Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIA Infrastructure Debate 2nd May 2002

Options
  • 19-04-2002 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Got this from an IIA mailing list.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    THE INFRASTRUCTURE DEBATE
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Venue: Arthouse, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    Date: Thursday 2nd May 2002
    Time: 6.00pm registration for 6.30pm start
    Cost: FREE to IIA Members. Non-Members EUR20.00
    payable on door

Sponsored by:

COLT Telecom
    http://www.colt-telecom.ie

Brief:

The event will begin with a brief presentation setting
    the scene of
    Infrastructure in Ireland. This will be followed by an
    interactive
    audience/panel discussion tackling infrastructure
    issues in Ireland.
    Attendees will also be given an opportunity to submit
    questions to the
    event chair before the event. Attend this event and
    have your say on
    this critical Irish issue.

Panelists:

Karlin Lillington, The Irish Times
    Niall O'Donnchu, Department of Public Enterprise
    Gary Keogh, COLT Telecom
    Soula Evans, Eircom
    John Doherty, ODTR
    Declan Hughes, Forfas

Event Chair: Colm Reilly, IIA

Register:
    Members Free, non members EUR20.00 @ the door
    mailto:events@iia.ie?subject=Register_2_May_Dublin_Event
    or
    mailto:events@iia.ie
    with "Register for 2 May Dublin Event" in subject field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Soula Evans is a marketing stooge.

I'm not trying to put off anyone going by any means (I'm genuinely sure it will be an interesting evening), but if you think you'll get a single knowledgable answer out of that woman with regard to the technologies, provision of same, timetables for provision of same or anything else useful, you will be waiting.

Now, while I'm not saying she's an idiot by any means, she does a very good impression of one.

It won't matter if the rest of the panel figure out the woman hasn't a clue - she will go away without having realised it.

The woman is a liability for Eircom in such a setting. They may get away without substantially answering any questions on the basis of her "not being a technical person... but 47% of the Irish people have no interest in the Internet" (direct quotes - and I have them on tape) but Soula manages to give the impression on behalf of her company that they believe they can fob off their customers with gormless ignorance (particularly when they're still sending her to these things).

(note: the above message has been swept for libel and slander and has been found to contain neither (particularly on the basis that something can't be libellous if it's true)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I agree with you, sceptre. What's the betting that Soula will use this debate as another chance for Eircom to re-hash the things we heard about at the seminar, we've read about in the press, heard on TV and radio, heard on Gareth O' Callaghan's radio show on 2FM yesterday, etc., etc.

I don't actually think that Eircom have the imagination to come up with anything new to say, at this stage. Whenever anyone asks them any kind of question they seem to reply with exactly the same press release and statistics as before.

I bet if you asked an Eircom representative what the time was the conversation would go something like this:

You: "Excuse me, do you have the time?"

Eircom Rep.: "47% of the population have no interest in the internet. Flat-rate internet access is not commercially viable. Who needs DSL when you can use our fantastic Hi-Speed service!"

You: "Ummm, sorry, I wanted to know what time it was?"

E.R.: "The loops have been unbundled since last year and Eircom cannot be held responsible if none of the other operators want to use this service."

You: "No, you don't seem to understand the question. What time is it, please?"

E.R.: "Well you don't seem to understand the complexities of the telecommunications industry. Stop picking on us. We're just poor little Eircom, struggling to make ends meet. Why oh why is everyone against us. I'm tired of this conversation now and I'm leaving. Goodbye!"

This isn't a joke, folks. I'm serious. This is the way Eircom employees seem to have been trained to answer any kind of question the are asked nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It was a joke. And it was funny too.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Jpaulik
    Got this from an IIA mailing list.
    Attendees will also be given an opportunity to submit
    questions to the
    event chair before the event.

Forgive me for being cynical but I think that IIA does not want to embarrass any of the panel with complex and loaded questions - hence the preselection of questions. It has the potential for conflict hence Eircom sends a marketing droid in the hope (Largely justified as Eircom has sponsored IIA events in the past.) that IIA will give them an easy time. As for IIA, most of their actions seem as effective as a philosophers' strike. [1]

Regards...jmcc
    [1] ObRef: HHGTG

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by sceptre
    Soula Evans is a marketing stooge.

I'm not trying to put off anyone going by any means (I'm genuinely sure it will be an interesting evening), but if you think you'll get a single knowledgable answer out of that woman with regard to the technologies, provision of same, timetables for provision of same or anything else useful, you will be waiting.

(note: the above message has been swept for libel and slander and has been found to contain neither (particularly on the basis that something can't be libellous if it's true)

I must admit that when I saw that Soula Evans was listed I decided not to waste my time attending. I am not willing to pay to have that lady insult my intelligence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement