boy does it move that stale air outta there ;)
    cpu itself has a dual fan set up but I'm looking to cut my heatsink down to size for stock cooling (main power connector on mobo is blocking me from doing that atm if you know the board you'll know what I mean :(

So what needs to be finished, well I have a big aul sheet of stainless steel that I have to cut, hack and drill in order to make my nice shiny silver side for the case. I got it from a few lads on a building site (cheers lads!). What I really want is something like what is layed out in this article at tomshardware. If anyone has one lying about gathering dust then I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a couple of quid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

ha!, you guys post when i gave up and made a start myself, here's what i was doing earlier today:

DSC00141.JPG

Not sure if that's the correct way to start, but what they hell!

I'll be posting more pictures of my case modifications as they progress.

hehe :)
    I used a belt sander to do it, though I had quite a high grade of sand paper, very coarse stuff.
    I'll be using much smoother stuff for the next case.

If you want to paint the plastic bezel i seriously suggest lightl sanding it with fine sand paper first, then cleaning it and spraying with plastic Car Bumper primer stuff.
    I got some in a motor store in Galway, about €8.
    This stuff melts the surface of the plastic slightly and then bonds with it, letting the paint stick to something a little more adhesive then the bare plastic. orska treat, just apply it in small layers and leave plenty of timebetween coats (say an hour and a half or more if possible
    Do any and al spraying in as dust-free an environment as you can, and it shouldn't be too cold or too hot.
    The garage with some sheets thrown down or something should be ok, just let any dust settle for a bit after putting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think I will paint my case soon as well, a matt black would be perfect. I've almost finished modding the case as far as cooling goes. I'll follow tactical anni's example and post up the spec.

Fortrex full tower case
    300w seasonic psu
    Abit Be6-II v2.0 Raid (i440bx) bios 72 highpoint bios 2.02
    Slot 1 p3 600e @ 933 @ 155 fsb, 1.75 vcore, cb0 stepping
    256 mb crucial pc133 cas2 ram
    IBM 75GXP 45gb on ATA 100
    Crap 4x cdrw for the moment (have to get a new cdrw and dvd)
    Creative geforce2 gts with replacement heatsinks.
    Creative sblive value.
    Intel PRO/100+ nic
    Eicon Diva pro 2.0 Isdn terminal adaptor.
    Gericom 19" flat crt monitor (from lidl)
    Ms optical
    Packard bell fm radio card(!)
    Homemade infrared remote reciever (currently mounting on front)
    Win2k pro sp2

Cooling consists of the following:
    Alpha p3125s on the cpu, with 2 ystech 60mm 26cfm fans. Heatsink modded to allow all ram slots to be used.
    80mm exhaust at usual spot on the back of the case, below the psu.
    "Ultimate" Hard drive cooler (blue heatsink with 2 fans at front.
    80mm exhaust in the top of the case (gimmick :) )
    120mm intake in the front. This fan moves huge amounts of air, and cools all the cards.
    I still have to do major work on the front bezel, I made a rough hole with a dremel, I may just make up a new steel front for the case.

All fans are at 5 volts for quietness, also I fitted insulation from hardware packaging to side panels, and around the hard drive.
    A spray job will improve the case no end, I reckon matt black. Going to sand the case smooth, but not down to the metal, after all there is existing primer there.

Full details of this will be up on a new Irish technology website going live very soon.

gerry, will you be posting details of teh Winamp controller mod?
    Could you at least put up a component list and I can get to work this week on it.
    Might try and intergrate a fan speed circuitinto it aswell :)
    When playing MP3s, fans slow down, when playing games, speed up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Syx, its all in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37240&highlight=remote

The tweakhardware site has the list of components.
    The actual reciever component is on this peats page:

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=2068&type=6&sid=148720x0

If I had a camera I'd take loads of photos of the reciever. I will as soon as I get one.

I'm going to be building a few more of these soon, selling them to friends. Going to get a bit of circuit board and do a much neater job from now on. Task 1: Cut most of the wire off the components.

• Advertisement

I might be able to pick most of the stuff up from the Elec. Eng. Dept. in college.
    Could get it started today :)

Advertisement